Spank818

Brian Gaysian
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 4.19
Ok, so talking on the Westy thread got me thinking. Is it time for a true global professional golf tour? I know that some sports have and will try to attempt this. I believe that this is the only professional sport that can achieve this.

I understand that it's possible that this will never happen due to egos and wallets but with the PGA Tour losing a few sponsors and the Euro Tour losing their desert swing altogether in a few years couldn't there be a better time to start thinking of this?

Thoughts?

Honestly, I like the way it is for the most part. The WGC events and the Majors bring talent from all over the world.

i am not so sure that it would work, mostly b/c the powers that be look at everything from a business stand point and i'm not sure if it makes sense right now. however, if it was implemented, golf could be played year round and i think ultimately, that the sponsorship money could be far greater, especially when you garauntee the top 50 in a larger % of events.

i would love to see it happen myself.

I believe Greg Norman brought this up before too, I think in the early to mid 90's.

It's definitely a good idea IMO, but I think in reality it couldn't work effectively. Especially seeing as the European Tour plays all over the world already. Adding in the PGA guys would complicate things. Besides, then what would you do for a PGA/European Tour rivalry?

Honestly, I like the way it is for the most part. The WGC events and the Majors bring talent from all over the world.

And those would still be part of the global tour. Wouldn't you like to see the world's best play in events like that for a whole season week after week and not just once a month? You can put to rest the "who's the best in the world" argument.

i am not so sure that it would work, mostly b/c the powers that be look at everything from a business stand point and i'm not sure if it makes sense right now. however, if it was implemented, golf could be played year round and i think ultimately, that the sponsorship money could be far greater, especially when you garauntee the top 50 in a larger % of events.

i would love to see it happen myself.

I think business wise it would attract sponsors that normally wouldn't sponsor or have anything to do with golf because of the truly global audience it would attract. Also in this scenario it would be easier for regional business to sponsor because the demands are much less for the local tours.

What I'm saying is not to eliminate the PGA and the Euro tours. I say develop a mega tour with a worldwide ranking system that invoke membership in and out of the tour. Slim down and refine all regional tours (PGA, Euro, Pan-Asian) to attract more loyal sponsorship and better talent. Use the 2016 olympics as a global spring board to cross promote all tours.

Are people going to have to sacrifice to do this? Yes. Viewership will have to decide whether or not to match the global tour event in Japan with a 12 hour difference or delay or the Bob Hope Classic live or both. Will some glamorous events in the US and Europe have to take a back seat to an event that has a better name field? Yes. And I think that's the biggest stumbling block is that people don't want to "sacrifice" in order to make it happen. But in the grand scheme is there really much to sacrifice?

And those would still be part of the global tour. Wouldn't you like to see the world's best play in events like that for a whole season week after week and not just once a month? You can put to rest the "who's the best in the world" argument.

I think business wise it would attract sponsors that normally wouldn't sponsor or have anything to do with golf because of the truly global audience it would attract. Also in this scenario it would be easier for regional business to sponsor because the demands are much less for the local tours.

What I'm saying is not to eliminate the PGA and the Euro tours. I say develop a mega tour with a worldwide ranking system that invoke membership in and out of the tour. Slim down and refine all regional tours (PGA, Euro, Pan-Asian) to attract more loyal sponsorship and better talent. Use the 2016 olympics as a global spring board to cross promote all tours.

Are people going to have to sacrifice to do this? Yes. Viewership will have to decide whether or not to match the global tour event in Japan with a 12 hour difference or delay or the Bob Hope Classic live or both. Will some glamorous events in the US and Europe have to take a back seat to an event that has a better name field? Yes. And I think that's the biggest stumbling block is that people don't want to "sacrifice" in order to make it happen. But in the grand scheme is there really much to sacrifice?

You make some really good points here. The stumbling point will be the "sacrifice" aspect you mentioned. No one will want to sacrifice. I'm sure both major tours would not want their events playing second fiddle to a global event.

Ok, so talking on the Westy thread got me thinking. Is it time for a true global professional golf tour? I know that some sports have and will try to attempt this. I believe that this is the only professional sport that can achieve this.

I understand that it's possible that this will never happen due to egos and wallets but with the PGA Tour losing a few sponsors and the Euro Tour losing their desert swing altogether in a few years couldn't there be a better time to start thinking of this?

Thoughts?

I agree. The time has come.

You make some really good points here. The stumbling point will be the "sacrifice" aspect you mentioned. No one will want to sacrifice. I'm sure both major tours would not want their events playing second fiddle to a global event.

9I, isn't that what's happening now? I'll just use this week as an example. Look at the Bob Hope. Back in the day it was a big draw for players and sponsors due to the celebrity factor. Now it's looking for a sponsor, barely afloat, and players would rather be at Abu Dhabi because the purse is larger.

