Have the fans at the WM taken it too far?

I imagine there is a limit since Friday and Saturday sold out
That is the thing. They announced a few days before the event that GA was sold out. However, they didn’t announce how many of those that they sold.

Last year also had PGA players taking their shirts off and gyrating on the green
A PGA player should should never take his cap or shirt off when there might be cameras around. SMOFUGLY.

Fine line for me. I like the fact it’s a little rowdy, but when you mix lightweights with lite beer, things often get out of hand.

Last year also had PGA players taking their shirts off and gyrating on the green. The media, pga and fan celebrated that.
I’m all here for Harry Higgs having fun.

Finally settled in to catch up and a few thoughts.
  1. The PGAT & The Thunderbirds had to know something like this past weekend was inevitable based on how the event has grown. Not only in notoriety with the locals but nationally. People have been scheduling bachelor parties and bachelorette parties around this thing so you are inviting the chaos
  2. I think you can still have the "atmosphere" whether contained to 16 or not and still not have what we saw. Maybe limiting the alcohol, but also there needs to be better security because some reports had the gates just letting anyone in, ticket or not.
  3. I am all for everyone having fun on their terms, but at a golf tournament I would expect a little more "policing" by the event to not have random boobs or fights happening in and around the grounds.
It will be curious how the tournament organizers move forward and like @Jman I agree I hope they don't neuter the event, but they have to do something because rain or not, what I saw from TV and social media made me think they lost control of the event.

Your opinion isn’t rational and goes against any reasonable expectation. You do realize that controlling a large amount of people has all sorts of mechanisms involved, right? Including local government authorities, crowd control, span of control, fire marshalls etc

Every PGA event has those very controlling mechanisms. These people the fans just took it to another level.

I think ticket issue on Saturday was both Friday ticket holders (delayed) and Saturday ticket holders were permitted on the course at the same time
From accounts I've read from people actually working the event, they quit even checking for tickets and just started letting everybody in because they were overrun at the gates. There were people with no tickets at all being allowed in, it was just a mob scene.

Finally settled in to catch up and a few thoughts.
  1. The PGAT & The Thunderbirds had to know something like this past weekend was inevitable based on how the event has grown. Not only in notoriety with the locals but nationally. People have been scheduling bachelor parties and bachelorette parties around this thing so you are inviting the chaos
  2. I think you can still have the "atmosphere" whether contained to 16 or not and still not have what we saw. Maybe limiting the alcohol, but also there needs to be better security because some reports had the gates just letting anyone in, ticket or not.
  3. I am all for everyone having fun on their terms, but at a golf tournament I would expect a little more "policing" by the event to not have random boobs or fights happening in and around the grounds.
It will be curious how the tournament organizers move forward and like @Jman I agree I hope they don't neuter the event, but they have to do something because rain or not, what I saw from TV and social media made me think they lost control of the event.
The statement I read from the Thunderbirds said they understand the problems and that there will be significant changes made for next year's event.

Last year also had PGA players taking their shirts off and gyrating on the green. The media, pga and fan celebrated that.

I believe the players were fined for that so I'm not certain that constitutes everyone celebrating it.

I think they should put more bleachers and less corporate suites around 16. Do your best to congregate all the fans that want to drink and be rowdy at 16 by having ample bleacher space available for them there. I think this will also solve the issue where they had issues moving people around the course because of the amount of people watching from cart paths.

Im fine with the flying cups on 16 with a hole in one. Especially now that they are plastic cups.

Also I think the player experience will be better knowing what 16 will be vs the rest of the course.

Just saw on Twitter that they are thinking of charging $550 per ticket to next year event?

How much is a current ticket? This seems very high and will have the desired affect. But then it can't be considered the People's Open.

Just saw on Twitter that they are thinking of charging $550 per ticket to next year event?

How much is a current ticket? This seems very high and will have the desired affect. But then it can't be considered the People's Open.
Just to get in or for VIP? Attendance will take an insanely big hit if that's GA pricing.

well it is super bowl weekend, taking a page right out of the NFL book. It will become a corporate event and not the wasted management...probably

deny tv land GIF by Lopez on TV Land

And I am sure they will sell them all out as well.

$550 is still cheaper than a lot of golf rounds that weekend.

Pedro Pascal Laugh GIF by Golden Globes

Back