Irrational dislike of certain brands

I refuse to swing anything made by Cleveland simply because I'm from Pittsburgh.

Years ago, I learned that Nike was paying Michael Jordan $40 million per year and their Chinese factory workers $1 per day. No, thank you. There are too many other brands of sporting goods.

That are doing the exact same thing :alien:

I refuse to swing anything made by Cleveland simply because I'm from Pittsburgh.

That's funny!!!!

Kind of like someone refusing to swing a Cobra because their nickname is Mongoose.

The Browns sting, don't they. My son took a liking to a mini Steelers helmet. I swear to God there must be something with that helmet because even I liked it as a little kid. Well, after I explained to him the Steelers really do steal and cheat he came to his senses.

Kinda funny, many many years ago when I first saw Cleveland clubs I thought to myself, "Golf clubs made in Cleveland? Forget that."

Scotty Cameron and Titleist, personally i HATED titleist but the 910 kind of changed my mind, i dont hate them as much now lol. Scottys i do hate with a passion though, its like a cult following and i just dont get why, not that good IMO

dang that's twice in this thread that my gear has been bashed...First Ping for being ugly and now Scotty for being hyped? What next????

dang that's twice in this thread that my gear has been bashed...First Ping for being ugly and now Scotty for being hyped? What next????

Those Datrex bags are among the crappiest things ever stitched together. :clown:

edit: Oh, and Footjoys give me blisters.

Those Datrex bags are among the crappiest things ever stitched together. :clown:

edit: Oh, and Footjoys give me blisters.

You are an evil person !

I use Tapatalk.

You are an evil person !

I use Tapatalk.

Adams is for old people and Taylormade is.... nevermind, I got nothin...

Nickent: sounds like a nicotine gum

Pinnacle and Top Flite: Simply because the product performs in stark contrast to the brand name

Lynx: Wow, they still make this stuff?

Powerbilit: Same as Lynx comment

I was pretty anti-TM when I came back to golf about a year ago. I was doing research trying to figure out equipment and the sheer amount of product in their line, plus their advertising in general, really turned me off to the brand. Good thing I hit them though because my bag would not be complete without them. My DCT is even being replaced tomorrow with another Superfast if the fedex guy can find my house.

With that said I have a pretty big aversion to Nike clubs. I have hit them in bays and my experience matched my intuition; although the former may be a bi-product of the latter. Their balls on the other hand..... It is pretty hard to beat the one tour and one tour d.

Definitely anything Taylormade

Im goin with the game of golf, period. lol

honestly though it doesnt really matter to me as long as i can score with it

I won't play Titeleist anything, just don't like the brand mostly because of "that guy" that shows up with his bag full of t***y gear and refuses to think that anything else can be as good. Im sure they make good clubs though.

I am with CB! In fact we were in the middle of this conversation when we both realized that we were about to miss our flights home. I just replaced a bag full of Titleist irons and wedges, that I bought used over 10 years ago. My reasoning for my dislike of Titleist is I totally disagree with what I perceive to be their business model, which IMO is "screw the average Joe golfer (aka me), we are just going to focus on pros and then everyone will buy our stuff because the pros play it". That thought process is evident in the fact that they don't send any of their stuff down for demo day and they don't send anything out for review by the average golfer (Golf Digest Hot List doesn't count because every year it become increasingly clear that a good review is directly correlated to advertising money spent). So the SC that I have in my bag is about to be replaced and I very much doubt if anything Titleist finds it way back in.

One disclaimer, I do like the Titleist Pro Mesh hats. they just fit my head so well :)

callaway- i dont know why just dont like them

ping- because they are the worst sticklers for price, and god forbid u offer a discount on something from them

Have you tracked current prices? They are all over priced if you ask me.

I am with CB! In fact we were in the middle of this conversation when we both realized that we were about to miss our flights home. I just replaced a bag full of Titleist irons and wedges, that I bought used over 10 years ago. My reasoning for my dislike of Titleist is I totally disagree with what I perceive to be their business model, which IMO is "screw the average Joe golfer (aka me), we are just going to focus on pros and then everyone will buy our stuff because the pros play it". That thought process is evident in the fact that they don't send any of their stuff down for demo day and they don't send anything out for review by the average golfer (Golf Digest Hot List doesn't count because every year it become increasingly clear that a good review is directly correlated to advertising money spent). So the SC that I have in my bag is about to be replaced and I very much doubt if anything Titleist finds it way back in.