In the scenario stated Abu Dhabi would be the global event with the larger sponsor, lower Bob Hope's sponsorship requirements, and being that Abu Dhabi would be more exclusive due to much stringier qualifying you would see more talent in Bob Hope than in years previous because it would also attract some Euro talent that wouldn't have qualified for Abu Dhabi like in previous years like a Manassero or a Schwartzel. Euro tour gets a week off because the mega event is on "their soil" and being that both tours are slimmed down, logistically it would work. Plus Abu Dhabi would be able to attract a large global company from the US to sponsor and the city doesn't lose it's event (which I think it's due after 2012).

Sacrifice: North American viewership would have to watch in the middle of the night for live coverage or buy a DVR.

BTW, this could also be a win for TGC because they could get exclusivity with the live coverage being at the hour it's at and TGC viewers that clamor for actual golf coverage 24/7.

9I, isn't that what's happening now? I'll just use this week as an example. Look at the Bob Hope. Back in the day it was a big draw for players and sponsors due to the celebrity factor. Now it's looking for a sponsor, barely afloat, and players would rather be at Abu Dhabi because the purse is larger.

In the scenario stated Abu Dhabi would be the global event with the larger sponsor, lower Bob Hope's sponsorship requirements, and being that Abu Dhabi would be more exclusive due to much stringier qualifying you would see more talent in Bob Hope than in years previous because it would also attract some Euro talent that wouldn't have qualified for Abu Dhabi like in previous years like a Manassero or a Schwartzel. Euro tour gets a week off because the mega event is on "their soil" and being that both tours are slimmed down, logistically it would work. Plus Abu Dhabi would be able to attract a large global company from the US to sponsor and the city doesn't lose it's event (which I think it's due after 2012).

Sacrifice: North American viewership would have to watch in the middle of the night for live coverage or buy a DVR.

BTW, this could also be a win for TGC because they could get exclusivity with the live coverage being at the hour it's at and TGC viewers that clamor for actual golf coverage 24/7.

I can't argue with that. I am all for a higher up Global Tour, but fear that organizations such as the PGA won't like their talent leaving. Case in point. Viewership is way down when Tiger doesn't play or isn't in contention. So a player of Tiger's caliber (assuming he can regain his game) would be a shoe in for a Global Tour and people would watch that, but it would be at the cost of viewership for the PGA. Unless the PGA had a huge stake in a Global Tour, they'd loose money. And no one likes that.

A Global Tour would have to be heavily governed by the existing organizations to ensure they got a piece of the action otherwise who would watch anything else if the big names are always playing the Global events.

I can't argue with that. I am all for a higher up Global Tour, but fear that organizations such as the PGA won't like their talent leaving. Case in point. Viewership is way down when Tiger doesn't play or isn't in contention. So a player of Tiger's caliber (assuming he can regain his game) would be a shoe in for a Global Tour and people would watch that, but it would be at the cost of viewership for the PGA. Unless the PGA had a huge stake in a Global Tour, they'd loose money. And no one likes that.

A Global Tour would have to be heavily governed by the existing organizations to ensure they got a piece of the action otherwise who would watch anything else if the big names are always playing the Global events.

That's true... the wallet rules the roost. You can throw in ego as well like for some of the events that would not be part of the Global Tour hierarchy. Well, throw that into the sacrifices bin. :D

I just don't see a strong North American viewership for a tape delayed or oddly timed event. No viewers = no sponsors.

That's true... the wallet rules the roost. You can throw in ego as well like for some of the events that would not be part of the Global Tour hierarchy. Well, throw that into the sacrifices bin. :D

I just don't see a strong North American viewership for a tape delayed or oddly timed event. No viewers = no sponsors.

The concept still needs a lot of tweeking to be viable IMO. Definitely something to aspire to, but would still be hard to pull off. Sponsor wise, viewer wise, money wise. We all like to watch live, and sure I've gotten up super early to catch the British open, but staying up all night for an event in China just wouldn't happen for me. As it would with a lot of people I'd think.

I agree on the first part but I don't see it as much as a drop off if the competition is there. Besides local viewership in whatever venue they choose should make up for it. If the event is being held in China for example you're actually going to get a spike in viewership if the competition and prestige is there. Look at the Beijing Olympics. The power of a billion people can't be denied. As far as sponsorship, yes for a regional company it would make zero sense to sponsor. I can't imagine Farmer's Insurance sponsoring an event being held in Abu Dhabi. What it does though is attract more global sponsors that may not have even thought about sponsoring events prior. Apple, McDonalds, Wal-Mart, etc. Global corporations that have a large stake in markets like the Middle East, China, the Pacific Rim, etc. Those are the ones with the dough and the backing plus global clout to want to sponsor an event that large. And, cha ching, more money.

The concept still needs a lot of tweeking to be viable IMO. Definitely something to aspire to, but would still be hard to pull off. Sponsor wise, viewer wise, money wise. We all like to watch live, and sure I've gotten up super early to catch the British open, but staying up all night for an event in China just wouldn't happen for me. As it would with a lot of people I'd think.

