Have the fans at the WM taken it too far?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We all love the stadium hole and the fun it gives us each year but it seems fans push the limits further and its goes from fun to stupidity. This year they had to suspend alcohol sales on Saturday because people can't control themselves. We've seen people tumbling down hills covered in mud, a fan running on to the course doing sand angels in the bunker.... likely done for clicks. We saw a few players visibly upset at the fans even though most of the players embrace it and seem to enjoy it. Do you think any changes happen going forward?

I’m sure they’ll neuter it and turn it into just another tour stop.

It's turned into a rock concert, with most of the fans on the lawn. They may as well have mosh pits too. I know some of the Pro's were not having a good time

I think theyve went to far. But, theyve also created the monster. Do i think changes will happen? I think some small tweaks will happen sure. Maybe dont start selling alcohol till like 11am. Hard to say. That also wouldnt prevent people from tailgaiting prior.

While this is and always has been a fun tournament to watch and attend, I think its gotten a little off putting. If they can reel it in some, i think its all for the better.

I thought I heard the alcohol sales being suspended was because of the poor grounds conditions??? I could be wrong.

I’m sure they’ll neuter it and turn it into just another tour stop.
I doubt they go that far. Its a brand in and of itself. There are some tweaks that can be made that prevent it from being monotonous like every other event. But i dont think it totally has to change......

I think they need to do something. Now, this year was probably worse due to that long wait between rounds on Saturday, but it definitely went too far this year. That said, they've spent so much money growing the size of the stadium and suite numbers each year, that it'll always have some semblance of being "the party" event for the Tour.

I think theyve went to far. But, theyve also created the monster. Do i think changes will happen? I think some small tweaks will happen sure. Maybe dont start selling alcohol till like 11am. Hard to say. That also would prevent people from tailgaiting prior.

While this is and always has been a fun tournament to watch and attend, I think its gotten a little off putting. If they can reel it in some, i think its all for the better.
THis.

No - in order to compete against the golf but louder league they need an event like this.

I think theyve went to far. But, theyve also created the monster. Do i think changes will happen? I think some small tweaks will happen sure. Maybe dont start selling alcohol till like 11am. Hard to say. That also would prevent people from tailgaiting prior.

I think they just need to reel it in a little bit, how I don't know but they have to do something.

I doubt they go that far. Its a brand in and of itself. There are some tweaks that can be made that prevent it from being monotonous like every other event. But i dont think it totally has to change......
The Tour doesn’t know the grey, they’ve proven they live in the extremes.

I think they just need to reel it in a little bit, how I don't know but they have to do something.
yep. totally agree. I also dont think doing that waters it down to "every other tour event"

I think it went too far this year. It seemed like the pros loved it the last two years but this year was a pretty bad look. Not sure how they fix it but they need to. Some of the videos I’ve seen were not good

6 hrs of delays. Mud. Stupid snow city tourists. It was a bad year. If you had a round 2 ticket you were able to come in on Saturday so they let way too many people in not thinking about it. That will change.

The only other things I can think to do that are reasonable is to make every seat at 16 an assigned seat. No more general admission so that takes care of the line. Having a wristband to purchase alcohol so you can't purchase more than say 6 drinks the entire time you are on site.

Last edited:
Just raise the price on booze. If you become THE boozy tour event and it goes too far then the answer is make the booze a lot more expensive. That’s what the Derby did and the crowd stayed the same size, still drank, but got a lot less wild.

People just need to not be idiots. Go, be loud, party and have fun, but dont be a freaking idiot and go streaking or jump on the course and dive in to a bunker.

Yes, it needs to be dialed back. It's gone way beyond fun into drunken stupidity. It doesn't need to be turned into "just another Tour event", but it's progressively gotten worse and worse and is now, as Ben An referred to it on X, a "sh*tshow".

I think the organization who runs the event saw where the line officially is. That was what 11 looks like. The Thunderbirds will assess and make tweaks as necessary. For the amount of money they bring to the Scottsdale area through the WMPO, they aren’t going to dismantle and make it a completely boring tour stop.

There will absolutely be some changes made though. Wouldn’t surprise me to see cops actually start doing something in the event prior to them causing disruption to play. Hand out a few disorderly conduct arrests, and it may start to police itself.

For the ASU kids? Get your act together a bit, this isn’t your freshman year.

I don't view the 16th as a golf tourney. It's more of a reason to gather and get stupid. They need to pull the reigns in on the 16th. Assigned seats and controls on drinking. Maybe just double the cost of drinks.

Yes, it needs to be dialed back. It's gone way beyond fun into drunken stupidity. It doesn't need to be turned into "just another Tour event", but it's progressively gotten worse and worse and is now, as Ben An referred to it on X, a "sh*tshow".
It went from going to watch golf and drink a beer and cheer to go drink a beer and party with golf going on in the background.

I feel like we had this thread or one very similar to it last year too.

Yeah probably needs to be dialed back a bit. There is good fun and there is this clusterf**ck of a frat party masquerading as a golf tournament

I "used" to like watching it, especially for the 15, 16, 17 18 finish, great set of holes......but, i hate the propensity of having to wait while they clean up 16 for the next group if the cans start coming down. Its jumped the shark, they need to reign it back in

Yes. A bit too far. I love love love drunken shenanigans, but especially in this day of legalized gambling I always get a bit nervous when fans enter the playing field.

i was out after last year when the fans threw beer onto the 16th green. making putts is difficult on even the most perfect greens; throw in outside influences and i would think it becomes all that much more difficult. not every guy on tour is a gazillionaire who sees no difference to his life whether he cashes a check for first or t21. for some guys, a big check can mean keeping their card, gaining some confidence, and maybe getting a w that will give them status for many years. the tournament needs to protect the field, and imho wmpo lost control of this.

Over the top, but the idiots got their hashtag, tik tok crap.

Back