Have the fans at the WM taken it too far?

Well yeah, unsurprised for sure. Although I think those that like the party atmosphere even struggled with this year.
But you personally, did you think it was okay?
I don’t think it was wrong. They literally set themselves up for this to happen. When you’re the ONE event known for people letting loose and the event being ok with it, then this is what happens.

Do you change some things, sure. But the Tour does NOTHING in moderation, so they’re going to go to the other extreme I’m sure, and that, to me, is wrong.

Because I have an opinion different than yours? Interesting.
Your opinion isn’t rational and goes against any reasonable expectation. You do realize that controlling a large amount of people has all sorts of mechanisms involved, right? Including local government authorities, crowd control, span of control, fire marshalls etc

I don’t think it was wrong. They literally set themselves up for this to happen. When you’re the ONE event known for people letting loose and the event being ok with it, then this is what happens.

Do you change some things, sure. But the Tour does NOTHING in moderation, so they’re going to go to the other extreme I’m sure, and that, to me, is wrong.
I think letting loose and damaging a golf course and an event by hailing cups down impacting play are two different things. Just my take though.
And when nothing happened from that, there was zero doubt what this year was going to become.

I have such an issue with it. There was a happy medium of letting loose and being the party for years before last year.

Your opinion isn’t rational and goes against any reasonable expectation. You do realize that controlling a large amount of people has all sorts of mechanisms involved, right? Including local government authorities, crowd control, span of control, fire marshalls etc
Honestly, how is it someone can tell someone else their opinion is irrational? That’s a bold move, though becoming more and more common.

I understand all the things, yet, I still have my own personal opinion, as you do yours, and the cool thing is, that’s ok!

I think letting loose and damaging a golf course and an event by hailing cups down impacting play are two different things. Just my take though.
And when nothing happened from that, there was zero doubt what this year was going to become.

I have such an issue with it. There was a happy medium of letting loose and being the party for years before last year.
And I respect that you have that issue, I just see it as this was always what was going to happen, and they knew it too.

It’s become more popular, while they didn’t limit entry until they had the oh **** moment this year. That’s on them, fix that, but the idea so many (not you or I) are putting out to neuter the entire thing is just wild to me.

Honestly, how is it someone can tell someone else their opinion is irrational? That’s a bold move, though becoming more and more common.

I understand all the things, yet, I still have my own personal opinion, as you do yours, and the cool thing is, that’s ok!
I don’t want to derail this thread but honestly if we were together in person and you said what you said to me (how we should ban all events with people), that’s what would have been bold and yes I would have retorted with saying you were being irrational.

You were being sarcastic and I responded accordingly.

And I respect that you have that issue, I just see it as this was always what was going to happen, and they knew it too.
Right, I agree that this was the end game. But to use a parallel, I can see that if you don't punish someone for breaking the law, things will get worse. But it doesnt mean I am going to agree with it.

Everybody knew this was the end game, me included, I just can't seem to figure out how golfers are okay with the showering of cups on the course during play and what transpired this year. I want to understand it, but actual golfers okay with that seems like such a stretch.

The local reporting here give a little more perspective on this event. It took on this life as the party open in Phil’s early days on tour. It Exploded with Tiger Abd the HIO. Has grown by leaps and bounds since then.

On constant has been the organizers crossing the walking back the. Pushing the line again. That approach has created an extremely successful Abd popular PGA tour stop out of a throwaway stop.

The weather this year caused the **** show to be compressed this more visible. The organizers realize their folly. Abd will take steps to limit it.

I’m not sure the pga tour actually want to neuter this event

Right, I agree that this was the end game. But to use a parallel, I can see that if you don't punish someone for breaking the law, things will get worse. But it doesnt mean I am going to agree with it.

Everybody knew this was the end game, me included, I just can't seem to figure out how golfers are okay with the showering of cups on the course during play and what transpired this year. I want to understand it, but actual golfers okay with that seems like such a stretch.
It’s just different strokes for different folks. It truly didn’t bother me, but it also doesn’t impact me at all.

I’m that way about a lot in this game, but it doesn’t mean I’m not ok with perspectives like yours.

The local reporting here give a little more perspective on this event. It took on this life as the party open in Phil’s early days on tour. It Exploded with Tiger Abd the HIO. Has grown by leaps and bounds since then.

On constant has been the organizers crossing the walking back the. Pushing the line again. That approach has created an extremely successful Abd popular PGA tour stop out of a throwaway stop.