Yes, absolutely a lot of tweaking is required because wouldn't it happen already if it was that easy. I just think that timing wise you couldn't have asked for a better scenario. A confluence of events as one might say. We just need to believe that it's doable and drop the regional bias. Think on a more global scale.

I agree on the first part but I don't see it as much as a drop off if the competition is there. Besides local viewership in whatever venue they choose should make up for it. If the event is being held in China for example you're actually going to get a spike in viewership if the competition and prestige is there. Look at the Beijing Olympics. The power of a billion people can't be denied. As far as sponsorship, yes for a regional company it would make zero sense to sponsor. I can't imagine Farmer's Insurance sponsoring an event being held in Abu Dhabi. What it does though is attract more global sponsors that may not have even thought about sponsoring events prior. Apple, McDonalds, Wal-Mart, etc. Global corporations that have a large stake in markets like the Middle East, China, the Pacific Rim, etc. Those are the ones with the dough and the backing plus global clout to want to sponsor an event that large. And, cha ching, more money.

Yes, absolutely a lot of tweaking is required because wouldn't it happen already if it was that easy. I just think that timing wise you couldn't have asked for a better scenario. A confluence of events as one might say. We just need to believe that it's doable and drop the regional bias. Think on a more global scale.

Agree 100%. Maybe the first step takes place right here.... I mean if the people get on board, maybe the Tours can be influenced....?

Agree 100%. Maybe the first step takes place right here.... I mean if the people get on board, maybe the Tours can be influenced....?

Doubt it because there will be a lot of naysayers but it's a thought right? Viva la Revolucion via THP? :D

Some good points on both sides. I'm of the opinion that both tours should be kept separate. The WGC's and the Majors mean something because of the top talent they bring in and that adds excitement. Make every week the top golfers and the excitement kind of dies away. The pros probably wouldn't want that because yes the purse would probably be a lot bigger but the money would be spread out between the top players and not the majority of players.

Some good points on both sides. I'm of the opinion that both tours should be kept separate. The WGC's and the Majors mean something because of the top talent they bring in and that adds excitement. Make every week the top golfers and the excitement kind of dies away. The pros probably wouldn't want that because yes the purse would probably be a lot bigger but the money would be spread out between the top players and not the majority of players.

another good point but shouldn't the guys who should be making the most money be the best at their craft? i see it more of a performance based type of pay, which golf is truly about, but man, it would make some of these guys sweat a little more, which is always a good thing.

another good point but shouldn't the guys who should be making the most money be the best at their craft? i see it more of a performance based type of pay, which golf is truly about, but man, it would make some of these guys sweat a little more, which is always a good thing.

Being that they are all individual contractors you can see a risk reward scenario coming into play as well. Do I spend a ton of money flying halfway across the world to tee it up against the best and maybe come away short handed or do I stay at home and play it safe and go for a somewhat guaranteed pay day? (this scenario would obviously only apply to someone who has qualified for the Global Tour)

Being that they are all individual contractors you can see a risk reward scenario coming into play as well. Do I spend a ton of money flying halfway across the world to tee it up against the best and maybe come away short handed or do I stay at home and play it safe and go for a somewhat guaranteed pay day? (this scenario would obviously only apply to someone who has qualified for the Global Tour)

oh i agree with you completely. it would truly bring the best of the best together. sure, one could make a comfortable living by not travelling all over but does that answer the one big question for all of these guys: "do i stack up against the absolute best"?

i'd love to see this happen, i think it would attribute to more and more golf being played, creating more and more jobs, and ultimately, doing far more good than bad. look at golf course development, it's all moving overseas, b/c that's where the money is. shouldn't the tour consider following suit?

I think it will attract more golfers as well locally and globally. It could really be the one and only truly global professional sport.

I think it will attract more golfers as well locally and globally. It could really be the one and only truly global professional sport.

it really could. i'm interested to see how received it is in 2012 w/the olympics. i hope so headliners decide to play for their countries.

Golf could not doubt be the one and only global sport, but like mentionned before money rules the professional world. I can't see the purses growing exponentially and if you go global it means less and less chance of someone making it to that level and getting paid so you would need to demand ever more money from sponsors. Would it be fun to watch top level guys duke it out every week, absolutely. But to struggle to make money as a pro while Tiger (or the next dominant force comes along) get even richer??

it really could. i'm interested to see how received it is in 2012 w/the olympics. i hope so headliners decide to play for their countries.

I'm thinking it will get huge ratings. Better than most existing summer sports.

Not going to be there dude. It starts 2016 in Rio. That's why I think the timing is right. They could use 2012 London to gauge and increase global awareness through marketing with a bridge to 2016 Rio (on a personal and a corporate level). A couple of years to develop a system and logistics and then use 2016 Rio as a launching pad.

Back