How would you handle this situation?

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
How would you guys handle this situation and am I overreacting?

The course that I'm currently a member at is a very walker friendly design and there was a contingency of walkers that meet up every day to play.

The course allows walking by members at any time during the week, but only after 2PM on weekends. This poses a problem. There is a money game that starts at noon on Saturday and Sundays and they are extremely slow. Their last group typically tees off right before 2:00. They are slow enough that if you're in one of the last groups walking, you will not finish your round except for in the dead of summer when the course doesn't close until 8:30. Yes, they are that slow and you will not play through them, and they don't care about anyone else on the course.

At our last member's meeting, we brought up the fact that we were experiencing 5 and 6 hour rounds because of this game and we should be allowed to go off before them in order to clear congestion. We were told absolutely not, and pretty much told that the guys in the game had priority on the course over us, even though we were all long-time members. We were not happy, but it is what it is.

Fast forward to the Monday after Easter..... It was Monday, so our group shows up at 10:00AM to play and we are told that they are considering that Monday a holiday and that we would have to wait until 2:00. The course was fairly empty, there were maybe 20 golfers on the entire course and they turned away long-time members from playing. So we get a cart to play. And then are told at the 1st tee that it is cart path only for the day......... Needless to say, I was not happy, put my clubs in the car, expressed my displeasure adamantly to the pro and went home without playing.

I feel like a 2nd class citizen at this course lately where a small minority of members get to make the rules and decisions for everyone and no one else's opinions or golf matter. I have decided that I am joining a new course next month and not renewing my dues. Am I being overly hard on the guy or expecting too much? I have other issues with the course such as poor maintenance which had me thinking about leaving, but this was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back.

Completely unacceptable if I'm paying money for that type of stuff. They might not care about just you, but maybe talk with others that feel that same and at the next meeting tell them if something doesn't change you'll take your money elsewhere. I'm assuming if there are more people willing to leave than wanting to play 5/6 hour rounds there will be a change. I always figure if someone isn't willing to take my money and treat me right, somebody else will

Why be a member there? Cancel your membership and find new course.

No, I don't think you're over reacting. A country club is a luxury and it's spent to enjoy yourself. If the club is not accommodating, friendly, etc., I'd have no problem going elsewhere. Why pay for that aggravation?

Why be a member there? Cancel your membership and find new course.

I'm paid up until the end of May already, but I have a trial membership at another course for the month. They let me pay for one month as a trial to see if I like the place before chunking down the money for the initiation fee. What I've found the past 2 times I've went to the new course is a completely different mindset. The Director of Golf, Office Manager and Assistant Pro all know me by name already. I feel invited in every time I walk in and like they actually care whether I'm enjoying myself or not. They're letting me play in a member/guest tournament on Saturday even though I'm not a full member yet and I'm bringing a guest with me. The course is probably on the same level as the one I'm leaving in conditions. It's not pristine or perfect, but they care and there are no restrictions on playing, any time you want take a cart or walk it doesn't matter.

The only drawback is that the range is mat only. They are nice mats, more of a long single strip with about 30 bays than regular square mats, but they're still mats. They do have a nice shortgame practice area though. It is also about 35 minutes from the house, where the current course is 5 minutes away. It is right across the street from my work though, so playing after work will be a breeze.

Nope I'd bounce and go somewhere else that people used their heads at!!!

Sounds like the course is being run by a bunch of boneheads and they will be struggling to keep the doors open if they keep it up.

I'm paid up until the end of May already, but I have a trial membership at another course for the month. They let me pay for one month as a trial to see if I like the place before chunking down the money for the initiation fee. What I've found the past 2 times I've went to the new course is a completely different mindset. The Director of Golf, Office Manager and Assistant Pro all know me by name already. I feel invited in every time I walk in and like they actually care whether I'm enjoying myself or not. They're letting me play in a member/guest tournament on Saturday even though I'm not a full member yet and I'm bringing a guest with me. The course is probably on the same level as the one I'm leaving in conditions. It's not pristine or perfect, but they care and there are no restrictions on playing, any time you want take a cart or walk it doesn't matter.

The only drawback is that the range is mat only. They are nice mats, more of a long single strip with about 30 bays than regular square mats, but they're still mats. They do have a nice shortgame practice area though. It is also about 35 minutes from the house, where the current course is 5 minutes away. It is right across the street from my work though, so playing after work will be a breeze.
Honestly buddy, if I had to choose between a nice range at a course run by blowhard d-bags, and a well run course with matts and a nice short game area...

...I would be happy and have an amazing wedge game.

I would never stay a member of a course that told me when I could or couldn't walk (minus special events) and told me a money game had priority over others.

I'd leave without blinking an eye and let them know exactly why you're leaving.

Serious problem with this. I would definitely voice my issue, and if no resolution is forth coming, I would be cancel my membership and finding else where to play.
Question for you. How many members at your course? Sounds like a small majority is ruining this club. Can't you get enough members to change the bylaws to accommodate the majority of the membership?
Not sure what type of membership they would have to allow someone to get special treatment over other members.

