How many prefer walking over riding?

Walking is what I do. The only places I ride are the places that include a cart so about 5 or 6 rounds a year. Walking and pushing a cart is easy and cheap and healthy, and I'd rather spend my money on more golf than on a cart rental.

I always walk. It allows me to shake up bad shots and start concentrating on the next shot ahead of me. The only time I ride is when I'm trying to get a quick round in or when I'm playing on the weekend with my buddies who refuse to walk.

I agree that it does take away from the experience, particularly if at a course with a lot of natural areas or walks between holes. I only voluntarily cart at one course, and that's because it's extremely hilly, and I only cart there if the cart is included in the deal I get. I played it Saturday, and my calves are still burning from the constant up and down hills. I can only think of 3 holes on the course with little (<30ft) elevation changes. And many of the green to tee walks involve more hills than just the elevation change between the two. Whether very hot/humid or rainy, if I am willing to play, I want to play walking.

Walking is just enjoyable. I also like to watch the guys in the carts grab three or four clubs and the laser and walk across the fairway to the far side of the ruff trying to guess what club they need when it's cart path only.

I've never ever been in a golf cart.
I have played more than 75% of all of my rounds with a caddy though.
I have the same caddy I use every time I play and he's been my caddy for about 3 years now.
I like to think of us as a team since he knows my game just as well as I do.

I've always walked, I worked as a course marshall when I was in high school and got to use a cart to play a round in before work. As quick as it is to use one, I feel out of touch with the course if that makes sense? I found it difficult to gauge distances etc. Walking is great exercise and means I haev more time to shake off bad shots and take in the whole picture.

I walk always when I play here, and usually ride cart on trips. (I've never been to a course in US where players are allowed to walk...)

so many walkers here and i wonder how many you walkers carry also or is it with a push/pull cart. while i do most always walk but its with a hand cart.

so many walkers here and i wonder how many you walkers carry also or is it with a push/pull cart. while i do most always walk but its with a hand cart.

I walk whenever the course allows. I have a lightweight carry bag that makes it easy.

I've never played where you have to ride. I wonder why they would force people to ride? what is the logic behind that?

I've never played where you have to ride. I wonder why they would force people to ride? what is the logic behind that?

Lots of places here require it. They do it because the holes are so spaced out, increases revenue, and theoretically helps pace of play since everyone should be playing at the same pace.

There are TONS of courses where walking is not feasible. The distance between green and next tee box would force rounds that are far too long.

There are TONS of courses where walking is not feasible. The distance between green and next tee box would force rounds that are far too long.

Ive seen this first hand down in FL, a few holes you are in the cart for quite some time, walking just isnt feasible in those situations

Ive seen this first hand down in FL, a few holes you are in the cart for quite some time, walking just isnt feasible in those situations

Could you imagine trying to walk Waterlefe? There is a quarter mile drive on two occasions to the next tee box.

I love to walk. I find I make less mental mistakes when I do.

Could you imagine trying to walk Waterlefe? There is a quarter mile drive on two occasions to the next tee box.

Of all the courses I played down there, that was the one I had in mind. Maybe Beags can try it for the Puma Shoe testing to break them in.

Lots of places here require it. They do it because the holes are so spaced out, increases revenue, and theoretically helps pace of play since everyone should be playing at the same pace.

^^What he said. Plus, a lot of the semi-private courses in my area restrict "walking privileges" to members.

I tend to play better when I walk but I don't mind riding.

Yea Ok, didnt think of that and i did play on a course in maryland once that was long distances between holes. We had a cart but man that would have been terrible to walk.

^^What he said. Plus, a lot of the semi-private courses in my area restrict "walking privileges" to members.

i can understand the distance thing but why walking privileges to members only. And whos to say that walking is actualy a privilege? as long as its not due to the long distances betwen holes then I dont see the other reasons.

Different foursomes walking and riding and even mixed within the same foursome i've never seen that cause a pace issue. Been in walking foursome between riding ones and always kept pace and all kinds of mixed situations and dont think that ever was the cause of any pace issue from what i've ever wtrnessed.

I don't care to walk these days, but may be doing it a lot more often to save on costs. Courses around here are extremely flat and easy to walk.

I prefer to walk and generally do 75 percent of the time.

I don't have any problems walking, but I prefer to ride. To me it makes the round more enjoyable when you can relax and enjoy the day and the company of friends. Especially in the summer when it's 90º and humid. It takes nothing away from the game for me and I'm already in touch with the course so I'd rather take it easy than have to put in extra work on a day off.

It's probably been over 15 years since I have walked while playing golf. Not because I'm lazy as I enjoy working out at the gym. Everybody I've played with over the last several years use golf carts. We do have a guy at our club that is 70 + years old who walks every round. He is not in our regular group but I see him now and then trudging up the fairways. He keeps up with the guys he plays with and sometimes you even see him waiting on the greens for them. :thumb: Even in the hot summer months and totes his bag too!

Used to walk often. Have just enough dings now...bulging discs, knees, etc...that I can't any longer. The downside of an active life and a few too many years.

Fortunately, even when you ride you still walk a lot.

Can't wait for golf bag toting Segways ?

Back