How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Ok I have a set of heads coming and have some Nippon 950 GH pulls. I've replaced shafts before, but want to make sure I'm doing this right since these heads will be brand new.

All I do is out the heads on, right? What about adjusting swing weight? Shaft spine? Anything else?

Bottom line is there anything else I need to be doing or considering in installing iron heads on to steel shafts?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Yea there are some things to need to plan out if you want to do it right for sure.

Since you bought pulls, you're sort of at the mercy of the length they come to you at, unless you do some manipulations. I'll be glad to help if that does happen, but short version is you either cut them (if they are too long) or softstep them if they are too short.

Do you know how to properly measure a golf club? If not, learn how to do that first.

Find out the stock length of the heads you are working with, the swing weight they are in stock form (and the shaft they have stock), and consider any length adjustments you need from past fitting. In the absence of a swing weight scale, you can get very close to getting the weight right with that info.

Don't worry about spine.

Get some nice ferrules. You'll be happy you did, even if it means you have to wait a week.

Do you know how to properly measure a golf club? If not, learn how to do that first.

I do not. I tried before, but have no idea where I measure if the head is on. Or do I just measure while they're off?

So I liked the lengths of the shafts when I had them in MP H4's, but I'm assuming different heads means I'll end up with different lengths? Actually, reading that back makes me realize I answered my own question, of course it means different lengths.

Thanks for all the info!

It doesn't necessarily mean different lengths, but you should find out where they are stock to have a starting point and where you'll be with the new shafts imo. Different heads could change things a little or maybe not.

And this is just because my understanding is you want to do this all the way correct.

Here's how to measure:

I just use a tape measure and it seems to work well because the convex shape cradles the club. It's not perfect though because of the tab on the bottom. If you have a club you know the length of, that would be a good way to practice. If it's supposed to be 38", then you know if you're on or off w/ your measurement.

If you find yourself needing to adjust length, measure one this way and mark your desired length on the shaft. Then you can measure the shaft alone and step up 1/2" for the longer irons and down for the shorter ones (or whatever specs call for - sometimes there are bigger jumps in the long irons).

Write all your lengths down on paper and then mark your shafts with tape so you don't screw it up. Measure twice and cut once :)

Question for you exerienced guys;
If I cut down a 3 and 4 iron shaft from the butt end to put in a couple wedges will it affect anything?

I wouldn't do it. Those shafts have a step pattern designed for the clubs they are labeled with.

Thanks for the reply Hawk. I would assume that would hold true for graphite shafts also? I'm going to install some Recoil's next week.

Yes it would most likely.

I am having way too much fun now that I have a shaft puller. Re-shafted over 20 clubs in the last two days. Now I have no don't have any projects left to do and I feel empty.

I am having way too much fun now that I have a shaft puller. Re-shafted over 20 clubs in the last two days. Now I have no don't have any projects left to do and I feel empty.
Haha, it will come. You will start looking at random things and pondering... ie... what if i put this hybrid shaft into this 4i??

How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

I was able to install shafts into the J15 DPF's I just got. Everything is great, but one of the ferrules is about a quarter inch away from the head. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to get that ferrule flush with the head?

I was able to install shafts into the J15 DPF's I just got. Everything is great, but one of the ferrules is about a quarter inch away from the head. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to get that ferrule flush with the head?

Never mind, figured it out. I held the ferrule under hot water for about a minute and used a rag to slide it down. Good as new.

Quick qestion for everyone in here. I have a buddy who has a Taylormade R9 driver that separated. The shaft looks good no visible cracks at all, and the adapter still looks great. He asked if I would re epoxy it for him. Question is I have cleaned the adapter and the shaft off, (wire bit for the adapter and fine grip on the shaft for prep) but even just sliding the two together it seems really loose. i mean REALLY loose. Should i try a shim or just epoxy it as is? It is the the stock shaft that came in the R9 so i know it should be the correct dia. but it just seems like there is alot of play. Any help would be great. Thanks!

I bought some shaft beads from Golfsmith and mix it in the epoxy, it helps tighten up a loose fit. But honestly I have no idea what is too loose, I did a couple that I was able to easily turn the head on the shaft (spin really) and it epoxied just fine and none have flown off yet.

Quick qestion for everyone in here. I have a buddy who has a Taylormade R9 driver that separated. The shaft looks good no visible cracks at all, and the adapter still looks great. He asked if I would re epoxy it for him. Question is I have cleaned the adapter and the shaft off, (wire bit for the adapter and fine grip on the shaft for prep) but even just sliding the two together it seems really loose. i mean REALLY loose. Should i try a shim or just epoxy it as is? It is the the stock shaft that came in the R9 so i know it should be the correct dia. but it just seems like there is alot of play. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Is the fit so loose that the shaft can get off center in the tip? If not I would epoxy as is. Epoxy is gap filling adhesive and a looser fit is preferable to a tighter fit, provided the fit isn't so loose that the parts can shift out of whack as the epoxy cures. A too tight fit could starve the joint of epoxy.

Anyone ever use shaft extensions for a set of irons? Thoughts?

Anyone ever use shaft extensions for a set of irons? Thoughts?

Yep. Extended my Speedblades while I still had the stock steels in there. Easy enough to do. A little epoxy and the extension is in there for good. I also use extensions for wedges. Never had an issue.

Yep. Extended my Speedblades while I still had the stock steels in there. Easy enough to do. A little epoxy and the extension is in there for good. I also use extensions for wedges. Never had an issue.
Great, thanks!

Just installed some KBS tours in a set of Wilson m3 heads using this as a guide. Made it super simple and I'm not expecting any problems.

Glad to hear it.

Getting a set of recoils to put in my 545s and thinking about attempting the reshaft myself. Anything outside of the OP that I should be aware of with graphite iron shafts? Anything regarding swing weights? I have never done anything with swing weights before - I have reshafted wedges, hybrids, and drivers, but never irons.

How do I know what ferrules to order for the 545s?

Getting a set of recoils to put in my 545s and thinking about attempting the reshaft myself. Anything outside of the OP that I should be aware of with graphite iron shafts? Anything regarding swing weights? I have never done anything with swing weights before - I have reshafted wedges, hybrids, and drivers, but never irons.

How do I know what ferrules to order for the 545s?

I bought ferrules that would cover both sizes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dz-12-Custo...edge-shafts-/360833085247?hash=item540353ef3f

When I put recoils into the Apex I didn't do anything for swingweight and haven't had any issues.

Tagged for the future :)

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Back