How Good is Ohtani?

Ohtani is the best player we will ever see in our lifetimes. If he was valued equally for both offense and defense, he would shatter the biggest contract in the sport by a wide margin. It’s incredible to watch him play.

Ohtani is the best player we will ever see in our lifetimes. If he was valued equally for both offense and defense, he would shatter the biggest contract in the sport by a wide margin. It’s incredible to watch him play.
The bad thing is I don’t think if I have ever seen him live on TV or in person. Just highlights.

If you have someone that is this freaking good, you should have him on national broadcasts every time he pitches or at least on a weekly basis in prime time.

And he has been taken off the trade table. Reportedly. Getting nothing in return for the best player in generations is going to be hard to see.
I’m not sure the talent exists in prospects to make it work for another team that is willing to pony up to sign him long term. These small market teams are loaded with prospects, but can’t afford him, and the big market teams who can, traded so many prospects away.

The bad thing is I don’t think if I have ever seen him live on TV or in person. Just highlights.

If you have someone that is this freaking good, you should have him on national broadcasts every time he pitches or at least on a weekly basis in prime time.

Same here. Of course, I haven’t gone out of my way to try to watch him either. And admittedly, it’s a shame because his skillset combination is so rare, it’s beyond generational. What an amazing athlete!

I’m not sure the talent exists in prospects to make it work for another team that is willing to pony up to sign him long term. These small market teams are loaded with prospects, but can’t afford him, and the big market teams who can, traded so many prospects away.

I definitely think a team COULD have done it - but why would they? For example, the Dodgers have a consensus top 3 farm system, but why send some of your top guys away for a few months when you know you can sign him for no prospect spend at the end of the year?

Last year would have been the year to do it for the Angels.

I definitely think a team COULD have done it - but why would they? For example, the Dodgers have a consensus top 3 farm system, but why send some of your top guys away for a few months when you know you can sign him for no prospect spend at the end of the year?

Are teams able to work out extensions prior to getting the trade done in the MLB? That’s the only way a team would empty out their system.

Yes that is possible
Oh interesting. They were saying earlier on TV that it would be against CBA, but I have no idea

Oh interesting. They were saying earlier on TV that it would be against CBA, but I have no idea

I may have it wrong - The CBA is impossible to follow, but I was under the understanding that it was possible.

1. Ohtani is impossibly good. He’s a unicorn. And considering the competition level, he’s the most talented player — ever
2. It’s borderline criminal how the Angels are misplaying their window with Ohtani and Trout.

I may have it wrong - The CBA is impossible to follow, but I was under the understanding that it was possible.
You are probably right

1. Ohtani is impossibly good. He’s a unicorn. And considering the competition level, he’s the most talented player — ever
2. It’s borderline criminal how the Angels are misplaying their window with Ohtani and Trout.
There was a funny but dirty/not appropriate for THP instagram reel of how good he is and how much better he is than Babe.

The slider wasn’t invented until after he retired and he never had to play against any Dominican ball players. Were 2 of his talking points.

There was a funny but dirty/not appropriate for THP instagram reel of how good he is and how much better he is than Babe.

The slider wasn’t invented until after he retired and he never had to play against any Dominican ball players. Were 2 of his talking points.
Ohtani could win MVP just for what he’s doing as a position player and Cy Young just for what he’s doing as a pitcher (obviously he likely has MVP wrapped up when they’re combined).

PLUS he has tremendous sprint speed. The dude is also crazy fast. There’s just never been anyone like him.

Not sure if it changed with the recent CBA but when the Mets traded for Johan Santana years ago they were given a 72 hour window to negotiate a new contract. It was during the offseason so also not sure if that made a difference as well

Not sure if it changed with the recent CBA but when the Mets traded for Johan Santana years ago they were given a 72 hour window to negotiate a new contract. It was during the offseason so also not sure if that made a difference as well
I don’t know either or if team permission changes that. I reached out to an agent friend of mine to ask, because of i’m curious

Artie Moreno is so rich that letting the best player available go is an ego smash. Sorry Angels fans, just another ball buster. He will hang on knowing he will make a few more million $. He could get a haul right now if he was a baseball mind. It's clear that he and trout cannot even deliver playoffs. Moreno is trash. It sucks for Angels fans. Pretty close to the A's debacle. Well maybe not that bad, but close!!!

Last edited:

Exactly. The prospect haul would be much different if he were traded while still having a year on his contract as opposed to being a free agent at the end of the season. Plus there’s no guarantee that he will sign with the team traded to.

I like Ohtani and think he’s a generational player. But a lot of guy have put up huge numbers in small chunks of their careers. It’ll take another 5 or 6 years of this type of output for me to make comparisons to Babe Ruth.
It’s a shame the Angels won’t spend the money to put some guys around him that can make a deep run in October.

Not with the Angels

I understand that, but Trout has spent his entire career with one team - Albert spent the prime of his career with another team, where he got 2 rings. I just don't think it is an accurate comparison is all.

I understand that, but Trout has spent his entire career with one team - Albert spent the prime of his career with another team, where he got 2 rings. I just don't think it is an accurate comparison is all.
Not that I care what you think but read the post echico made. He said trout and ohtani are wasted on the angels. I said add Pujols to that list. Not difficult to understand.

Not that I care what you think but read the post echico made. He said trout and ohtani are wasted on the angels. I said add Pujols to that list. Not difficult to understand.
Pujols was a liability as opposed to an asset for half his tenure with the angels

Back