Ideal Playing Partner In Team Competitions

I need someone who's relaxed and doesn't have to over-analyze every shot. At my handicap level, I want someone who understands what my miss is and will quietly remind me of specific things I'm working on without new advice.

Before the round: I'll say that I've got to watch my grip because I keep reverting back to a very weak grip, so my partner simply says something like "150 yards, strong grip, nice swing". Nothing more is necessary at that point and let's stay relaxed between shots, I want to win, but I want to have fun at the same time.

Everybody is different, I just want someone to be themselves and have fun. Talking or quiet, serious or silly makes no difference it is all about enjoying the experience.

This ^^^^^^ I just want to enjoy my round. A relaxed round is generally a solid round. I'm a different player in team matches then I am in indo matches. I need a player that is enjoying himself and can cut me, if needed, in two holes a side.

I play a great deal with my buddy butch and we can shoot great scores separate but as a team we fail. He has such an intense outlook on the easiest of matches and usually pushes me into a different zone. I spend more energy trying to get out of that zone that I often come up
Short for a few holes and that usually the difference in halving or winning.

I want to play with someone that likes to have fun and converse. I enjoy laughing out there and playing relaxed.

Ham & egging in fun as well, huh Jordan?

Only played a couple of team events, but it has usually been with the same people I play with for casual rounds which is a bonus as we both know each others game and what our strengths / weaknesses are and can bounce ideas off each other

Coming from playing competitive doubles badminton, I would say my ideal playing partner would be someone who can keep me on an even keel regardless of which way my game is going - if it is bad, then they can help pick me up and forget the bad shots, but on the other side, if I am playing out of my skin I might need reeling back in slightly if I say I am going for dangerous shots that are likely the '1 in a million' shots that would cost us big time when it doesn't work

In scrambles I enjoy guys that don't take it too seriously even if there are good prizes to be had. As for league I do best with players that are risk averse. My league isn't great and my team is bad but when we stay within ourselves we can be successful given the strokes we get.

There have been some really good responses in this thread so far. Thanks guys for all of the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There have been some really good responses in this thread so far. Thanks guys for all of the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think one thing to take into consideration is the type of person that YOU are and how you respond to the different types of people you could be playing with. Sometimes it can't be avoided, but if the person you are playing with respects your outlook you can get two completely opposite people that click and work well together

This will sound goofy, but I've had the opportunity to partner with a few THPers, Jesse in DM, Nate and Jeff in MC. And all 3 were great partners, so I guess if I had to choose a partner it would be a THPer!!!

But in all seriousness, I pair well with someone who has a bit of distance off the tee, I'm fairly straight so I can get a ball in play in a scramble and let the other person swing for the fences!

Second, for me it's all about personality, if I can find someone who I mesh well with it makes it that much easier to have open dialogues about strategy and position!

To be honest, I haven't played a round with a THPer yet that I wouldn't want as a partner in a team competition.

Granted, I've only met about 25 THPers, but I haven't met a bad one yet and am starting to thing there's no such thing.

Someone who doesn't talk to my ball. And someone who doesn't tell me they've "never played this bad before". You can't be too laid back for me, but you can be too intense.

I just like playing with people who are laid back and fun to be around. Golf is supposed to be fun. That doesn't mean I don't care about winning. It just means that it's more important to me that I enjoy the experience than it is to win.

No need to be sorry. You were fine. We had a good day, the weather was pretty bad. No one had a good day.

Ha the weather kept it interesting for sure.

Honestly I think every THPer I've met would make for an awesome partner come win or loose.

Everyone here can talk gear to some extent, has a passion for the game, loves being at amazing events has a cool background in the game and life. So yeah any THPer would be a great partner.

I like a teammate who doesn't mind me being a motivator, just as much as I like to be motivated. My teammate needs to be good with my pushing them to a degree, as I want to be as well. There is going to be shots or holes where we both make a mistake, and I know I'm going to beat myself up a little...so I need a teammate who's going to give me a "it's all good...get it back here" and ok with me doing the same back. I'm not a big cheerleader for the most part, but when my teammate wins a hole or makes a shot, you've got to know I'm giving a small fist pump, and maybe "boom" or two, or something of that nature. My teammate is going to hear more from me in the cart, motivation back and forth. I want a teammate who's not afraid to see me lined up in-correctly and call me off if it's really bad, someone who is not afraid to tell me if he sees something that I don't. I need a someone who's ok with me asking him, what his plan is with his shot here, as walking through a shot and visualizing a positive outcome is good for your game.

I'm not out to throw another team under the bus, but I'm not going to be your BEST friend either. I'll throw out a good shot, nice putt and such...but don't get fooled, I'm out to beat you. After the round, then we can have a drink and be buddies again. lol

I'm pretty easy going, so I don't know if I've got really strong feelings either way. About the only thing I don't like is sulking and anger. That's just awkward. As for chatty or quieter, either way is fine.

My dad is my ideal teammate. He is a 7x club champion, 3x ASGA open champion, former long drive champion (regional completion) and is the calmest, coolest guy I know. He knows exactly what to say and when to say it, to keep you out of your head and in the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ideal teammate is your dad

My dad is my ideal teammate. He is a 7x club champion, 3x ASGA open champion, former long drive champion (regional completion) and is the calmest, coolest guy I know. He knows exactly what to say and when to say it, to keep you out of your head and in the game!

Sounds like a great guy to play with.

Great thread!

I suppose my ideal playing partner is supportive and good, but one thing I've noticed is that if we are good social match we end talking about and time just flies by, we making birdies. Too much pondering over the next shot or concentrating on the opponent isn't that fun, relax, swing and miracles will become reality.

Sounds like a great guy to play with.

You have no idea. Last year he ha three knee surgeries, one neck surgery and we almost lost him to a heart attack. He had three stents put in and is just now getting his strength back. Look out because he says he's ready to kick some a&& lol

I also need a partner who isn't telling all the time how I should've hit something or trying to fix my swing.

Encouraging and supportive but not overly coaching. Not overly chatty either as their plenty of time for conversation after the final putt hits the bottom of the cup on 18. And do not pull out a cell phone unless there is a legitimate emergency that needs to be tended to right then!

When I read the title I was thinking more in terms of style of play then personality. Personality wise I'd need someone who was positive and into the match (not win at all costs and overly serious though) and who would stay in the match all the way.

For style of play I think it depends on the format. I have 2 really good friends I played a lot of 2-man with over the years. One played a lot like me (in-play, lots of pars, etc) the other was the complete opposite (big hitter, all over the place, lots of birdies, lots of "others"). In best-ball I did much better with the guy who played like me..in scramble it was the opposite.

Relaxed and wants to have fun. The golf will take care of itself.

Back