I hav always loved Indian food. When we were on the cruise last month, the Indian food was consistently the best option when eating in the Windjammer. Very flavorful in a sea of under seasoned food.

I've yet to have an experience with a well known indian dish that I was thrilled about.

not sure why or what it is - probably haven't tried enough.

I love Indian food. A good buffet is tough to beat.

Indian in the US is like Thai, or other Asian foods, when you are asked what spice level for the dish then it's wrong.

A vindaloo is a vindaloo, it's not medium or mild, same as a butter chicken should not be hot or medium.

But when you find a chef who will make it how they would eat it, then you are in for a treat, especially if you ask where they're from (the food is incredibly regional and diverse).

I love Ministry of Curry on Facebook for recipes for my instant pot for curry at home.

I've yet to have an experience with a well known indian dish that I was thrilled about.

not sure why or what it is - probably haven't tried enough.
You probably don't like turmeric.

I actually made a fried butter chicken naan panini a few days ago.

It was definitely a risk. But it was really good.

Wife won’t touch it, therefore I don’t. Pregnancy + Neighbors from India = Lifelong ban. Even the thought makes her ill. Funny how the mind works.

Wife won’t touch it, therefore I don’t. Pregnancy + Neighbors from India = Lifelong ban. Even the thought makes her ill. Funny how the mind works.
Wife is that way with seafood for the same reason.

Indian in the US is like Thai, or other Asian foods, when you are asked what spice level for the dish then it's wrong.

A vindaloo is a vindaloo, it's not medium or mild, same as a butter chicken should not be hot or medium.

But when you find a chef who will make it how they would eat it, then you are in for a treat, especially if you ask where they're from (the food is incredibly regional and diverse).
Except, every time I ask for it hot, it’s never that hot. Eating vindaloos that don’t break a bead of sweat are extremely disappointing.

I love Ministry of Curry on Facebook for recipes for my instant pot for curry at home.
Are they all vegetarian on Ministry of Curry, or am I missing something?

ETA: never mind, went to their website and found everything

Last edited:
Are they all vegetarian on Ministry of Curry, or am I missing something?

ETA: never mind, went to their website and found everything
Vegetarian is a lot of Indian cooking for sure, if you're into seafood check out Goan recipes.

I'm with @AuzzieMatt, love a good goat curry.

I've been searching for moons since leaving the UK for a proper Dhansak (spicy, savory lentil curry) and am still looking.

Another odd one I do is instead of rice I'll order a peshwari Naan (coconut and sweet fruit inside) that goes so well with a hot curry (if you can get them hot enough)

What does that mean?

What does that mean?

Lived in an apartment, she was pregnant, neighbors were from India and the cooking smell made her morning sickness worse. It’s kinda like when you get sick from drinking too much tequila.

You can’t hide curry.

You can’t hide curry
This is also so true.

Growing up, mum would make 'curry' which in NZ meant curry powder which you could smell down the street and was awful.

Wasn't till I got to the UK and found real Indian & Bangladeshi food that I understood how good this is.

This is also so true.

Growing up, mum would make 'curry' which in NZ meant curry powder which you could smell down the street and was awful.

Wasn't till I got to the UK and found real Indian & Bangladeshi food that I understood how good this is.
No curried snags for you then?

Lived in an apartment, she was pregnant, neighbors were from India and the cooking smell made her morning sickness worse. It’s kinda like when you get sick from drinking too much tequila.

You can’t hide curry.

When I fist moved to London, it was a relocation with the company. They took us round houses to look at for renting purposes. West London there are obviously a lot of Asian families and as soon as you walked in the front door, you could tell who had been living in the house previously. The smell of the spices gets into the walls and just stays there. Not much different to if there’s been a heavy smoker in the house I guess.

My understanding is that “curry” isn’t “just curry” but more a family hand me down sort of thing.

Damn I miss Anthony Bourdain ☹️.

What are snags?

Going to try out this tonight:

Snags aka sausages

What are snags?

Going to try out this tonight:

Australian/New Zealand beef sausages. Only 2 places I know of over here that make them and they're super expensive so I make my own.

As an Indian I have to say yes. Also, I have to say that my mum makes the best Indian food ever.

Many people probably don't know that the "curry" you get in an Indian restaurant isn't anything like curry in an Indian home. It's more complex, often thin and mixed with other items on rice.

If you want a bit of fun, try eating an Indian meal with just your hands. No utensils.

Last edited:
Australian/New Zealand beef sausages. Only 2 places I know of over here that make them and they're super expensive so I make my own.
With this trip, got to have garlic & onion beef snags my step dad had made from the last beast, wow. & that was the cold leftovers from the fridge & not fresh off the barbie

As an Indian I have to say yes. Also, I have to say that my mum makes the best Indian food ever.

Many people probably don't know that the "curry" you get in an Indian restaurant isn't anything like curry in an Indian home. It's more complex, often thin and mixed with other items on rice.

If you want a bit of fun, try eating an Indian meal with just your hands. No utensils.
My friend gave me a bag of his mums home made garam masala they use, have been extra careful with it as their recipe is a good spicy one and it can get out of hand if you get a little heavy with it 🤣

Back