Hurricane Michael

Pensacola was spared any significant damage from Michael, from what I can tell. Not sure about the shore areas. The West side of a hurricane is the side to be on if you have to have one. Praying that the Panama City area and nearby, and South Georgia areas that felt the full hurricane force winds are not too devastated.

From what I’m hearing it was good luck that the worst of the hurricane hit one of the least populated sections of the gulf coast. Devastating but could have been so much worse had it hit one of the much more populated areas just to the west.

Didn't lose power with Florence (except for a couple brief instances) but did with Michael. Weird. Hoping they get it back on soon, I returned my unused generator from Florence.

Tyndall AFB (home of the F-22) is an absolute disaster area. Catastrophic is a word being used pretty frequently.

TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE 0600 UPDATE - Base leaders do not yet have an estimate of when Tyndall AFB will reopen. Base leaders are working with Air Force leadership to develop a short-term plan for our Airmen.

Recovery teams have begun initial assessments of the base. They have found widespread catastrophic damage.

Recovery teams conducted an initial assessment of portions of base housing. They found widespread roof damage to nearly every home.

“At this point, Tyndall residents and evacuated personnel should remain at their safe location,” said Col. Brian Laidlaw, 325th Fighter Wing commander. “We are actively developing plans to reunite families and plan to provide safe passage back to base housing.”

The evacuation order remains in effect for Tyndall.

Didn't lose power with Florence (except for a couple brief instances) but did with Michael. Weird. Hoping they get it back on soon, I returned my unused generator from Florence.

This power outage looks like it's going to last awhile. Time to go buy another generator. *sigh*

Tyndall AFB (home of the F-22) is an absolute disaster area. Catastrophic is a word being used pretty frequently.
The pictures I have seen have been bad.

All good on the homefront. No damage to the house, but no power so far.

Just watched video footage of Mexico Beach or what is left of it I should say. It looks like a bomb went off there. I feel so badly for all those that have been impacted by this storm. We were lucky where we leave as we didn't even lose power despite some crazy strong wind and rain, but there were a lot that were not as fortunate as we were.

Finally some power after 2+ days without. Had to drive 3 hours to Destin to get it but have it nonetheless. Back is killing me from all the clean-up yesterday. Think it may be at least a few more days before power is resumed at home. Huge fallen pine trees took out several power lines just a few blocks away. But most importantly, everybody is safe and sound.

We got power back this afternoon. We're on the same substation as at least two schools, so that may have helped.

We got power back this afternoon. We're on the same substation as at least two schools, so that may have helped.
My parents house was on the same as a sewer liftstation and two power company execs. They always got theirs back first. My current house is on the same as the houses right around me and nothing else. So I get to wait.

I hope the other THPers get theirs back quickly as well.

Glad to hear folks made it through ok.

Still a really sad state of affairs in parts of the FL panhandle. Spent 2 days helping out in Panama City last weekend and Monday and in Marianna today. Small consolation to those fine folks is the weather has cooled off a little in the last couple of days. Have some amazing friends from high school in Niceville, FL that are working their fingers to the bone to provide help to people in the impacted areas and I am meeting them to lend my assistance whenever possible. They are doing everything from helping clear debris to providing needed supplies to feeding people hot meals, and everything in between. Just heartwarming stuff in a heartbreaking situation.

Back