One disclaimer, I do like the Titleist Pro Mesh hats. they just fit my head so well :)

So is it impossible then that a company can spend spend a lot of dollars on advertising and make a quality product?

Callaway - one reason only....Mickelson.

So is it impossible then that a company can spend spend a lot of dollars on advertising and make a quality product?

Not at all, look at TaylorMade !)

Disclaimer I am a TaylorMade homer! :D

Let me clarify my position which is funny because this is the Irrational dislike thread and my dislike is pretty rational. I disapprove not of the Titleist products, I believe they make fine products, but of their current business model. They have shown their antiquated ideas by ignoring forums like THP and instead focusing only on Tour pros. Contrast this with Bridgestone (with their ball fitting), TaylorMade (sponsoring the Morgan Cup, and being freaking awesome at it if you talk to any of the MC guys), Callaway (also a MC sponsor), SeeMore, and the list goes on and on. Which company was obviously missing from the hundreds of companies represented at the Demo Day? Does anyone think that with the current business philosophy of Titleist that they would have ever stepped up to sponsor participants in the MC? Not me! And so I choose to spend my money elsewhere!

Definately Callaway.... It all started back 8-10 years ago i think. I was looking at my local golf club magazine and it featured the Callaway Big Bertha Hawkeye Driver with VFT Technology. Omigosh! I kept bugging my dad to get it ... but he just said 'Well son, you know you shouldn't buy Callaway cause you'll get CarriedAway'.... That put me off LOL .... Soon after perhaps a few years later he bought a Taylormade R580XD... Sworn by the brand 'Taylormade' eversince... Now my whole bad is Taylormade except my Srixon W403 AD 3 Wood. And the recent taunt by Callaway's Razr Hawk ad to Taylormade just makes me hate them even more...other than that I'm anti-Titliest too...for no obvious reasons

My most hated brand is below:

GEL: The most feel-less putter I've ever used.
Honma after being bought by China: the clubs made are bad looking and feel sucks.
Callaway: It used to make so much great clubs but it keeps disappointing me now.
PING's irons: they look weird, feels bad and look every easy to snap.
PING's Wood except the i15: They look weird!

Nike: Initially not fond of, but started to like it after trying the method putter (The brand started to show some effort in producing golf clubs) and VR Tour Driver (This is the best driver Nike ever made, better than the Taylormades. I tried it, it kills!)

Last edited:
Let me clarify my position which is funny because this is the Irrational dislike thread and my dislike is pretty rational. I disapprove not of the Titleist products, I believe they make fine products, but of their current business model. They have shown their antiquated ideas by ignoring forums like THP and instead focusing only on Tour pros. Contrast this with Bridgestone (with their ball fitting), TaylorMade (sponsoring the Morgan Cup, and being freaking awesome at it if you talk to any of the MC guys), Callaway (also a MC sponsor), SeeMore, and the list goes on and on. Which company was obviously missing from the hundreds of companies represented at the Demo Day? Does anyone think that with the current business philosophy of Titleist that they would have ever stepped up to sponsor participants in the MC? Not me! And so I choose to spend my money elsewhere!

That is a great post DT. I have to admit I am baffled by their business model. It's regular hacks like us that buy their equipment and yet they pretty much ignore us and go after the touring pro who they give products to. I actually really like their products but the marketing department needs to be fired. Maybe this is why it is now the Fila 910 D2 that I play

Nike, when I was 16 with my first paycheck I bought a pair of Nike shoes, they fell apart in 3 weeks. I bought a 2nd pair same thing. Have never bought anything with a Nike Logo again.

I have to agree with your thoughts about Titleist. Always caught my attention that they have stayed away from the game improvement type clubs for the most part even though the mass of golfers worldwide is mid to high handicappers. This along with the Cameron thing is enough to really turn me off to the brand. I honestly don't even know anyone playing Titleist clubs outside of a single club or two and balls as none of the courses in my area are dealers.

I don't really like Titleist because they're so much pricier than other brands. That said, they charge what the market bears and if their following is willing to pay up then more power to them.

Its not so much titleist clubs because I havent really used any of them, its more the ProV1s and how everyone who uses them thinks everything else is junk.

Back