How Good is Ohtani?

If he hit and pitch the same baseball used when Babe Ruth played, in stadium parks with walls same distance dimensions then maybe I buy in.
Ohtani is the modern day phenom, fun to watch and well above average in actual results.
Now if he can just stay healthy and continue this year when he gets his money, he can say, if asked about President's salary in comparison, "I had a better year"!

The roll continues.
36 HR now

He is insanely good, a must watch.

when COVID hit I started collecting baseball cards out of boredom.

One of those was an Ohtani rookie card I bought for $5.99. It’s now worth about $400 ungraded and up to as much as $1300 if it grades as a 10.

Safe to say I’m enjoying the Ohtani ride :cool:

If he hit and pitch the same baseball used when Babe Ruth played, in stadium parks with walls same distance dimensions then maybe I buy in.

yes, there were some great players in baseball's historic era. but there were also rosters full of semi-pro ballplayers that the stars absolutely feasted on, both hitting and pitching. that's not a dig on the greats, you play who's in front of you. but the overall quality of player is much higher today from top-to-bottom in MLB, with way fewer "easy outs." Ohtani doing this today is absolutely a singular performance.

10 year contracts are almost always a bad idea for the teams, but they just can't help themselves. now, it's another thing entirely to be paying someone $60M/year for 4-5 years of dead time when he's no longer productive. do the owners restrain themselves and give him higher dollars for a shorter term? they should, but i suppose they won't...

I have seen him play in Anaheim many times. I am probably underselling him when I say he is very very good. It seems like everytime I see him he does something amazing.

As a life long Angels fine, he’s incredible. The absolute best. However, the Angels need to trade him. Breaks my heart but it’s the only way we build a championship team.

It bums me out that they aren't/won't? retain him.

I'll be even more disappointed when he goes to a super (read: mega bank) team.
It’s why MLB continues to be so flawed.

I assume it'll never change, but eff.
And the argument is always “look at the league this year and see small market teams competing”. And it’s true. But it’s an endless cycle and it just makes no sense. Have a floor, have a ceiling and the actual sport is the deciding factor

While Ohtani is insanely good this is one of those times where comparisons across eras is really hard; Ruth hit more HRs than entire teams.

While Ohtani is insanely good this is one of those times where comparisons across eras is really hard; Ruth hit more HRs than entire teams.
Of course. With that said playing both ways was more common than it is now.

The Angels absolutely can’t trade him if they want any chance to keep him. They are better off trading Trout and getting real value. Because anything they get for OhRentani is barely worth more than the compensation pick. Nothing they get will give them a leg up on a rebuild. They have the money to give $600 million. He’s worth two roster spots at that cost. It’s only 300 and 300 looking at it that way. Worth the risk.

Last edited:
The Angels owner won't trade him this year, and won't even trade him next year. Because he's an idiot. This is why the Angels suck in spite of having both Trout and Ohtani.
Well he can't trade him next year as he's free agent after this year....

The Angels absolutely can’t trade him if they want any chance to keep him. They are better off trading Trout and getting real value. Because anything they get for OhRentani is barely worth more than the compensation pick. Nothing they get will give them a leg up on a rebuild. They have the money to give $600 million. He’s worth two roster spots at that cost. It’s only 300 and 300 looking at it that way. Worth the risk.
There’s no way they can keep him. It’s about the winning, not money. They had a lot of years to get it done and they haven’t so the odds are very high he’s leaving. They’ll definitely get more in trade than the value of a single compensatory pick

There’s no way they can keep him. It’s about the winning, not money. They had a lot of years to get it done and they haven’t so the odds are very high he’s leaving. They’ll definitely get more in trade than the value of a single compensatory pick
If there is zero chance, then yes you are 100 % correct. BUT, if there is any chance he’d stay he can’t try on another jersey. The whole “spend” your entire career in one uniform might push his odds to stay.
Not sure if he’s someone who would be that taken by loyalty or not.

Of course. With that said playing both ways was more common than it is now.

...because so many of the "professional" players of that day just weren't very good. plus that whole pre-integration issue. so the great athletes got/had to do more.

Ohtani's trade value as a "rental" to finish out this season would be much higher if it was to a team he was going to sign a long-term deal with...but that'd be tampering. :rolleyes:

And he has been taken off the trade table. Reportedly. Getting nothing in return for the best player in generations is going to be hard to see.

And he has been taken off the trade table. Reportedly. Getting nothing in return for the best player in generations is going to be hard to see.
They said they are going for it. He went out and pitched a 1 hit complete game shut out and hit 2 bombs. They also traded for Lucas Giolito.

It’s wild that he was injury ridden for awhile and then they decided to push his limits instead of holding him back and he excelled…..

Complete game shut out in game 1 of DH, 2 HR in game 2. Hopefully the Angels can make a run so they have a chance to keep him long term.

They said they are going for it. He went out and pitched a 1 hit complete game shut out and hit 2 bombs. They also traded for Lucas Giolito.

i know he is amazing and glad they are trying. I would rather a team tried than give up. The Minnesota sports fan in me is coming out with the previous take.

Giolito.
Yeah, that'll put them over the top.

He and Trout will continue to waste away on the Angels.

Back