How Seriously Do You Take Your Iron Shaft Selection?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
When picking up a new set of heads or irons, how much time do you invest in making sure you're picking the right set of iron shafts to pair? Do you have a collection of shafts that 'are suitable' and just roll with it? Do you have a set of go-to shafts that you can't seem to shake?

I'm not guilty at all here hahaha

I just stick DG S300’s in any irons, maybe that’s not the right thing to do 🤔.

Per our good friend @JB everyone overthinks shafts....thats what we do

Honestly I don't know enough about shafts to make that decision on my own. When I bought new irons last year the fitter went through several different shafts and we narrowed it down to Modus 105s and 120s. I liked the feeling of the weight in the club better with the 120 and while I lost 6-8 yards of distance on a 7i the dispersion was much tighter with the 120 so that's what I went with. Shafts are something I really need to learn more about to be able to consider myself a true internet golfer.

Not seriously enough. I said it in another thread but I think this is the year I go full 'internet golfer' and optimize/personalize everything. Shafts, grips, balls, head covers, bag, the full package.

What have you people done to me?!?! :ROFLMAO:

Turns out I'm not that picky. I'm very happy with my current shafts.

As long as they don't snap like my old 6i did I'm happy with them.

I used to not really think too much about it, get stiff flex steel. But after playing the Elevate 95's, I really want to play them in any other set I get. They feel and perform great, but since I haven't been fit for irons, they might not be the best option. Honestly though, don't know what else I'd want out of an iron shaft.

Not seriously enough. I said it in another thread but I think this is the year I go full 'internet golfer' and optimize/personalize everything. Shafts, grips, balls, head covers, bag, the full package.

Welcome to THP :LOL:

Home of the Fringe Lunatic golfers

If you're going full internet golfer it doesn't matter, you're already driving it laser straight 330 yards and making every putt within 20 feet. Don't let something small like shafts get in your way of going full internet pro!

I think about it enough that I’m willing to pay the fitting fee at CC when the time comes. I like to have a lot of options available. If I wasn’t considering graphite though I probably would just go to any other fitter

I just got fit into different iron shafts, in a very different weight/launch class to what I was previously in. I do agree that you're probably overthinking shafts if you're splitting hairs between stuff in a similar launch/weight/stiffness class, but if you don't get in the right ballpark you could have problems.

I just switched into Modus3 Tour 130 from Steelfiber i95. It's a big change, but if it sticks and continues to work out, it means I can probably put anything similar in there and get decent results - DG S300, Project X 6.0, C-Taper...

This feels like a red pill - blue pill moment.

I have found a few that work for me, mostly based on the weight that I prefer. So those are my go-to's, and I'm always looking for new ones in that weight range to try.

I look more for the elements of the shaft, primarily heavier graphite. I tend to spray the ball a bit when the shafts get too light (unsurprisingly) so that's one of the first things I look for. I'm not going in with a specific brand or line in mind.

Per our good friend @JB everyone overthinks shafts....thats what we do

I think there is a line in the sand of overthinking and under thinking actually. It is of my belief (through testing) that the shaft is extremely important, but that getting a change of multiple degrees of launch, thousands of RPM of spin, etc etc etc is more applicable through other elements.

i care quite a bit. i seem to be pretty sensitive to these changes. once i find something i like, i tend to stick with it. and it's funny how i'll do a fitting, try a bunch of options, and land on the same shaft i've been fitted into in the past.

for my driver i have a shaft that works great for me thanks to the handcrafted experience. my fear is i've been told the tip section is getting a bit brittle because i've had the adapter swapped so many times lol

Been in KBS, PX, and now Nippon. I try stuff out and go by feel.

Seriously though I have always looked at weight in irons, I was hovering around the 110 range with good success. Then last year blew my mind. I gamed 125g shafts which felt super heavy to just about everyone that picked them up including me and had one of my best ball striking years ever.

i care quite a bit. i seem to be pretty sensitive to these changes. once i find something i like, i tend to stick with it. and it's funny how i'll do a fitting, try a bunch of options, and land on the same shaft i've been fitted into in the past.

for my driver i have a shaft that works great for me thanks to the handcrafted experience. my fear is i've been told the tip section is getting a bit brittle because i've had the adapter swapped so many times lol
Like a warm cozy blanket haha

I rarely use shafts from set to set. Through fitting and personal on course trial and error, I have landed on Recoils for my irons and wedges. Any set that goes in the bag will have Recoils and I will not second guess it because I know how they perform, and more importantly the comfort level with them is the best of anything I have previously played.

I generally have a weight I am trying to hit first and then check the profile descriptions if there are multiple choices with the weight I am looking for.

I rarely put too much thought into the iron shafts. But I do like True Temper Tour Issue AMT Whites.

I didn't pay attention for the longest time, so it was a bit of a shock when Danny put me in the heaviest, stiffest shaft UST had. I had been gaming 85g stiff shafts before that, and while may play hasn't improved much I love the feel of the heavier shaft. Prior to that event I used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer to get a feel for the profile, and saved the results, so there are now multiple shafts I feel confident would be a good fit in my irons. They're all X-stiff in 130g so I feel like I have a baseline of what to look for.

Back