Our upscale muni (Papago) is $166 after noon today. Weekend green fees right now are $100 goat track and close to $200 or more for good courses.

This is the peak season.
With pitchers and catchers reporting! Our Spring Training traffic will start coming through.

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

With pitchers and catchers reporting! Our Spring Training traffic will start coming through.

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX
This is just a brutal time to play in PHX. Between Waste Open and Spring Training, I think I play more in Tucson than PHX.

I paid $3,800 this year for a family membership at the nicest public access course in the Knoxville area. It gets everyone who lives in the house all the golf they can eat and all the range time they can stomach. Carts are extra - but we walk. The facilities are quite dated - but we do not hang out there. The beer choices are dumb so I drink at home. The hot dogs are too fat - so I have an Uncrustable in the bag. We get standing tee times every Sat and Sun morning and it's no problem for the wife and I to play a date night 9 on Thur or Fri. I go there after work most days and just play practice holes until it gets dark. It's two and a half miles from my house. The course itself is very well maintained - very few complaints.

I'm technically old enough for a senior membership - which is stupid cheap - but then you are limited to M-Th before noon.

It depends on what's driving the price up. Of course economics determine the price.

Vacationing / retired snowbirds, corporate events, visitors for golf tourney or other events, etc. They are the ones bringing in the money. Us locals are the ones who get the **** end of the stick. No tee times and exorbitant pricing. Again, many have chimed in with a common theme.
This is more of an issue with tourism/local governments not incentivizing deals for locals more than it is a golf issue though. This is like residents of Colorado for ski lift prices vs. lift tickets in the East.

Honest question: are all these green fees being quoted just green fees or also including a cart?

What's a round of golf cost around Phoenix these days? In San Diego, a weekend green fee at a goat track is about $60, and a more upscale muni is around $100. And that's in a densely populated desert with intense pressure on land and water.
Goat track is $100, anything nicer is $250 plus. I paid $166 for wigwam which is just an average tree lined old course.

Honest question: are all these green fees being quoted just green fees or also including a cart?
Most courses in PHX include cart. Very rare to have a different walking rate. Some even include range balls.

Most courses in PHX include cart. Very rare to have a different walking rate. Some even include range balls.

This is a really great point.

Twilight rounds are typically only slightly reduced. I'm not aware of a walking rate anywhere other than maybe some of the executive / 9 hole tracks. Not using a cart should absolutely be a decrease in green fee. It's actually a shame, because I'd rather walk this time a year so long as the course allows it. Kinda hard to walk Quintero or Troon.

Range balls are usually included, but I know of a few courses that charge for balls, too.

A stock Ai Smoke is 600 dollars, with more than enough shaft options.

Wanting a 350 dollar shaft at no upcharge is as unrealistic today was it was back then wanting the fancy AD-Di Orange.

Everything costs more. 100 dollars as an increase to a driver is nothing compared to the rise in other costs. I am ALL for being critical on pricing, but this is not a good example.
Okay, first off I don't spend that kind of money on clubs, I buy used or new previous models to help keep the price down, so much of this discussion doesn't apply to me personally as far as equipment goes, but I just had to respond to this one. You say that you can get this highly rated current driver $600, and then state that the $100 increase for a driver is nothing compared to the rise in other costs. ...... THAT'S A 20% INCREASE! Not exactly what I'd call nothing.

Anyway, I agree that golf prices have gone through the roof, equipment and cost to play, but also agree that it's not just golf. Like everything else now days, some of the increases are justifiable, or at least explainable, and some really aren't.

Okay, first off I don't spend that kind of money on clubs, I buy used or new previous models to help keep the price down, so much of this discussion doesn't apply to me personally as far as equipment goes, but I just had to respond to this one. You say that you can get this highly rated current driver $600, and then state that the $100 increase for a driver is nothing compared to the rise in other costs. ...... THAT'S A 20% INCREASE! Not exactly what I'd call nothing.

Anyway, I agree that golf prices have gone through the roof, equipment and cost to play, but also agree that it's not just golf. Like everything else now days, some of the increases are justifiable, or at least explainable, and some really aren't.
I think my argument is viable compared to other things in this world that have increased in pricing. Buy eggs recently? A Big Mac? Steak?

I'll take 20% on any of those from prices four years ago and run like hell.

Same around here, except for some of the Munis, and a practice I personally have a problem with. A walking rate really should be available.

I think my argument is viable compared to other things in this world that have increased in pricing. Buy eggs recently? A Big Mac? Steak?

I'll take 20% on any of those from prices four years ago and run like hell.

What is your average price for a midrange course in Ohio?

