Heel vs Center Shafted Putter

Some years back I came to realize the center shafted putters worked for me...I never played them and hit one at a demo and that did it... everything just seemed to square up and I could very easily hit my line...I now have at least 15 of them from Bettinardis to SeeMores...

Most center shafted putters are face balanced meaning there is no bias of more weight in the toe or heel...If you like the idea of straight back and straight through then center shafted may work well...Some of the things to test is weight...I have found I happen to putt the best with a heavy putter it was a laborious task of adding weight little by little until I found the perfect weight...in fact the one currently is a Ping Lil B that was a 56..[If my memory serves me] inch putter I cut down to 32 it`s heavy....with this club I never think of stroke any longer just get my line and putt...Lie is another issue I experimented by bending little by little a more upright lie...until I got it to the perfect set up with my eyes directly over the ball and the grip close to my body...For me the heavy putter takes my hands out of the stroke and I am far more accurate with a much more pendulum like stroke...Jim

Some years back I came to realize the center shafted putters worked for me...I never played them and hit one at a demo and that did it... everything just seemed to square up and I could very easily hit my line...I now have at least 15 of them from Bettinardis to SeeMores...

Most center shafted putters are face balanced meaning there is no bias of more weight in the toe or heel...If you like the idea of straight back and straight through then center shafted may work well...Some of the things to test is weight...I have found I happen to putt the best with a heavy putter it was a laborious task of adding weight little by little until I found the perfect weight...in fact the one currently is a Ping Lil B that was a 56..[If my memory serves me] inch putter I cut down to 32 it`s heavy....with this club I never think of stroke any longer just get my line and putt...Lie is another issue I experimented by bending little by little a more upright lie...until I got it to the perfect set up with my eyes directly over the ball and the grip close to my body...For me the heavy putter takes my hands out of the stroke and I am far more accurate with a much more pendulum like stroke...Jim

Would love to see some pictures of this collection if you have any. Sounds awesome. I am a new convert to the center shaft putters and so far I'm really liking them. Seems like it allows for a more natural stroke

I have used a heel shafted putter since I first picked up the game as a kid. Was at the range today and borrowed a friends center shafted TaylorMade Spider Vicino and absolutely loved it.

So my question is, is there a huge difference between center shafted and heel shafted? Or is it like everything else with putting and purely mental?

Thoughts?

I think heel and CS putters are two different types of putting strokes. I also think that a CS putter is the easiest to line up a putt with

I have more consistency with the center shaft putters. They just feel "safer" to me.

I think heel and CS putters are two different types of putting strokes. I also think that a CS putter is the easiest to line up a putt with

This kind of sum's it up for me and may be a bit tough to explain, but after using a blade style putter for many many years playing the game I switched to a mid mallet. I have always liked the look and feel of mallet putters, especially for shorter putts, but lag putting was always a problem with them for me. The mid mallet seems like the perfect fix, for me. Using a blade putter puts me in a position of guessing the aim, where as with my SeeMore Si3 I know I'm on the line. It frames the ball and that line so well that with the proper stance and release I feel like I will make everything I aim at. Now if I could read the line better and always have the perfect feel for the distance I know I would make most everything I putted at, lol.

this thread has got me thinking i should try a CS Putter ive always used a heal and actually just changed to using a mallet putter which has helped my putting a lot. But i have been using the Iping app on my phone and every putter i use on there i am more of a straight putter than an arched usually a very slight arc. i am gonna have to try one out soon and see if it helps or not.

I now use a centershafted SeeMore and can attest to fittings for the putter. Before I always played a heel shafted but I had no idea the other mechanics involved in the putter's setup. It definitely comes down to your approach in setup and stroke as well. The SeeMore people fit me with excellent customer service over the phone and I've definitely improved my putting. With SeeMore its not just the putter but your approach that is changed as well and they are always there for you in that process and beyond. I'm sure other manufactures could provide that service, but at SeeMore all they do is putters so you can consider that they're investing in you just as much as you're investing in them.

I've switched back and forth, but I started with a CS way back when I started playing golf and always seem to go back to them. After trying quite a few I think a CS mallet gives me the best chance to make putts, but a CS mid mallet is where I'm more comfortable, but I just don't get as much forgiveness!

Would love to see some pictures of this collection if you have any. Sounds awesome. I am a new convert to the center shaft putters and so far I'm really liking them. Seems like it allows for a more natural stroke

My wife just this weekend dropped my camera...I`ll be getting a new one...Here`s a list
PING LIL B...no offfset
PING LIL B...1/2 shaft offest
BETTINARDI...BHB8-C
TITLEIST..BULLSEYE FLANGE
SEEMORE-FGP
2-TAYLORMADES,1-32 INCHES `-36
TITLEIST...FUTURA
2-GRUIN RIFE #2BLADE `-no offset `- fullshaft offset
SPALDING "CASH IN"
ODESSEY WHITE HOT...MODEL7
ODESSEY2 BALL

Ihave another 6/8 older ones that I can`t think of right now...Jim

Last edited:
Nice collection Jim...look forward to those pictures.

I've been using a center shafted putter for 3 weeks and have noticed significant improvement in my putting. Lining up the CS putter seems to be an easier task, and the stroke just feels much more fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though I've been toying heavily with flow-necks lately as I've been very hot with them, CS is still where my bread and butter is. Its given me a free stroke and come to define my collection as well, just something about standing over a CS utter OOZES confidence for me. I love them.

Though I've been toying heavily with flow-necks lately as I've been very hot with them, CS is still where my bread and butter is. Its given me a free stroke and come to define my collection as well, just something about standing over a CS utter OOZES confidence for me. I love them.

I agree, looking down at a CS putter alignment gives me confidence, like I said it just seems to line up much easier.

Nice collection Jim...look forward to those pictures.

I've been using a center shafted putter for 3 weeks and have noticed significant improvement in my putting. Lining up the CS putter seems to be an easier task, and the stroke just feels much more fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got used to the CS almost immediately... although I did go back and forth many times until I made the commitment to play CS...Everything just seemed to square up and worked with the straight back and straight through stroke I always wanted but had to change because the putters I had didn`t work for that stroke...If you give it some time it will all work out...I found length and weight adjustments were key for me also...This all happened when I got real serious about putting better...so I did some serious testing until I reached the final specs.....But I can say without any reservations the CSputter was the key...Jim

I used to be a heel shafted blade with 1/2 offset putter guy for the longest time until I rolled the SeeMore Si-1 which was my first experience with a CS putter. It's still in my bag and I don't plan on switching any time soon. It's dramatically helped with lag putting and aside from the awful putting day,, I almost never leave shorter putts short any more

Back