As an Indian I have to say yes. Also, I have to say that my mum makes the best Indian food ever.

Many people probably don't know that the "curry" you get in an Indian restaurant isn't anything like curry in an Indian home. It's more complex, often thin and mixed with other items on rice.

If you want a bit of fun, try eating an Indian meal with just your hands. No utensils.
I feel like that is the case with most ethnic restaurants here. Mexican is definitely that way.

Yes, I love Indian food. Unfortunately, we have to travel 20+ miles for it, so we rarely get it. My oldest has made some curry dishes, though, and that's good.

I also traveled to India in early 2019 for work, so I also got to try some more authentic food. Overall, that's a trip I'll never forget.

Indian food is something I have to be careful with as there are certain oils and spices that make me ill, but we found a place on holiday last year that was very good - the staff there were from Nepal and the food was so full of flavour that we went 2 nights in a row

Onion bhajis were so fresh and crispy, and the dishes that were hot still had the flavour that you could taste rather than being stupid heat that masked the flavours like some places do

I will try to get some pics up later, but we have had a day trip to Edinburgh on the train and went to a place called Mowgli Street Food

It was so good and I can't wait for the new location to open which will be closer to us - a 2hr train journey is too far to make it a regular occurrence lol

Tried the mixed grill (beef, lamb, chicken, fish) at a fairly new Indian place in town. I thought it was excellent and I'll definitely go back to try some other dishes. My friend had the karahi with chicken and she said it was great too.

2024-01-06.jpg

Tried the mixed grill (beef, lamb, chicken, fish) at a fairly new Indian place in town. I thought it was excellent and I'll definitely go back to try some other dishes. My friend had the karahi with chicken and she said it was great too.

View attachment 9238876
I think I spot sheek kebab in there. One of my favourites.

Hopefully the link above works, and here are some pics of the food we had today

1000006498.jpg
This was the Bhel Puri rice dish, which was a cold dish of puffed rice with various spices

1000006499.jpg
Butter chicken at the bottom of the pic and the Mowgli slaw at the top

1000006500.jpg
This sticky chicken was to die for

1000006501.jpg
Lamb chops with turmeric chips - the lamb chops had a lovely charred flavour to them

1000006502.jpg

This was called Monkey wrap which had a nice lime dressing to the chicken

Price was very reasonable for the amount of food we had including a couple drinks

Restroom for one Please...

Big question for the thread, is it Kingfisher or Singha that you prefer with your meal.

I'm a Kingfisher first if it's offered with Singha if not available but will pick an Indian beer I've not tried over a Singha if it's on the list.

Big question for the thread, is it Kingfisher or Singha that you prefer with your meal.

I'm a Kingfisher first if it's offered with Singha if not available but will pick an Indian beer I've not tried over a Singha if it's on the list.
I’m a kingfisher guy for sure

Cashew chicken tonight. I dig it.

I have been making my own cashew paste at home for my dishes, same with garlic/ginger paste, cashews play a huge part in Indian recipes
SO good.

Got to go back to the local Indian restaurant in my hometown, took my step-dad out for dinner.

Last time I was there it was amazing, this time around seems like something has changed, think it may be financial and in the kitchen, portions & serving was smaller & they couldn't spice it right. Makes me sad when that happens.

Neither. Cobra is where it’s at!!!!

I'd like to recommend a glass of rosé with Indian food.

Normally Singha but I think I'll try something else if it's available.

Tried the new Indian/nepalese restaurant just opened.

same issue as all, spice level is asked rather than implied by the dish. Still worth a try of other stuff on the menu, good tandoori choices, plus a nepalese section to try.

Best part, no Kingfisher, no Singha but beers ive not heard of from India including this one.
20240204_183431.jpg

There’s an Indian pizza place around the corner from us. Got a tandoori chicken pizza and some curry waffle fries for dinner. Good stuff! Will be ordering again

Indian in the US is like Thai, or other Asian foods, when you are asked what spice level for the dish then it's wrong.

A vindaloo is a vindaloo, it's not medium or mild, same as a butter chicken should not be hot or medium.

But when you find a chef who will make it how they would eat it, then you are in for a treat, especially if you ask where they're from (the food is incredibly regional and diverse).

I love Ministry of Curry on Facebook for recipes for my instant pot for curry at home.

I suppose this may be because they are smart enough to recognize Americans' propensity for talking a lot of crap! I was in the fine wine business for quite a few years and we had a similar idea. Americans like to talk dry, but drink sweet. Just as they like to talk hot, but eat mild.

A Thai restaurant opened near me and I couldn't wait to try it. They offered 4 spice "levels", so I ordered chicken Pad Thai, medium spice just to see what it was about. It wasn't the least bit hot to me, although the food was satisfactory overall. I'll have to give them another try. I'm a complete novice at Indian food. I took a ride through the neighboring township north of us that has a growing Indian population, and noticed a place being remodeled with a sign announcing a future Indian restaurant. I'll keep my eyes open.

I absolutely heart Indian food. Just had Chicken Kadhai from a place in Reading last night, soooooo good.

Yes!
I was just mentioning that one of my favorite restaurants pre-Covid was a lunch spot near the office. Man, I miss that place.

Pretty sure vindaloo is my current ADHD food 🤣

Back