Greatest American Rock Band?

Yeah, sorry. I don’t have many strongly held beliefs but I believe we have stumbled into one. But how about this, next time we play, I’ll concede a single Green Day song in the middle of the round (can’t start or finish to it). Can we be friends now?

To quote Aerosmith....Dream On.

The Aerosmith part is way more egregious

Yeah, sorry. I don’t have many strongly held beliefs but I believe we have stumbled into one. But how about this, next time we play, I’ll concede a single Green Day song in the middle of the round (can’t start or finish to it). Can we be friends now?
Oh when we play, it’ll be 90’s hip hop my friend.

Had Duane not got on that motorcycle the Allman brothers would be a lock. Tom Petty & Heartbreakers is hard to argue. Grateful Dead & Creedence probably should have got a mention by now. Like the Rage & Soundgarden 90's shout outs over Pearl Jam. Aerosmith pre 1980 is nails. Steely Dan is underrated as are Soul Asylum, the Pretenders (Chrissie MF'n Hynde), the Black Crowes & Iggy Pop (with and w/o the Stooges).

To quote Aerosmith....Dream On.

The Aerosmith part is way more egregious
Oh, then who cares. I nothing the band. If it’s on, it can play. If it’s skipped, I wouldn’t notice.

Hendrix, Stevie Ray & Satriani for guitar dudes...

Oh, then who cares. I nothing the band. If it’s on, it can play. If it’s skipped, I wouldn’t notice.

I’m warming up to you again.

Boom, I’m in. I’ll listen to to just about anything but I do love to bounce genres. Except for Green Day.

Yes I’m sure. Metallica is a poor and sad representation of metal music. They just vomited out stuff they heard from way better bands. They just aren’t original at IMO. There aren’t any American metal bands that could ever be considered the best, they were all from across the pond. Just my opinion.

I can't decide whether to be apologetic or simply express the reality that I had zero musical upbringing. My Dad listened to Dire Straits and the Big Chill soundtrack. My Mom listened to Toni Braxton. It's easy for me to connect with Foo or REM or groups like that.. Go back too far and it's just totally lost on me, sadly.

Man. I love Dire Straits.

The Chronic and Straight Outta Compton need to be on that playlist (even though SOC was '88). Also need some Too Short, Run-DMC and Beasties.

Had Duane not got on that motorcycle the Allman brothers would be a lock. Tom Petty & Heartbreakers is hard to argue. Grateful Dead & Creedence probably should have got a mention by now. Like the Rage & Soundgarden 90's shout outs over Pearl Jam. Aerosmith pre 1980 is nails. Steely Dan is underrated as are Soul Asylum, the Pretenders (Chrissie MF'n Hynde), the Black Crowes & Iggy Pop (with and w/o the Stooges).
Steely Dan is highly underrated. Highly.

The Chronic and Straight Outta Compton need to be on that playlist (even though SOC was '88). Also need some Too Short, Run-DMC and Beasties.

Steely Dan is highly underrated. Highly.
Steely Dan is an AMAZING band.

Neil young oh cinnamon girl I love you

Brothers in arms is the correct answer if the question is greatest album ever. Mark Knopler doesn’t get near enough love when greatest guitarist gets brought up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God I love the Crowes.

Will some

which part? The fact that I nothing Aerosmith? Or the part that i would rather hear meatloaf fart into a tuba on repeat than a single Green Day song?
YES! A million times yes. I’m really not trying to be pretentious but Green Day should just disappear from the planet. The fact people think that is punk makes me want to stab myself in the face. I was literally LOLing at meatloaf farting in a tuba. I feel the same way about most of the bands mentioned here. Give me meatloaf farts all day.

I just never got the Grateful Dead. Listened to some of their stuff, but couldn't get into them. Creedence got a mention or two further upthread. I dig them, but I still laugh at how a bunch of San Francisco Haight-Ashbury hippies somehow transformed themselves into a bayou swamp rock band.

My first thought was the Eagles. Credence Clearwater Revival and Nirvana basically invented new sounds that redifned American rock so they are in the mix. The Beach Boys were so great the Beatles copied them. But when push comes to shove I’m going with Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.

Now we are talking! So original and so talented. I kinda forget about mark knopler, insane guitar player.
I think everyone forgets about him, which is a travesty.

Back