Is This a Hole In One?

if the putt is on the low side and JUST nicks the raised cup, it probably wouldn't have dropped, so do you count that?
Same with the putt that nicks the side and goes by ever how many feet. Or its it square and ends up ever how many feet away where it is evident a putt wouldn't likely have fallen.

I think the temporary rules are fine for s***s and giggles but I wouldn't record a score for cap purposes.

Leaning 'no' on the "hole-in-one", but if it's touching the exposed cup, then it has to go down as a 1 on the card.

If courses are going to raise the cups, they need to put a Pelz-ish 18" circle around it. If your ball bounces off and rolls outside that circle, it doesn't count as a 'holed' shot.

No and it isn’t close, IMO.

I have a similar question about courses that use larger than normal holes because they have temporary greens. Is that a HIO?

1585156642089.jpeg
what my home course is doing

If courses are going to raise the cups, they need to put a Pelz-ish 18" circle around it. If your ball bounces off and rolls outside that circle, it doesn't count as a 'holed' shot.
Bingo.

How you making a putt then?
I’m in the I can’t confirm if it would have dropped camp, my eye sight isn’t good enough to see it how it hit the cup. I guess you take your 2 and move on... Brutal break.

Yes, that is a hole in one if it is resting on it. If it bounced off, I see the no logic but if it is resting on the hole, absolutely. I will fight all takers.

I'd be angry as hell, but unfortunately would say no.

you also can’t guarantee putts/chip shots would have dropped, but with the new temporary ruling all shots hitting the exposed cup are considered to be made.
Again though, you can easily tell if those at least hit first. If it’s resting against it, it means that it would have had to stop perfectly right there, or else the rubber ball hitting plastic would have absolutely hit at least a little bit away, bringing doubt into it.

It wouldn't count for our HIO club or in our group that's for sure

but if the ball did hit the cup, then it’s scored as a one.

I disagree with this. If all it takes to get a hole in one is hitting the cup, I'd have a lot of them. And my tally stands at zero.

And am I missing something? Everyone keeps talking about 'it' (the ball) resting against the cup? Is this a theoretical 'it', because I clearly see daylight between the ball and the raised cup in the OP picture. Unless there's some kind of illusion throwing off my vision.

No sir!

I disagree with this. If all it takes to get a hole in one is hitting the cup, I'd have a lot of them. And my tally stands at zero.

And am I missing something? Everyone keeps talking about 'it' (the ball) resting against the cup? Is this a theoretical 'it', because I clearly see daylight between the ball and the raised cup in the OP picture. Unless there's some kind of illusion throwing off my vision.
The photo appears that way but the text says it is against the raised cup. I see your point - assuming the text is correct, does your answer change?

Last edited:
The photo appears that way but the text says it is against the raised cup. I see your point - assuming the text is correct, does your answer change?
No. It wouldn't. If there was video evidence of its approach to that point I'd give it to them in spirit, but I wouldn't even give it to someone if it was resting inside the cup. It could have entered because it's above ground on the back side. Could have acted like a backboard. Impossible to know. I basically view it as outside the rules to begin with, and thus invalidating any achievement like that. Casual golf rules, fine, but not on the record type stuff. Even local rules for scoring on something like that I'm now down with. "Hitting the cup is considered holed"? If that's the case I'll just run over and claim my new club record this afternoon, thank you very much.

I love anything that's getting people out golfing right now. I just don't think a lot of the scoring is valid while things are altered like that. I know I wouldn't feel like they are, and claiming them as such would be a big no-no for the rigorous honesty thing I try to live by. That's just me. If someone would want to claim it for themselves, that's their choice.

Last edited:
Right now a number of courses have raised cups. You get to the par 3 and hit a perfect shot. Lands right in front of the pin and comes to rest against that raised cup.

Is it a hole in one?

View attachment 8933621
I'll tell you what this is..

This is my nightmare :ROFLMAO:

No. It wouldn't. If there was video evidence of its approach to that point I'd give it to them in spirit, but I wouldn't even give it to someone if it was resting inside the cup. It could have entered because it's above ground on the back side. Could have acted like a backboard. Impossible to know. I basically view it as outside the rules to begin with, and thus invalidating any achievement like that. Casual golf rules, fine, but not on the record type stuff. Even local rules for scoring on something like that I'm now down with. "Hitting the cup is considered holed"? If that's the case I'll just run over and claim my new club record this afternoon, thank you very much.

I love anything that's getting people out golfing right now. I just don't think a lot of the scoring is valid while things are altered like that. I know I wouldn't feel like they are, and claiming them as such would be a big no-no for the rigorous honesty thing I try to live by.
I encourage you to go set the club record if raised cups is all that it takes. and there is no way the cup could be resting against the cup and the cup have been a backboard. If it had speed, it would bounce off and not be resting up against.

I couldn’t disagree more with your opinion but that’s the joy of the discussion

If the ball is touching the inverted cup, I'm chalking it up as a 1 and I don't care what anyone else says. That's an HIO to me, today, if I were playing under COVID-19 rules.

Its what was written in the first post.
How would you ever get passed the first hole if hitting the cup doesn't hole the ball in this scenario?

I encourage you to go set the club record if raised cups is all that it takes. and there is no way the cup could be resting against the cup and the cup have been a backboard. If it had speed, it would bounce off and not be resting up against.

I couldn’t disagree more with your opinion but that’s the joy of the discussion

Have you ever played with the winter pins that have a metal base the size of the cup and spike down into the ground, instead of an actual cup cut in? It's basically the same thing as a raised cup, and we play them as you just have to contact the metal base. You hear the 'ting' and you're good. My wife can 2-putt every hole like that. You take away speed considerations and putting is strokes easier. Strokes. I can show you my winter putting stats under those rules. You give me those strokes in an actual posting round, and I'd have it. I'm not trying to be arrogant. It probably reads that way, but pinging the cup versus coming to rest in it makes a huge difference imo.

I say that about the cup being above ground because I hit low on the pin twice last year where is ran down and beat the edge of the cup cut (the dirt) and didn't go in. Raise that cup up on either one and they may have holed. No way to know. No way to know that one resting in it with it raised would have gone in with it cut normally either. No way to know is a no go for me is all.

Its what was written in the first post.
How would you ever get passed the first hole if hitting the cup doesn't hole the ball in this scenario?

By just playing a fun casual round. I'm just saying I'd score it as a practice round, just like in the offseason when the cups aren't cut out. Doesn't make it less valid among friends/competitors.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I was just talking to our Head Pro about this. In my mind the ball unfortunately doen't rest below the hole so it doesn't count. You have no idea if it would hit the pin too hard and bounce out, lip out, etc. if it were set up normally. It would suck but this is a jacked up year, that's just how it is.

I was just talking to our Head Pro about this. In my mind the ball unfortunately doen't rest below the hole so it doesn't count. You have no idea if it would hit the pin too hard and bounce out, lip out, etc. if it were set up normally. It would suck but this is a jacked up year, that's just how it is.

Kind of feeling the same way. As much as it could have gone in, there is no guarantee that it would have gone in and stayed in. I am ok with writing down a 1 but going to be hard in this climate to claim it as a HIO.

I guess I am going in the no camp, while brutal I just couldn't count it.

Back