Shaft colors are an after thought, performance first and foremost.

Nope, can't say that I ever look at the shaft graphics when choosing an iron. All about performance for me.

It's funny, I tend to notice shafts on drivers more than any other club, maybe a little on woods/hybos, but not really at all on irons and especially not wedges.

The look of the stepped shaft doesn't bother me at all, but I like the way a stepless shaft looks over traditional designs. I don't like colors on shafts, and I don't like a ton of graphics. Though one big sticker doesn't bother me (project x, tour issue, etc.). So the best looking shafts to me are UST Recoils, Project X steel, and KBS C-Taper/Lite/90.

BUT, I'll play what performs best for me and after trying all of the above mentioned shafts I found Dynamic Gold shafts to work best at the moment.

Not really no. But that's not saying I don't like one look over another. My current shafts are a silver/grey color which I like a lot. But if i found something that was black or white or whichever color that performed better, I'd have no issue playing it.

Never thought about. I would have to say No. If it works for me, I'll like it.

Not at all. It could be tie dyed and it wouldn't bother me.

Does the look of an iron shaft influence your decision on playing them or wanting to play them?

To me, the key here is the word influence.

Does a shafts look make me pick it over something else if it fits? No.

Does the look of a shaft influence my wanting to try/play it if it offers close performance to what fits me, absolutely.

I've never thought about it. All of them I've ever tried have been your standard chrome. But, I planning on trying graphite shafts for my next set of irons. So, the colors may have an impact when that time comes around.

Not much. But I prefer understated when it comes to iron shaft looks. Leave the flashy paint jobs to driver and fairway shafts :D

I dunno, not really on irons as they all look alike.
I will admit it might somewhat affect me on graphite shafts.
Ultimately it will be for performance though.

As long as it's not a flashy color like pink or bright orange, I don't think it matters to me. I have played irons with colored shafts and I don't remember ever really thinking about it.

If I'm going graphite I just don't want them to look like a nascar.

Absolutely! The looks of a shaft does influence my wanting to play it. I love how the Project X PXi shafts look, and I really like both the Project X and the KBS labels and how they look. I don't like the red on the Nippon modus offerings, and some of the graphite iron shafts are just too busy.

But having said that, I would not play a shaft I liked the looks of, if it didn't also perform for me. So performance is key, but if it looks good while it performs, then all the better.

Not to me. I do prefer the looks of dome shafts over others but the look of the top line and blade length influence me more than anything.

Absolutely! The looks of a shaft does influence my wanting to play it. I love how the Project X PXi shafts look, and I really like both the Project X and the KBS labels and how they look. I don't like the red on the Nippon modus offerings, and some of the graphite iron shafts are just too busy.

But having said that, I would not play a shaft I liked the looks of, if it didn't also perform for me. So performance is key, but if it looks good while it performs, then all the better.

I was beginning to think I was alone.
Like I see those Project X LZ iron shafts and no immediately I want to try them.

I've never played anything other than Dynamic Gold. I'm certainly curious to try others, but I'm not sure if the look would affect me.

I'm sure any change would take some getting used to. How they look might influence me to pick one up earlier than another, but at the end I'm all about numbers & performance.

This time last year I would say no it does not matter, now that I have the black finish from KBS I say yes it matters. I love the way the black looks and I think I would like different colors on all my iron shafts if I could have them.

No, but those KBS tour Whites are pretty cool!

Was going to just say no flat out, but I definitely agree with this. Probably good thing I haven't seen those in person.

As long as it is not crazy bright yellow then no problem here.

I don't think the look influences my decision on whether to play one brand/type or another.

I think the only time the look would come into play, is if for a certain shaft there were multiple finish options. I prefer a look other than the standard chrome, but it does not negatively impact my opinion of the shaft.

It has had no bearing on my shaft selection up to this point. Of course, I haven't really seen any crazy looking iron shafts, either.

Back