Jordan Spieth DQ’D

Yikes, that's a bummer. Expensive mistake.

How much of this is on the scoring player with him. As insert and it they exchange cards and keep each others costes then math not to what they have correct?

Unless I’m missing something it’s pure laziness

How does this even happen?

You verify what he marked you down for and sign it, right? It’s not rocket surgery

I understand keeping score in local tournaments and such where you don’t have score being kept for you and need multiple confirmation signatures but you literally have it being kept live on a board. FFS. Get rid of the stupid rule.

How does this even happen?

You verify what he marked you down for and sign it, right? It’s not rocket surgery
This also. Don’t players go through scores to confirm from their foursomes? Most tournaments I’ve played in have.

Stupid rule in this day and age, regardless of who it is get penalized.
Agree, but checking a card is not hard and they are supposed to do it.

Thing is, it is easy to go thru and check a score card with a nonchalant mindset if things didn’t go as planned. It is probably the biggest reason why guys get DQ’d for scorecard issues.

Change the rule. The tournament is worse off without Spieth in it. Assess a penalty, but DQ is too much.

How this happens in this day and age is mind boggling.

Rule is a rule but this rule has to go
I agree. Perhaps a two-stroke penalty would be more fitting. They are tracking every stroke and distance of every player at tournaments, so it is not like he was trying to cheat.

Don't the pros keep a "scratch card" of some sort with their own score in addition to keeping their opponent's score, so they can refer back to it and resolve errors before they sign and submit?

It's a stupid and archaic rule, no question (and no surprise there), but it's an unforced error on Spieth's part too.

Arrested Development Gob Bluth GIF

Its ridiculous. They can tell the player how many rpm's his ball is spinning at but they cant tell him his score.

I applaud this. Spieth is a big name guy and got bounced. I agree there are better ways to keep score but it is really simple to follow this rule.

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

Danny Brown Laughing GIF by DANNY'S HOUSE

I think it’s funny they even have to keep their own scores on the tour. It seems like it would be automated by now.

Change the rule. The tournament is worse off without Spieth in it. Assess a penalty, but DQ is too much.
Agreed Way to harsh of a punishment

Agreed Way to harsh of a punishment
Rules are the rules, and this one has always been the same. He isnt the first, won’t be the last.

Hell I’ve seen HS kids DQ’d for it.

When you think about it, it's a good way to get your opponent DQ'ed. Write down a wrong score on one hole and hope he doesn't catch it before signing - if he does catch it, claim it was an accident, no punishment to you.

No idea where he stood in the tournament but what a crappy way to lose a marquee player for the weekend.

Back