Immediate Rust on Mack Daddy 2s

ghostbeezy

Just happy to participate
Reaction score
Handicap
Guys,

I have a 56 and 58 Mack Daddy 2 Wedges. I used them saturday on the course, and they started to Rust immediately. This morning, they have a noticable amount of rust on the irons. I don't love rust on the wedges, especially since 1 is custom painted and stamped by Callaway.

1) Will the rust affect the stamping on the wedge in any way?
2) Will the rust affect the quality of the wedge?
3) Is the Rust just an astetic (sp?) thing for the wedge?

I'm very put off by this rust thing, and am concerned, if it's not a big deal, I'll leave it. If it is, i want it fixed, post haste.

Lots of guys prefer to have rusty wedges. It shouldn't affect there playability one bit. I say embarrass the rust.

It shouldn't really effect the stamping much, and it certainly won't affect performance at all. Some wedges just rust because some people like the look. I personally don't either.

Guys,

I have a 56 and 58 Mack Daddy 2 Wedges. I used them saturday on the course, and they started to Rust immediately. This morning, they have a noticable amount of rust on the irons. I don't love rust on the wedges, especially since 1 is custom painted and stamped by Callaway.

1) Will the rust affect the stamping on the wedge in any way?
2) Will the rust affect the quality of the wedge?
3) Is the Rust just an astetic (sp?) thing for the wedge?

I'm very put off by this rust thing, and am concerned, if it's not a big deal, I'll leave it. If it is, i want it fixed, post haste.

It shouldn't negatively impact anything, however I can say that it's possible to avoid rust on wedges that have a raw finish as I managed to keep raw Nikes nearly spotless for a couple months last year.

Wipe with a wet cloth after every use, and immediately with a dry one after that. Don't store them in damp places overnight. It's really quite easy to keep them clean.

Steel wool will take care of that rust.

Aren't the raw finishes designed to rust? It helps with glare, for sure. I prefer my wedges rusty.

Man, after all the work I did to get my wedges to rust, and his just do it automatically.

So unfair.

I heard steel wool will scrub off most of the excess rust.

Chrome or satin chrome finish is probably what you'll want to look for next time around. Black finishes tend to wear off as well and some will rust up.

It was 1 round, and I hit them... 6 total times on the round. it's ABSURD. I'll post picutres tonight.

I actually got told, soak them in Coke for 3 min, then scrub with a tool scrub brush and they should polish back up. They are raw materialed.

I may keep the custom one cleaned, and let the other rust. During the Rust process, do you just let her go? It won't damage them, so I guess I dont see the issue.

I'm assuming you got the Slate finish, because that will wear and rust by design. If it really bothers you, like others have recommended, steel wool will should do away with it.

Like othersw have said the Slate finish is designed to wear quickly and rust, rusting after 1 use is still a bit surprising. The milky chrome finish will take MUCH longer to rust however. Some like the rust, some don't, that's why its nice when they offer multiple finishes. With the custom stamping I'm sure returning them for the chrome finish will be tough. If you can get used to the aestethics, they won't negatively impact the performance.

It was 1 round, and I hit them... 6 total times on the round. it's ABSURD. I'll post picutres tonight.

I actually got told, soak them in Coke for 3 min, then scrub with a tool scrub brush and they should polish back up. They are raw materialed.

I may keep the custom one cleaned, and let the other rust. During the Rust process, do you just let her go? It won't damage them, so I guess I dont see the issue.

Yes, the Slate finish is designed to rust. Its a preference for many as a look that reduces glare. Some believe it will increase spin, but testing shows that not to be the case. Just about every company offers a wedge that is designed to show wear/rust.

Were they they raw finish you see on tour? If so that is sweet, and will certainly rust QUICK!

Don't the MD2s have small dots on it for temporary added friction that steel wool could rub right off?

Yeah, The front, I dont want to damage the texture on the front. Tonight, I'll upload whats happened to them in two days. lol.

I was wondering how these would age. How did they play for the 6 shots you hit? I hope you are able to get used to the rust.

Play great, They stop cold. I'm getting used to the fact they check up REAL hard. There were a few shots, where with soft greens, it was like chipping onto fly paper. I laughed, becase we caught a group, and chipping, I practiced lobbing onto a green, and the 2nd chip stopped right next to it, they would land where they hit and just STOP.

I was wondering how these would age. How did they play for the 6 shots you hit? I hope you are able to get used to the rust.

For what its worth, I have 6 rounds on the milky chrome finish and they look new.

Mine are rusted and I love them. I think it adds to the look. But it's easily removed with coke and brush

Of all the thigns to see be polarizing, RUST ON A WEDGE? Who knew.

I think i'm going to rock the rust for a bit. I'm seeing people take months of rust off without much efford, beside coke and a brush.

They are designed to rust but if you don't like the look or feel just soak the heads in CLR for about 2 minutes and wipe off with a thick towel or green scotch brite pad. Keep em as dry as possible after each shot/round and you can stave off the rust so you only need to CLR every month or so. I have the older slate Jaws CCs and personally I love the rust.

Back