Golf Digest Hot List

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Just received mine... glad I don't pay for this magazine. Just shaking my head. I know, I know ... don't pay it any attention.

I tend to have a lot of time in cruise to view magazines on my iPad. I got tired of Golf Digest and some of the stuff they put out. Didn't renew.

Haven't seen the list. What's it saying?

I tend to have a lot of time in cruise to view magazines on my iPad. I got tired of Golf Digest and some of the stuff they put out. Didn't renew.

Haven't seen the list. What's it saying?

They put the F5 and C200 irons on the Silver list.

Of course they did. The Gold is from the exact same manufacturers every year.
I gave up on that list a long time ago.

Are you basing your opinion of the list on ratings that one company received?

I haven't seen this year's list, but I do wish they gave less gold ratings and made it more of a gold/silver/bronze/honorable mention type of system.

Here is the formula: (Ad Dollars Spent) = Ranking

Pretty easy formula honestly.

If I read the explanatory intro correctly, they have all these experts and testers but the points/votes are only by the two Judges/GD editors. The others, scientists, players, etc provide "insights".

Are you basing your opinion of the list on ratings that one company received?
I am admittedly a bit of a W/S homer, but no denying these irons flat out work. There are a number of other head scratchers though, from drivers to putters.

They really do some companies a disservice with these sh!t ratings though.

I'm not saying that a company like Callaway, or TaylorMade, doesn't deserve to be on the gold list because their equipment probably does, but I'd bet my entire bag that the W/S gear is comparable.

I haven't paid it any attention in years. What I do know and can't for is in April at Hammock beach THP will #ChangeTheGame with Club Clash. Real data from regular golfers. Live updates and immediate feedback.

I dont want to call anybody biased based on advertising. Like the writers of THP, Mike and Mike are not compensated by companies. Its a thankless job and no matter what you do, people complain.

Easy solution would have been to let the testing take place by the people. No reason to dictate what is best, when data collection is so easy nowadays. And just because THP is at the forefront of that, we expect others to follow suit as well.

The only thing I will say is that the amount of companies that shared disdain for this list was rather staggering considering many that said so were gold medal winners.

I will add that the idea that buzz/demand is what matters is kind of funny, considering their track record with those predictions for the last decade have been absolutely awful.

I trust real people's opinions (THP) over these magazine's any day of the week. The magazines ratings are a joke. I agree that they actually hurt good offerings because very few people have any faith in their ratings.

I put all of zero stock into the hot list, but I'll tell you what... Are they wrong with the C200?

Performance: 4/5
Innovation: 4.5/5
Look/Sound/Feel: 3/5
Demand: 2/5

Is demand a realistic factor for a brand new iron? I don't really think so, but whatever.
Does having a handful of slots surrounding the head look strange? They think so (and that's totally fair).

Again, I don't think much of the list, but is it that much of a stretch?

For me the demand category/criteria will always be the most mind boggling aspect of the entire thing.

Hogan is another really nice sample.

4/5 performance
5/5 innovation
4/5 Look/Sound/Feel
1/5 demand

instant demotion to silver. It's actually kind of funny (if you aren't one of the ones working your butt off trying to build great golf clubs).

Always dislike the buzz or demand category. But one thing I did notice last week. Had multiple companies mention that they were in on the hot list this year. It was a big deal to them regardless of the color medal they won, and I think that's pretty cool.

I put all of zero stock into the hot list, but I'll tell you what... Are they wrong with the C200?

Is demand a realistic factor for a brand new iron? I don't really think so, but whatever.
Does having a handful of slots surrounding the head look strange? They think so (and that's totally fair).

Can you really discount the innovation and performance in these irons, and give credit to innovation and performance (full stars) to irons doing similar (and to some degree lesser) things?

Performance: That is what I am looking for!
Innovation: Don't care as look as it performs well.
Look/Sound/Feel: Part of performance.
Demand: Yes, I demand good performance.

For me, it's only about performance.

Well they missed the mark on the sound and feel. None of us were bothered with the looks (some guys mentioned the slots initially but soon forgot about them). The sound and feel were a 5. If the slots bother some, fine. 4/5

We all had increase in distance with great forgiveness. 5/5

Innovation. Flex Face. Totally tech'd out. 5/5

Demand. They got it. 2/5. Wilson needs to work on that. Not sure why demand needs to be factored in. If a club performs than really that should be what counts. Perhaps if GD gave this club a gold star based on merit, demand would be up.

Here is the formula: (Ad Dollars Spent) = Ranking

Pretty easy formula honestly.

Dead on. The only reviews that matter are THP reviews.

I won't waste my time looking at it. I get better information here and someone to answer my questions. No doubt it's a big undertaking for these guys to go through the clubs and rank them but I'm good and don't need the info.

Two very good examples of the buzz category singlehandedly taking down two very good clubs to silver. Although, it is called the hot list, not the best of list, so perhaps they consider buzz as a factor of a club being "hot"? Either way, it's always an ok skim only. The feedback quips are always the same and the gripes are always non factors that say nothing about the performance of the club. I suppose it's a good way to get a lot of the casual golfing set interested in the new line of equipment each year.

For places other than THP I do like the way golf spy does their testing. THP is really good as well. In the end you should be testing options on any large purchase and make up your own mind.

Can you really discount the innovation and performance in these irons, and give credit to innovation and performance (full stars) to irons doing similar (and to some degree lesser) things?

I don't agree with the inclusion of look/sound/feel or demand in a hot list. At all. I don't write my reviews for THP based on what I prefer and I don't think anyone else should either. That is the kind of arrogance that drives me crazy.

I also can't adequately discount or grade the technology or performance of these irons personally because I have only hit one iron twice. That's why I asked the question "are they wrong?" because I don't pretend to know. I figured even 4/5 and 4.5/5 would at least net a club a gold rating.

Dead on. The only reviews that matter are THP reviews.

I really doubt I'll read a golf magazine at all this year unless I stumble across one on a plane or in a doctor's office. All the reviews I need are here!

Back