That’s not always true, at least not here with a heavy international college population.

My use of the word awful was probably too strong. I’ve visited curry houses in every state I’ve visited and my issue is nearly always the same. Lack of dishes (the 2 dishes I mentioned are rarely on the menu, and when they are are often not done right) and the lack of heat. Everytime I go to a place here, I have to beg the chef to hurt me. I sound like an idiot, but I always tell them make the hottest curry you can, and then add heat. And everytime I won’t even break into a sweat. Heat for me is an integral part of any curry.

Love it. Of all the places in our city. If we are going for dinner, or ordering takeout it is either Indian or one other favorite.

Usually Something spicy, something medium, something mild. Add samosas and naan. A bunch of rice and raita.

For a city of 50k people in the middle of nowhere Canada, we are blessed with an exceptionally good (and very reasonably priced) Indian restaurant.

Love me some butter chicken and nan.

I'm so-so on it, can take it or leave it - but if I'm going to eat it I want it super spicy! I can't stand curry unless it's hot enough to burn the hairs out of my nostrils just from smelling it, then it's good.

Tiki Masala is about the extent of my indian food knowledge. I like it, don't eat it very often
Find a local place and go for the vindaloo!

Pass. Not a fan of the resulting explosive diarrhea.
Season 8 Nbc GIF by The Office

I’m having Indian food for the first time this Friday and I’m not really sure what to go for but I’m looking forward to it

I’m having Indian food for the first time this Friday and I’m not really sure what to go for but I’m looking forward to it
I'm partial to goat, but I eat weird.

Ok. I think we're going for Indian tonight. Maybe.
What do we get?
Chicken vindaloo is my go to. Chicken tikka masala was the first dish I tried and really liked.

Ha! Finally!!! A decent subject. I’ll upset everyone straight off by saying Indian food in the US is like Mexican food in the UK, on the whole awful. I’ve only managed to find one half decent place up in San Francisco. Thankfully, my wife has realized for hunger for decent Indian and now makes a bloody amazing curry. She makes her own Garam Masala and her dishes are not far off what I see to get back home. Dish of choice, Jalfrezi with a keema naan on the side!
Largely agree. My first day of a real job I started with one of my best friends and he’s Indian. His family kind of ruined me for Indian food at a restaurant. But in UK it is amazing.

I love Indian food but rarely eat it

Anyone else REALLY enjoy Indian food? I’m a BIG Vindaloo fan, of course, I can do Tikka Masala as well.
Sign me up! I wish it was a bigger hit in my house… I’ll seek it out whenever I travel.

I’ll stick with the tandoori chicken and naan bread.

I'll eat just about every kind of food. There's a few things I don't like. Indian food checks off all the boxes of something I would enjoy, but I don't like curry. I've tried it multiple times and want to like it. Just can't get there.

I love good indian food. Lots of great dishes. I have Tikka Masala quite often. Need to find a good place nearby. Haven't found anything close enough to frequent yet.

My use of the word awful was probably too strong. I’ve visited curry houses in every state I’ve visited and my issue is nearly always the same. Lack of dishes (the 2 dishes I mentioned are rarely on the menu, and when they are are often not done right) and the lack of heat. Everytime I go to a place here, I have to beg the chef to hurt me. I sound like an idiot, but I always tell them make the hottest curry you can, and then add heat. And everytime I won’t even break into a sweat. Heat for me is an integral part of any curry.
No Indian cuisine in my area, but a Thai place opened up recently. The menu gives you options of Mild, Medium, Hot, or Extra Hot for spice levels. I ordered my first dish from there at "medium" spice to get a gauge on it. It wasn't spicy to me at all! They also offer an array of curries. I supposed I'll have to try one of those next.
I'm partial to goat, but I eat weird.
I've had goat exactly one time at a restaurant in Columbus. And I loved it!

Indian is my second favorite ethnicity of food behind Mexican. We have a fantastic place by us that we frequent that has killer curry.

They do tend to have a hard time getting it low enough spice for my wife though lol.

Ha! Finally!!! A decent subject. I’ll upset everyone straight off by saying Indian food in the US is like Mexican food in the UK, on the whole awful. I’ve only managed to find one half decent place up in San Francisco. Thankfully, my wife has realized for hunger for decent Indian and now makes a bloody amazing curry. She makes her own Garam Masala and her dishes are not far off what I see to get back home. Dish of choice, Jalfrezi with a keema naan on the side!
Yea that is all going to be regional and based on who owns and operates it. All of our places here are owned by immigrants and a few very good options close to us.

On the whole though, I can see your point. We oddly have some really good and authentic Mexican food up here too. Cleveland secretly crushes it in terms of food.

Back