Hurricane Michael

Looks like the storm is settling in a path, the center of which is, somewhere between just Destin to almost Alligator Point. Landfall looks like tomorrow late morning to early afternoon and then moving out of the area to the NE. Forecast strength is generally coming together as a Cat 3 when it comes ashore.

I posted a diagram yesterday of the storm just before landfall. Here is an update just after landfall from the latest run from the same forecast model:

hwrf_ref_14L_12.png

This looks like it will hit as a category 3 and there have only been 4 hurricanes of that category to hit the panhandle since 1950. Hopefully it weakens.

Preparing for the worst in SW GA. Looking like we are still dead in the crosshairs. Plenty of Holiday Inn points on standby in case of an extended power outage.

This particular model has bumped the track a little to the west in its latest run. Other models whose graphics aren't as zoomed in are projecting a path more toward Panama City or further east. Y'all in the path stay safe.

hwrf_ref_14L_10.png

After Florence came right over us and we were out of power for a little over two days (thankfully not terribly hot days), I ordered a standby generator that was supposed to be installed today but now delivery has been delayed. With Michael expected to pass near here after coming up through the deep south, I'm gonna be PO'd if we lose power before this thing gets hooked up. I'm really concerned about the rising temperatures in the Gulf and Atlantic and believe we are entering a pattern where damaging storms are going to be more frequent. Heck, with Matthew and Florence, we had two 100-year floods in two years.

This particular model has bumped the track a little to the west in its latest run. Other models whose graphics aren't as zoomed in are projecting a path more toward Panama City or further east. Y'all in the path stay safe.

hwrf_ref_14L_10.png

West, or even straight north, would be great for us. Everything I am looking at still shows the storm moving on a NE path.

West, or even straight north, would be great for us. Everything I am looking at still shows the storm moving on a NE path.

Hang on tight with the wife and kids Scott. Gonna get a little rough in your area but y’all will make it through it. Bunker down from wind, run from water.

Be safe everyone!

Hang on tight with the wife and kids Scott. Gonna get a little rough in your area but y’all will make it through it. Bunker down from wind, run from water.

Have everything as ready as possible. Just a waiting game following the news/weather now.

Have everything as ready as possible. Just a waiting game following the news/weather now.

Wunderground has been a good one. Little more straight numbers and the actual NOAA report, but I kinda like that more than whatever the weather channel says

Wunderground has been a good one. Little more straight numbers and the actual NOAA report, but I kinda like that more than whatever the weather channel says
DESTRUCTION FOR ALL MANKIND- weather channel

I don't even bother with the weather channel any more. All they do is try to scare the hell out of everybody with doom and gloom. Mainly following the Euro Model updates. Will check out the one you posted.

I don't even bother with the weather channel any more. All they do is try to scare the hell out of everybody with doom and gloom. Mainly following the Euro Model updates. Will check out the one you posted.

Agreed, the euro model is the one I follow and that website tends to do the same. It’s not doom and gloom it is straight up maps and what the NOAA sends to everyone.

good luck to everyone in the path and surround areas of the storm.

So weird, we are expected to get hit by this storm once makes land fall. Thought I got away from Canes when I moved to GA

Y’all be careful. Stay safe and dry.

What is the update on landfall? Hope everyone stays safe and no major issues.

Stay safe All that are in the path of Michael. Wherever it hits, I hope all are safe. This one looks a little unpredictable at this point.

Current winds are at 120, and they’re expecting it to get a little stronger. 130 puts it at cat 4.

What is the update on landfall? Hope everyone stays safe and no major issues.

The latest projections I’ve seen have the eye making landfall in the early afternoon from Panama City Beach SE toward Mexico Beach. Tyndall AFB is in that area.

Current winds are at 120, and they’re expecting it to get a little stronger. 130 puts it at cat 4.

oh my...

Hope you and your families stay safe

Don’t think I’ll get much more than a few squalls of outer rainbands. Central FL will be ok on this one.

And it hasn’t been able to form a completely closed eye. The cloud top temps seem to indicate thunderstorms typically associated with stronger storms. Hopefully, it is too close to land to make a huge jump in wind speed.

ETA: Now I’m seeing that the eye has closed and cleared.

Last edited:
Back