Hurricane Michael

And it hasn’t been able to form a completely closed eye. The cloud top temps seem to indicate thunderstorms typically associated with stronger storms. Hopefully, it is too close to land to make a huge jump in wind speed.

ETA: Now I’m seeing that the eye has closed and cleared.

Yep, predicted to be a Cat 4 by morning. 11pm update had sustained winds around 125mph.

5 am update: 140 mph winds, 937 pressure. (Strongest October storm). Possible to go to 145 before landfall. 9-13 feet of surge with waves on top of that. It hasn’t made the turn to the NE yet. There eas a wobble to the right but it came to its N heading.

Last edited:
Wishing everyone well down there. I have plenty of friends, both THP and Air Force, that are in the path. This one has me watching the news a bit more than normal.
Ts and Ps.

5 am update: 140 mph winds, 937 pressure. (Strongest October storm). Possible to go to 145 before landfall. 9-13 feet of surge with waves on top of that. It hasn’t made the turn to the NE yet. There eas a wobble to the right but it came to its N heading.

Not good. There has never been a category 4 that has hit the panhandle and the records go back to 1851. I hope everyone has gotten out of there to safety.

Oh my that's not good. Hopefully everyone has taken necessary precautions and gotten the heck out. Even with all our tech these days, this one just came out of nowhere within a few days and now it's a cat 4? Positive thoughts and prayers will all those effected.

Be smart, everyone, and stay safe! Let us know you made it okay!

Keep your heads down and stay safe.

Stay safe down there guys! Thoughts and Prayers to all of you in it's path.

To Ken and the rest of you, please stay safe.

Be safe everybody! Thoughts and prayers coming your way!

be safe everyone in the PBC area. this isn't going to be good for them. Hopefully yall are out of there. If you're not, hope you're protected through the storm and have enough supply for about 2-5 days

Now at 155 mph (2 mph short of Cat 5). Looks really scary in Panama City and they are getting 100 - 120... Enjoying the power while I still have it.

Stay safe everyone in the area!

Now at 155 mph (2 mph short of Cat 5). Looks really scary in Panama City and they are getting 100 - 120... Enjoying the power while I still have it.

I assume living in a rural area, you have a generator?

Man I hope everyone is ok in that area. Design wind loads are lower for the panhandle than for the peninsula. The potential for damage is very high.

Stay safe my FL brethren!

I assume living in a rural area, you have a generator?

I do. Hope it works. Have not used it in years. We are in the city so on public utilities so at least the water won't go away. We have a hotel reservation in Alachua for Friday - Sunday if needed. Closest place I could find to here that was out of the path.

That is insane how fast this thing blew up, I can't imagine the power behind this. Saturday evening it just becomes a tropical depression and 90 hours later it's pushing cat 5 and making landfall. Positive T&Ps to all effected.

That is insane how fast this thing blew up, I can't imagine the power behind this. Saturday evening it just becomes a tropical depression and 90 hours later it's pushing cat 5 and making landfall. Positive T&Ps to all effected.

It really is. Saw a presedential briefing earlier where it was stated that the storm did not even ping the radar of the National Weather Service until Saturday.

It really is. Saw a presedential briefing earlier where it was stated that the storm did not even ping the radar of the National Weather Service until Saturday.

Literally the first mention of it was Saturday at 6pm when it was categorized originally. I think that's the danger in this one. Most people didn't know anything about it until Monday and just 2 days later it's making landfall in horrific fashion. Usually you're tracking these things off the Gold coast for upwards of 2+ weeks and able to prepare for a week. Hopefully people have gotten prepared quickly and as fast as this formed, it moves out in similar speedy fashion.

Literally the first mention of it was Saturday at 6pm when it was categorized originally. I think that's the danger in this one. Most people didn't know anything about it until Monday and just 2 days later it's making landfall in horrific fashion. Usually you're tracking these things off the Gold coast for upwards of 2+ weeks and able to prepare for a week. Hopefully people have gotten prepared quickly and as fast as this formed, it moves out in similar speedy fashion.

I had heard absolutely nothing about it until this thread popped up Monday. We are supposed to start seeing 50 mph or so in the next hour to hour and a half and building to around 100 later tonight. Hope the land kills it more than that but we are as prepared as possible for the worst.

Take care guys and gals. Please let us know when the storm has past and that you're safe. T's and P's.

They’ll reclassify it as a Cat 5 at this point. When you have 175+ gusts, that’s just a big nasty storm.

Back