The weather this year caused the **** show to be compressed this more visible. The organizers realize their folly. Abd will take steps to limit it.

I’m not sure the pga tour actually want to neuter this event
The weather absolutely exacerbated things.

The weather absolutely exacerbated things.
See and I think the weather is a scape goat.
Last year they literally rained down cups of beer and **** on the course.

We literally complain about people not fixing pitch marks and this is considered okay? I don't get it.

Are you thinking about 2022 hole-in-ones on hole 16 (Ryder and Ortiz)? That was the year they were throwing aluminum beer bottles and that was dangerous and indeed did cause some damage to the course. It is why they switched to the plastic cups in 2023 and I don't recall there being a hole-in-one since the switch?

I think that they will make some changes that some have mentioned and maybe some we haven't thought about. In my opinion:

1. They need to limit the tickets and know exactly how many they have on the course. That is the only way that they will know if they have enough security/bathrooms/food for the crowd. They never should have allowed people with Friday tickets into the venue on Saturday.
2. They need to create more stands and have less people on the ropes and move the ropes farther away from the players.
3. Remove or detain people that are out of control in the stands or other public areas like they do in other stadiums.

Were any changes implemented at 16, or overall, after last year? I don't recall any but really didn't pay attention to anything about it after the event. For whatever changes that might have been put in place, did the changes drive the extreme party crowd beyond the stands at 16?

Does the tournament put a limit on the number of GA tickets sold per day or is it unlimited?

This thread has been fun read so far.

Were any changes implemented at 16, or overall, after last year? I don't recall any but really didn't pay attention to anything about it after the event. For whatever changes that might have been put in place, did the changes drive the extreme party crowd beyond the stands at 16?

Does the tournament put a limit on the number of GA tickets sold per day or is it unlimited?

I think ticket issue on Saturday was both Friday ticket holders (delayed) and Saturday ticket holders were permitted on the course at the same time

They have never really limited it as far as I know. I think they will going forward.

Disclaimer: I went to this event in the early 2000's and won't go again unless it is in a suite. I don't go to NFL games for the same reason or out to New Year's Eve events. I cannot tolerate the behavior of the bad people that are there. My opinion is that there was nothing the fans did "over the line" this year and I think they were doing things they have always done. There were just more idiots this year and the rain had all of them bunched up. Plus people trying to go "viral" more than years past. When I went, we couldn't have phones on the course 😂

Are you thinking about 2022 hole-in-ones on hole 16 (Ryder and Ortiz)? That was the year they were throwing aluminum beer bottles and that was dangerous and indeed did cause some damage to the course. It is why they switched to the plastic cups in 2023 and I don't recall there being a hole-in-one since the switch?

I think that they will make some changes that some have mentioned and maybe some we haven't thought about. In my opinion:

1. They need to limit the tickets and know exactly how many they have on the course. That is the only way that they will know if they have enough security/bathrooms/food for the crowd. They never should have allowed people with Friday tickets into the venue on Saturday.
2. They need to create more stands and have less people on the ropes and move the ropes farther away from the players.
3. Remove or detain people that are out of control in the stands or other public areas like they do in other stadiums.
Things I read from this post:

if I stop drinking out of plastic cups, HOIs are in my future.

Thanks, that is all I need my guy.

I think ticket issue on Saturday was both Friday ticket holders (delayed) and Saturday ticket holders were permitted on the course at the same time
I understand that part. I was curious if there was/is a daily limit.

There is... They def. announced in the week leading up that Fri & Sat GA tix were sold out.

We literally complain about people not fixing pitch marks and this is considered okay? I don't get it.
Last year also had PGA players taking their shirts off and gyrating on the green. The media, pga and fan celebrated that.

I imagine there is a limit since Friday and Saturday sold out

I’m sure there will be going forward. Especially when rain makes large areas inaccessible for patrons to walk/sit.

Last year also had PGA players taking their shirts off and gyrating on the green.
Steve Carell Ew GIF by Focus Features

I didn’t say it was THE problem, I simply said it amplified things, there’s no scapegoating there, it’s the reality that when you add mud into a gigantic party, it’s going to amplify things, at least that’s been my experience growing up many many times 🤣

I also think it’s the least surprising thing ever that there are differing opinions on this. That’s human nature, but it’s sure fun to talk about it.

Last year also had PGA players taking their shirts off and gyrating on the green. The media, pga and fan celebrated that.
Id take that over what is taking place any day.
One doesnt slow down play or cause any damage to the course.

I would also say not all fans celebrated it, some certainly did.

Back