Honestly buddy, if I had to choose between a nice range at a course run by blowhard d-bags, and a well run course with matts and a nice short game area...

...I would be happy and have an amazing wedge game.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. I just tend to overreact to certain situations especially involving my money and one of the other members that I play with seemed to blow it off like it was no big deal, which made me wonder if maybe this was one of those times.

I think you already know your decision. Change clubs. The new club seems to treat you much, much better. Be happy, have fun.

I think the policy is fair, its the same policy my previous course had and I never had a problem with it. They would let you out a bit early as a walker if their were no remaining tee times, but that wasn't usual.

But I definitly think it makes sense for you to find a course that will allow you to walk on weekends if that is the way you prefer to play.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. I just tend to overreact to certain situations especially involving my money and one of the other members that I play with seemed to blow it off like it was no big deal, which made me wonder if maybe this was one of those times.
It's your money man. You've sacrificed a lot for it. Life's too short. Go be happy.

I would never stay a member of a course that told me when I could or couldn't walk (minus special events) and told me a money game had priority over others.

I'd leave without blinking an eye and let them know exactly why you're leaving.

Do you know of many private courses in the area that allow walking on weekend mornings? Ignoring the ones that are primarily just for walkers anyway.

Listen to Blu......he is wise

New course sounds like a dream honestly instead of a nightmare like the one your at.

I'm sure a couple others are looking at leaving as well, try working a good deal if a group of people all join together at the new place

Serious problem with this. I would definitely voice my issue, and if no resolution is forth coming, I would be cancel my membership and finding else where to play.
Question for you. How many members at your course? Sounds like a small majority is ruining this club. Can't you get enough members to change the bylaws to accommodate the majority of the membership?
Not sure what type of membership they would have to allow someone to get special treatment over other members.

The last time I checked, there were about 140 full paying members. I would say that 40 of them have a hand in the money game, which gets preferential treatment over the other members. When there are member's meetings, only about 30-40 people show up at any given time.

Do you know of many private courses in the area that allow walking on weekend mornings? Ignoring the ones that are primarily just for walkers anyway.

Never had a problem walking at Avila, minus special events. Then again, I also let people in carts play through so I didn't slow down groups that I knew were likely playing for money.

The last time I checked, there were about 140 full paying members. I would say that 40 of them have a hand in the money game, which gets preferential treatment over the other members. When there are member's meetings, only about 30-40 people show up at any given time.
I think blu is right. Time for a new club. If the course is open and a few keep it bottled up for them selves, is time to spend my money somewhere else.

I think the policy is fair, its the same policy my previous course had and I never had a problem with it. They would let you out a bit early as a walker if their were no remaining tee times, but that wasn't usual.

But I definitly think it makes sense for you to find a course that will allow you to walk on weekends if that is the way you prefer to play.

I've been a member here for 6 years and that's always been the policy. I never had a problem with it before because it was the policy that was in place when I signed up. I always understood why they didn't let guests walk on the weekend mornings, and kind of understand that they're trying to make money off of carts during the busiest hours for golf. No problem, I've got it. The course has to make money to operate and I'm good with that. It didn't become a problem until this money game started and the number of people playing in it grew. As it grew, the slower they got. This course is fairly flat and easy, and there's no way it should take 6 hours for a round. I should be able to finish before dark when I tee off at 2:30, that wasn't happening.

I would be taking my money and my game elsewhere. I am a diehard walker and luckily my club does not put any restrictions on times when walking is permitted. My course has money games, which normally consists of 4 - 6 groups, like you are referring to but they all play at a normal pace and will let me through of invite me to play along if there is no place to go ahead.

Seems like a harsh policy. My home course allows walking anytime on week days and after Noon on weekends. Plus we can walk anytime it is cart path only.

Is there a Board of Governors for the membership? Anyone you could take this too? Maybe start a petition if not

Seems like a harsh policy. My home course allows walking anytime on week days and after Noon on weekends. Plus we can walk anytime it is cart path only.

Is there a Board of Governors for the membership? Anyone you could take this too? Maybe start a petition if not

Nope, it seems like a "Good Old Boys" club and the Pro has the final say. I think it will just be easier if I go somewhere else and petition with my money. I know I'm not the only one who is tired of the way the members are treated if you're not in the group and I expect there will be a bunch leaving besides me.

If you are not happy, and don't want to support decisions that you disagree with, then take your money to the other course.
As others have said - it is your money. Make yourself happy!
Short game areas are underrated, I love the one at my club. That is where your game will excel and how your handicap will travel, anyway.

I would leave in a heartbeat. 6 hour rounds would be torture for me. Many years ago, in my caddie days, there was a "skins" group that played for a decent amount of money every Sunday, with tee times starting at 8am. Private course. Usually between 12-20 of them. Most of the walked, and could play faster then groups in carts.

Back