How do You view a Demo Day?

Playdough

Hi.
Reaction score
Handicap
I know that for many Demo Day season is coming up and I want to ask a question.

How do You view a Demo Day?

Do you see it as a chance to hit the latest and test drive it and really get a feel for it? As a way to get a basic fitting by the club rep? Do you view it as chance to just hit some free range balls with new equipment?

I personally see it as a chance to hit the latest and educate myself on the product with actual hands on testing. It lets me learn about the turf interaction, how it feels, how it performs. Its a way for me gain some knowledge with the company rep, maybe ask some questions that I don't think of sitting on the forum. I really feel like that demo days are under utilized by people who are in the market for clubs. Do you have to maybe listen to some sales pitches, sure. But what I have found is that your up front with them and tell them that you are interested in their line, but not buying that day and want to compare them to the other lines you are interested in they will spend some time with you and educate you.

I like to use it as an opportunity to see if there is something out there that can beat what's in my bag. And hitting free range balls.

I love robust demo days... Not a huge fan of focusing on a new driver or something of that nature because their stock shafts are generally geared towards a different audience, but if there's a variety of wedges/irons with shaft options I could spend hours getting accustomed to their nuances. It excites me that we're on the cusp of another golf season.

I've only been to a few. I sort of hate the guys standing there watching. Performance anxiety and all that good stuff :\

The ones I went to were soley to be able to hit everything that I was interested in outdoors and hopefully in some different configurations. At my old club you could either browse and just hit some balls or you could schedule time for a fitting with the rep.

I view it as a chance to hit the new line of clubs outdoors. At a retail store you are stuck inside at a hitting bay.

my local golfsmith and golf galaxy do not have much in demo for bridgestone... need to double check pga store again. seems hard to locate a good variety of bridgestone equipment in my area so ill need to definitely keep a lookout for demo days!

We had a few recently with Callaway and Nike. I like to test drive every club and see how it performs versus my current set. If something sticks out, then I'll visit my local golf shop and get on the sim. It's tough for me to buy on the spot as I like to see stats to support my purchase / upgrade.

First of all I take it as a chance the hit all the newest stuff that may be present. I mean lets face it, whether it works for us or not hitting new stuff is always fun. If I plan on making a purchase then I also use my time with the rep to get a basic fitting which is unfortunately about the closest thing I can get to a fitting here.

Keeghan, I've seen you in action at two Ultimate Outings and Demo Days, and, you're at a different level than most of us when it comes to Demo Days. LOL. In my case, I generally attend demo days because I'm curious to see the major manufacturers' newest offerings and compare them to my gear. At my club, we have Callaway and TaylorMade in every Spring together, and that enables us to compare head to head. I've found that the reps, because both are there, are very eager to educate you on their products and even fit you if that's your desire. As for other demos, if I'm really interested in a particular new iron, say, I might drive 50 to 100 miles to be able to hit it. Such was the case with the Callaway Apex irons when they first were available to hit at a Launch Day at the PGA SS about an hour from me.

Great question Keegs, my first thought is I want to get a chance to hit their products, hopefully on an outdoor grass range! Second, I like to talk with the reps and learn as much as I can about the products. Third, and doesn't always happen depending on the reps, but they can usually fit you into which products and specs would fit you the best. You can't always get all of these in the same spot, and a demo day really helps you accomplish that.

I like hitting the new equipment outdoors, that I can ask the reps there any questions I have and can usually hit some different shaft combinations. I typically find it most useful for irons, hybrids and FW's.

I love a good demo day.
I struggle with the education side of it, because most that are hosting them are not armed with the proper information. They are more knowledgeable than a store sales rep and a few are decent, but most that we have encountered are missing some key points.

I see it as a chance to try out the latest and greatest and to see ball flight outdoors. I am typically not going to buy on the spot and am up front with the fitter. That being said, I have bought stuff as a direct result of going to a demo day, liking what I hit, and buying shortly thereafter once I had a chance to think about it.

I've never been to a demo day so have no idea how I feel about but I do know I'd like the chance to hit the newest equipment without a pushy salesperson following me around.

I view a demo day as first and foremost a way to familiarize myself with a company or multiple companies' new lines. I know all of us THP'ers love the new shiny, and a demo day is the best way to hit as much new shiny as possible in a short period of time, and get to hit it outside (unless it's an indoor store demo day). Secondly if I am shopping for something, then I go in to get some solid time with the stuff I'm looking at, preferably outside and with an idea of the turf interaction. I'll also try to get at least a basic fitting so that I know what specs I'd be after if I ended up going for a new club. I'm always up front that I'm not going to order on the spot, but I often tell them that if I like it it could eventually lead to a purchase. My current set of irons was purchased after two demo days worth of hitting them and loving them.

I like being able to hit a lot of diffrent OEMs in one spot on the same day with roughly the same swing pus you can talk with the reps about the product

We had a few recently with Callaway and Nike. I like to test drive every club and see how it performs versus my current set. If something sticks out, then I'll visit my local golf shop and get on the sim. It's tough for me to buy on the spot as I like to see stats to support my purchase / upgrade.

This is me as well.

If it's a multi-company demo day, it's a way for me to easily compare one company's equipment vs. another. It's also a way for me to see how a club sets up behind the ball, which is a big deal for me. Unless it's quiet at a particular station, it's not a great time to get fit for a club. It is cool when a rep takes an interest in how I'm doing with a club and offers his opinion on what might work for me, instead of just handing me a club and letting me take a few swings like he doesn't care at all. In particular, a Cobra rep did that last year with the Amp Cell drivers, I was really impressed by that.

Back