How many balls do you hit during a range session?

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish
To build on my post above, if I am warming up before a round, 30-40 max. Probably more like 20 or 30, then I'm ready to go. I use this time to lock onto my one swing thought for the day.

Chunkylover77

Proud JakeNation Member
Reaction score
Handicap
Way too much. Generally around 200-300

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish

Damaikis

Fairway Finder
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
I usually hit no more than 40. I try to take my time and really focus. Then I practice in the short game area for a long time.

tequila4kapp

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
At my home course a large bucket is two tokens which total @100 balls. 19 out of 20 times I get two tokens, use one of them to hit 50 balls and save the other token for the next time. I can probably productively hit another 20 or 30 but I reach the point of diminishing returns most times I hit 100.

tahoebum

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Typically 100-150. Mostly LW through 6 iron with maybe 15-20 3 wood/2 irons total. Often never hit driver on the range. Back in college I averaged 2000 balls per week during peak golf season. I would warm up with 100 SW shots of different lengths and 75 bunker shots. As they say, youth is wasted on the young!!

Oregon Jack

Let's real 'er back in.
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish?
between 80 and 100..
50 or 60 with 7i, 15 or so with driver, one or two with each wood, one or two with every other iron, the rest with wedges to 40/50/60/70 yrd targets

XpeetypX

Reaction score
Handicap
It Hurts!
Normally a large bucket off 100. Half irons,woods, amd driver. The rest wedges.

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
20-30 usually
To build on my post above, if I am warming up before a round, 30-40 max. Probably more like 20 or 30, then I'm ready to go. I use this time to lock onto my one swing thought for the day.
I guess I should build on mine too. 20-30 if I am working on something, and usually 8-10 if I am warming up.

hole_in_one

Reaction score
Handicap
CONGU 14.1
I hit around 50-100 depending on what I am focusing on. I normally just hit a wood, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron and lob wedge.

VA. Vince

SC bound...
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: 15.1
Before a round, 30-40. Just range time 150-250, the 250 will be short game time as well.

Theboyreilly

Reaction score
Handicap
My trouble with hitting range ball is I get bored of it really quick!! I hit the first 30 or so and then I seem to lose interest as it becomes repetitive and my concentration goes.

In comparison,I can go out onto the course when it's quiet and practise for hours without losing 1% of interest,the only trouble being that I live a hour from my home club!!!

Lefty_JW

Reaction score
The Emerald Isle, also known as a damp and wet pla
Handicap
Before a round 20-30. Practice at the range 120-160. I actually enjoy the range.

dhjkelly

BOO
Reaction score
Handicap
My local range does €5 for 60 balls, this suits me perfect as I tend to get bored if I get anymore. If i'm not looking to work on anything in particular i hit 4/5 balls with each club. If i want to work on something in particular i'll hit 10 balls with that club then move away to something like a wedge for 10 balls before going back to my problem club for another 10 balls. In this session i try to break things down with my swing

DawgDaddy

Old Coot
Reaction score
Handicap
L.O.F.T.
I ususally will hit a medium bucket of balls 60/70 and it will take about an hour and a half to do it. At least 25 of those shots are 100 yards and in. Usually only about 5 driver shots. Here lately it looks like I need to spend more time with the driver.

Idrops

Reaction score
A medium bucket is just right for me. It's not necessarily the quantity, rather the quality of shots made. I usually divide a medium bucket between three clubs one of which is always a wedge. The other two might be an iron plus a hybrid, fairway wood or driver.

brepublican

Reaction score
Handicap
90. If I'm working on a particular shot, I can do most of those on one club. Or I can hit 5-6 clubs max.

Ideally, I'd like to hit about 30 to warm up before a round... but that usually never happens

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

Smallerville

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.5
One large basket which depending on the course is somewhere between 70-80 balls. If I did not get so darn bored hitting range balls I would probably hit more.

thepete

Reaction score
Handicap
+3
Rarely more than 60-90 in a swing session. I spend most of my time analyzing and swinging without a ball.

Tadashi70

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
For me it all depends on what I am working on. I've hit as few at 20 balls in an hour and as many as 150. A bucket of twenty is me more working on positions so I'm checking almost every position the club should be in before each swing.
The larger bucket is when I really want to just get in a food workout and beat some balls. At least 10 with each club in the bag.

WMac19

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
84, supposedly the amount in a medium bucket at my range.

I'd say about 50 if them are various full wedge shots, pitches and a few chips. I usually only take a few swings with driver unless I'm comparing clubs or testing a new shaft.

Once I feel even a hint of fatigue, I either shut it down or hit short wedge shots. Don't want any fatigue-induced bad habits creeping into the muscle memory banks. :)

Tmex

Paul Casey, WINNER!
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 14.2
30 balls.
I'm about with your JRod. I guess I'd say more if you count all the wedge shots after the small bucket. I've learned this, if I have less balls I typically concentrate more on the technique I'm doing because I don't have shots to "waste" so to speak.

TC gave me some great points one time about the range. Treat it like a round of golf. Focus more on the smaller bucket rather than hammering a large one. I also take some old used balls that match my current ones to do my pitching and chipping practice. I'm starting to get a feel for my short game again.

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm about with your JRod. I guess I'd say more if you count all the wedge shots after the small bucket. I've learned this, if I have less balls I typically concentrate more on the technique I'm doing because I don't have shots to "waste" so to speak.

TC gave me some great points one time about the range. Treat it like a round of golf. Focus more on the smaller bucket rather than hammering a large one. I also take some old used balls that match my current ones to do my pitching and chipping practice. I'm starting to get a feel for my short game again.

Boom! I always work on the short game with balls I put into play.

Tmex

Paul Casey, WINNER!
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 14.2
Boom! I always work on the short game with balls I put into play.
Its underrated I think by some man! I'm never surprised by what my ball does when I go from the range to the course. Glad I had those old B330's lying around!

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in