How to Install a Shaft Adapter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
By request, here is a THP TV spot on the installation

That was fast. Thank you kindly.

Great vid! This will definitely help some folks I know!

Good timely review, I'll be doing this to a few shafts this weekend. That seemed like a lot of epoxy to put in there, I'm surprised it didn't ooze out. I've never used glass shafting beads. Was the adaptor not a tight fit?

Thank you for the video. I have always been temped to buy some equipment to play around with in the garage.

I need to look into an inexpensive shaft puller. I've pulled a couple of graphite shafts without one, but was really worried about damaging the shaft from too much heat, or having to twist it some.

• Admin
Good timely review, I'll be doing this to a few shafts this weekend. That seemed like a lot of epoxy to put in there, I'm surprised it didn't ooze out. I've never used glass shafting beads. Was the adaptor not a tight fit?

Beads to me are really about centering more than creating a fit.

Nice simple instructions, perfect for my simple mind. One question for @Canadan or @JB , do you have to clean out the old epoxy from the adapter and if you do, how?

• Admin
Nice simple instructions, perfect for my simple mind. One question for @Canadan or @JB , do you have to clean out the old epoxy from the adapter and if you do, how?

Yes you do.
As someone that doesn't reuse a lot of adapters, I will let @Canadan share his thoughts as it is his video, but in my experience when I have, i use a drill.

Not my rodeo, but I use a drill with a wire brush bit to clean out the adapter, flowed by a qtip with acetone. It does an amply more thorough job than when I just use a bit, golf works has 335 and 355/370.

Not my rodeo, but I use a drill with a wire brush bit to clean out the adapter, flowed by a qtip with acetone. It does an amply more thorough job than when I just use a bit, golf works has 335 and 355/370.
How do you hold the adapter when doing this? I tried it holding in my hand and the wire brush got stuck once, had to get some pliers to hold it still and back off the drill

I do the same. I use those little wire brushes and wire drill bits you can get from Golfworks.

How do you hold the adapter when doing this? I tried it holding in my hand and the wire brush got stuck once, had to get some pliers to hold it still and back off the drill
Put it in the head and screw it in, easy peasy.

If no head, just use a vice or pliers, it won’t hurt the adapter.

Put it in the head and screw it in, easy peasy.

If no head, just use a vice or pliers, it won’t hurt the adapter.
I never thought to put it in the head makes perfect sense thanks!

Do turning ferrules next plz.

Very well explained! For tricky ferrules, I will soak it in some hot water then take it out just prior to trying to fit it one the shaft.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ very simple process. You're just trying to get the old epoxy out. It's already been roughed up from the first installation, so there is no reason to use the drill more than a few short bursts. (y)

Do turning ferrules next plz.
Turning ferrules requires the right tools to do so. Like a belt sander that is very fine that doesn't rough up the ferrule but still shaves it down while you're rotating the shaft.
But for those of us that don't have those expensive toys and have to make do with just using a very fine grit piece of sandpaper. If it scuffs up the ferrule, then take a bit of acetone or mineral spirits to it ... you won't even notice it. (y)
Remember ferrules are only cosmetic. You don't even notice that they are there unless you are inspecting the clubhead closely.

How do you remove the adapter from the shaft? Do you put a screw of some sort in it or just remove it like you would remove a head from a shaft? I have a shaft puller but haven't pulled an adapter yet.

How do you remove the adapter from the shaft? Do you put a screw of some sort in it or just remove it like you would remove a head from a shaft? I have a shaft puller but haven't pulled an adapter yet.
My shaft puller has an opening for different shaft sizes, so I just set it onto the .335 one and hit it with the heat. Same as anything else.

My shaft puller has an opening for different shaft sizes, so I just set it onto the .335 one and hit it with the heat. Same as anything else.
They also make a kit that’s quite useful, different sized screws for different adapters and makes removing in a puller much simpler, even saves ferrules sometimes.

They also make a kit that’s quite useful, different sized screws for different adapters and makes removing in a puller much simpler, even saves ferrules sometimes.

Who sells that?

When the epoxy is heated, it's pretty easy to get out of there.

I've started to just drill it out and finish with a smaller flathead screw driver - Rarely do I ever struggle to get epoxy out of an adapter, so it's not all that methodical. Drill, scrape, move on.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ very simple process. You're just trying to get the old epoxy out. It's already been roughed up from the first installation, so there is no reason to use the drill more than a few short bursts. (y)
The wire brush bit is the greatest thing ever.

Back