"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

Based on new technological advances, the stronger lofts are needed, and I support it. There is so much more to the iron than just loft that is impacting the launch angle and trajectory, it's important to understand the entire picture. A lot of golfing consumers just compare 7i to 7i without knowing all the reasons their new 7i is 2 degrees stronger than their previous set bought 10 years ago.

All that matters to me is when I am at a distance I know exactly which club I need to pull since my entire bag is gapped properly. My old set the 170 yard was a 6i, now it's a 7i. It can be partly due to the loft, a new iron with a fresher and hotter face, better ball striking ability by myself over the course of the year, the fact that I am stronger physically than I was a year ago, and probably a combination of all of those things.

I'll just laugh when my opponent, who normally hits a club less than me, proceeds to leave his 8i tee shot on a par 3 short, because he saw me land my 7i center of the green. He'll be confused, but if he knew the bigger picture, he'll realize he needs to pull 7i next time.

so the numbers (or letters) don't mean anything on the course other than to quickly differentiate. so the number exists for marketing purposes - because distance sells (and will continue to do so), and the point of making clubs is to sell them ???

I like what Hogan did (Cleveland as well) with their stamping, it's too bad that hasn't really caught on

Again, if loft is what matters, why do all 22 degree clubs not go the same distance?
It seems pretty easy that if everything else is marketing, they would.

Again, if loft is what matters, why do all 22 degree clubs not go the same distance?

Bingo

We still have the old lofts in the bag though, they just have different numbers on them right?
lol, contrary to beliefs they didn’t just swap the numbers on the soles of the lofts.

Stop talking realities JB! No pizza for you!

Stop talking realities JB! No pizza for you!

I think its fair to have a constructive conversation. As @vgolfman said in our video a few years back, there are some companies that have just lowered lofts. Its okay and for golfers that generate a lot of spin, it can work (see Ping Power Spec). Then there are companies that have HAD to lower loft because without doing so, golfers would hit themselves in the head, the ball launches so quickly (see Epic Forged).

Lofts are massaged, see the latest Mavrik iron, where some are not nearly as strong lofted as people expected, because they needed to hit a window.

The good news is no matter what, if someone doesn't like it, there are sets that exist or bend the **** out of one.

Where do you stand on this in 2020?

Necessary for tech that we are seeing?
Excuse to make people think they hit the ball far?
A fad that will go away?

Give some strong reasoning on how you feel, and what matters to you.
Honestly I can care less. What matters to me is how they play.

I think its fair to have a constructive conversation. As @vgolfman said in our video a few years back, there are some companies that have just lowered lofts. Its okay and for golfers that generate a lot of spin, it can work (see Ping Power Spec). Then there are companies that have HAD to lower loft because without doing so, golfers would hit themselves in the head, the ball launches so quickly (see Epic Forged).

Lofts are massaged, see the latest Mavrik iron, where some are not nearly as strong lofted as people expected, because they needed to hit a window.

The good news is no matter what, if someone doesn't like it, there are sets that exist or bend the **** out of one.
For sure. And I’m still amazed PING didn’t get lambasted for that like others would have and do.

Hell, bend until it breaks, it’s fun.:p

I'm late to this and haven't read any other replies yet, but here goes my unpopular opinion.

I think the truth is in the middle. Not for a second do I believe it's ALL about launch, or about descent angle, or about any other single metric. I also dont think its ALL about tricking golfers into thinking they hit the ball further than they do...there is some legitimacy to lower CGs pushing launch up.
However I think it's more that the lower CG allows OEMs to strengthen lofts, rather than make it necessary like we've been told.

If it was all about making golf easier, they wouldnt be lengthening shafts simultaneously. If it was all about now being able to hit an 8i instead of a 7i, then why are OEMs hung up on selling 4-PW still? 6-GW sets should be the norm.

Where do you stand on this in 2020?

Necessary for tech that we are seeing?
Excuse to make people think they hit the ball far?
A fad that will go away?

Give some strong reasoning on how you feel, and what matters to you.
Different year, same story.

The get off my grass crowd never believes it’s anything other than a marketing scheme.

It is curiously convenient that OEMs focus their marketing narratives on extra distance when their explanation for the lofts is about technological necessity.