Is there a link to this data? Our information is vastly different.
The club at our development in west central FL built a couple of simulator bays. I haven't been to it (yet) but will ask around as to how much use they're getting. My guess in that they're probably seeing use by the hard core golf guys on those days in the winter when it's in the 40's. Honestly, I'd much rather play outdoors in temps anywhere from the mid-50's and up. I'd go to a simulator, if invited, or if i was trying out a club.... otherwise, there are other things to do on a cold day.

I feel lucky and that my city course is the best value in golf for how stupid inexpensive the membership is for residents.

I’ve never paid $200 a round anywhere and few courses I think I would
Where in Utah?

I have just started out, and I know golf is a game that I really can't afford on the regular. I am a middle school teacher and barely make $65,000/yr (and I am in my 26th year). Me and the wife together do great (she is the breadwinner), but I know I will never be able to keep up with being a regular golfer. Not joining a country club because #1 not in the budget with our son just starting to drive and his college coming up in 1.5 years. Reason #2 is the weather. I swear it never stops raining here or feels that way. And then it is pretty during the week and rains on the weekend. I know many will laugh about this: I am interested in the sport, and it has always intrigued me like the unsolvable puzzle. I am mainly interested in getting a good swing down, hitting the ball straight, and doing good/great at the range and the restaurant/simulator we have here in town. If I am invited to play golf with someone, I will take them up on that offer. Someone replied to the original poster about an indoor setup. I am headed in that direction for my retirement (only 5 years left). I think the indoor setup is the best idea ever. I love the ones posted in THP forums.
Do you live in the PNW?

I hear ya. Golf prices have rocketed near me. Granted I’m in Monterey which isn’t exactly the cheapest area, but you can’t get a round anywhere round here now for less than $60. Hasn’t put people off though, all courses are still packed!

You're right, I definitely get my money's worth. The year before Covid I tallied what I paid per round and it came to $4.61. Also included in the monthly dues are a gym, heated bays, grass range (both with Top Tracer Range), a 9 hole short course, grass pitching range, and practice greens. No food or drink minimum either.

I have family in Northeast Tennessee and in that area golf is still very reasonably priced. I guess it depends what part of the country you live in.
I wish my club had a gym.

Just a couple years ago TaylorMade offered about 50+ different shafts if you were to pick up a new driver. The majority of them were a free upgrade. Drivers on average were about $499, which was already too much.

Equipment costs too much.
Most OEMs still offer a large number of shaft options for no upcharge. For example I just checked the new Qi10 and there are 40+ shaft options that are no upcharge. The price has gone up to $599 but you can definitely find a non stock shaft that doesn't add significantly to the price

Where in Utah?
I’m south of Salt Lake, Utah County.

Between $40-$60 is common for 18 holes and cart. It can get more expensive at a couple of courses in St. George but nothing nearing what it sounds like in Phoenix.

My local course is $75 a month for unlimited Mon-Fri. I just got an email they were raising the price by $2 a month. Seems about the best deal out there.

At one time golf was mainly for retirees, doctors, lawyers and the wealthy.

Tiger changed that for a long time but I can see golf going back to a hobby for the wealthy.

I would have thought the golf boom in recent years would have caused more to open vs. close. Is there a main cause for the closures?
For a lot of course owners it’s as simple as there’s a bigger return in selling the land to developers than running a golf course.

For a lot of course owners it’s as simple as there’s a bigger return in selling the land to developers than running a golf course.
Definitely in your area!! I used to love coming down to play the 4 courses at Wild Wing. Those were some nice courses they got rid of!

That doesnt really answer my question though. It was regarding in the south more indoor rounds than outdoor at facilities.
Let me ask you a question?
Knowing what you know, and thinking growth potential and profit margins, if you had the option of buying a golf course or an indoor facility which would you choose?
I live in one of the most golf crazy areas in the country and the Top Golf and indoor facilities are booked solid every day. That goes for practice bays at places like PGASS and Golf Galaxy also. From what I see, sim golf is the wave of the future.
The only thing that might be slowing its growth right now is that a lot of older golfers ( who are still the bread and butter for most courses) aren’t familiar with or are unaware of sim golf. In a few more years, that won’t be the case and I’d be willing to wager there will be more people playing sims than actual golf courses.

Definitely in your area!! I used to love coming down to play the 4 courses at Wild Wing. Those were some nice courses they got rid of!
Sadly, yes.
I can’t even remember all the courses that have closed in the 14 years I’ve been down here…

What is your average price for a midrange course in Ohio?
I am still not saying anything about pricing of tee times. My comments are 100% reserved for equipment per my quotes.

Also, to answer anyways, WAY cheaper than AZ in February lmao

Back