The masses don’t care about the issue, they are just happy to still hit a 7i the same distance (or more) than they did 20 years ago.

they don't, and neither do all clubs with a 5 or 7 or 9 or G or 4, which the makes the whole "I'm hitting a 7 here" a pointless exercise

they don't, and neither do all clubs with a 5 or 7 or 9 or G or 4, which the makes the whole "I'm hitting a 7 here" a pointless exercise

But that has little to do with "jacking" of lofts, right?
FWIW, lets take the same club (a 7 iron) and you and I both hit it. We aren't going to hit it the same distance. Does that mean only one of us is hitting a 7 iron?

I don't mind having the strong lofts. The issue for me would be if I begin to have difficulty hitting a 6i or higher. I have always thought 3-5i was more difficult to hit, so most times I am using a hybrid. I do use a 5i more now with my OL F9 irons. Something that would not have happened a year ago. If the new technology can give me a 27 degree 7i with the correct spin and launch, while still giving me the extra distance I am all for it.

For many, I think it would be like how a girl wears a size. I never understood why women sizes don't jack them up the opposite way. So, a size 8 is really a 10 and a size 6 is an 8. I know many women would buy just based on the lower size. In golf, I think many people buy based on how far they can hit. Therefore, when grabbing a new strong lofted 7i and hitting it 10 or more yards farther than their current club they love it and buy it.

The only loft I pay attention to is my gap wedge so I know what I need for other wedges. IE, 919 is 51, older JPX850 is 49 so I'll replace my 53° wedge.

But that has little to do with "jacking" of lofts, right?
FWIW, lets take the same club (a 7 iron) and you and I both hit it. We aren't going to hit it the same distance. Does that mean only one of us is hitting a 7 iron?
we would have both hit a 7, however both clubs might different in design, swings might be different, results might be different

What I would consider a "jacked" loft would be strengthening a loft and adding club length, for no other reason than to eke out a few more yards of distance at the expense of launch/spin/control. Modern club design with CGs pushed lower and lower necessitates a stronger loft to create the desired launch, although I do believe there is a point of diminishing returns.

I said it then and I stand by it now. Trial and fitting are important to finding what’s right for you, NOT some numbers on an internet spec page.

I said it then and I stand by it now. Trial and fitting are important to finding what’s right for you, NOT some numbers on an internet spec page.
Well stated, as always!

Always dropping the knowledge. ?

This is very well stated. This should be my stock answer to this

I could care less about jacked or non jacked lofts. If one company says their 5 iron hits the ball farther than another company's 5 iron, I still don't care.
All I care about is performance of the club in my hand. Does it hit the ball the distance, direction and have the amount of spin I want ? That is what is important to me.

I could care less about the lofts on the clubs. I just want to know what club to hit from what distance. The number on the sole of the club just makes the thought process quicker.

This is very well stated. This should be my stock answer to this

The issue for me was during a fitting.

Fitter states " Look, you gained X multiple of 10 Yards with these new High Tech Players Irons "

Yet when I asked about the lofts, the fitter adamantly states that lofts are no longer a valuable part of the Iron fitting process.

When I insist, and compare irons of same lofts....

The X 10 Distance gains magically disappear. All the technology and weight distribution has improved ball speeds throughout the club face. On Drivers and Irons. But it doesn't increase the ball height, trajectory, flight window or total or carry Distance on irons in my hands. With my flawed swing.

I am sure that I am not alone.

Which is why a minority of Golfers ask about lofts. It helps us compare Clubs year to year, from Different OEM'S and based on different styles.

Not to be confrontational or controversial, just to be able to compare Apples to Apples.

I have a set of Muscles Backs that I hit Longer than the distance enhanced SGI clubs.

It's not the OEM'S FAULT. Period.

And fitters should stop trying to sell clubs based on Distance. When in reality Dispersion rules your ability to post low scores.

Again. Everyone please use the clubs that best meet your needs, swing and abilities.

If I hit a 3 iron or a Pitching wedge, who cares. I only care if the ball lands and spot on the green. Hopefully, tap in Distance to the cup. :geek::Puma:

I'm all for Jacked Lofts.

My only question is the people who say "It doesn't matter if it says 5 or 7 on the stamping, it's the loft that you should focus on."

Doesn't that also mean different shaft length? I'm certain I hit my 7i better than my 5i. So if I can get 5i distances with my 7i in a 7i shaft length, that's fantastic.

As far as I'm concerned jacking lofts is making the game easier for amateurs, why is that a problem?

To me the jacked lofts really don't make much of a difference. I think that marketing and the tech of the club goes hand in hand when the club is designed. For me, I find what club that I hit 150 and get my gapping based around that number.

Back