Jordan Spieth DQ’D

But they KNOW the rule, it’s never changed, this isn’t some surprise hidden thing, it’s one of the most basic things ever. Make sure you sign a correct card. Simple.
Just because a rule is simple does not mean it is correct. Change the rule. They got this one right because it is the current rule, but it should be changed.

Just because a rule is simple does not mean it is correct. Change the rule. They got this one right because it is the current rule, but it should be changed.
Why though? It’s been the same way FOREVER and there are far better things for them to address and fix.

This isn’t some tricky thing, hell, I taught high schoolers to sign correct cards or they get DQ’d.

Not a problem with the rules ,
or a scorecard ….

Problem is , …. be topical as Tay Tay is playing Melbourne …

“ lts me ,Hi , l am the problem it’s me “

Know what you scored , mark it down ,
Not caddies fault
Not scores fault
Speiths fault
Except that pros don't mark their own scores. Your opponent/fellow competitor marks your scorecard and you mark his. It's your responsibility after the round, when your opponent/fellow competitor gives you your scorecard, to ensure that your scorecard is correct before you sign it and turn it in.

Why though? It’s been the same way FOREVER and there are far better things for them to address and fix.

This isn’t some tricky thing, hell, I taught high schoolers to sign correct cards or they get DQ’d.
It is embarrassing for the Tour not to keep the scores. You don’t have Mahomes and Purdy signing a card after the game to tell people what the score was.

Except that pros don't mark their own scores. Your opponent/fellow competitor marks your scorecard and you mark his.
And the player checks that post round with the score they also kept of their own. In the end, it’s a bummer for Jordan fans, but he messed up.

It is embarrassing for the Tour not to keep the scores. You don’t have Mahomes and Purdy signing a card after the game to tell people what the score was.
Because football isn’t golf, and football hasn’t had this same rule for decades. 🤣

Because football isn’t golf, and football hasn’t had this same rule for decades. 🤣
Rules can change. Some rules should change. This is one.

Rules can change. Some rules should change. This is one.
Same old story with golf...

Fiddler On The Roof Broadway GIF by GREAT PERFORMANCES | PBS

Same old story with golf...

Fiddler On The Roof Broadway GIF by GREAT PERFORMANCES | PBS
Oh, I’m as anti tradition as they come on this forum, I’ve proven that, but the outrage over this is funny to me because he ****** up, and I’m sure he knows it.

If those two were playing golf they would. Not sure how one score in a football game compares to 70 different scores going on in a golf tourney.

We don’t have to agree. My opinion is simple. The tour doesn’t need to be DQ’ing its stars over something that is preventable. Keep their scores. Have officials watching the groups to prevent “mistakes”

Times change. Do whatever you like in High School, College, Beer leagues, etc. but don’t let your professional stars make stupid mistakes and get kicked out of televised tournaments.

I am not a big Spieth fan. I was watching the tournament because I wanted to see Tiger.

I am not saying that Spieth should not have been DQ’d today. I am saying I don’t think anyone should going forward. Just keep their scores and let them play.

We don’t have to agree. My opinion is simple. The tour doesn’t need to be DQ’ing its stars over something that is preventable. Keep their scores. Have officials watching the groups to prevent “mistakes”

Times change. Do whatever you like in High School, College, Beer leagues, etc. but don’t let your professional stars make stupid mistakes and get kicked out of televised tournaments.

I am not a big Spieth fan. I was watching the tournament because I wanted to see Tiger.

I am not saying that Spieth should not have been DQ’d today. I am saying I don’t think anyone should going forward. Just keep their scores and let them play.
I mean at least tag me 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Never said we had to agree, but it’s still ok to converse about it. 🤷

100% all that. It's an archaic relic of a past era, and there are plenty of modern alternatives. It's foolish (but so on brand) for golf to continue ignoring them.

This has to be the dumbest thing ever, both ways! On the player for not double checking everything AND on the tour for making players keep their own card anymore. There should be an official scorer walking with every group.

100% all that. It's an archaic relic of a past era, and there are plenty of modern alternatives. It's foolish (but so on brand) for golf to continue ignoring them.
Go easy on the traditions please 👍

I’m not really a Spieth fan. I would be fine with them doing away with score cards all together at the tour level. The whole world can go onto ESPN amd see a players hole by hole score. Them tracking it on their own adds nothing, in this day and age, IMO. It’s 1 of about 500 rules that could be removed, changed, etc lol.

I mean at least tag me 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Never said we had to agree, but it’s still ok to converse about it. 🤷
I have enjoyed the conversation. I am not saying you are wrong. He should have been DQ’d today. I just think the tour needs to think about these things going forward.

They don’t necessarily need to change the “rules of golf” but the PGA is a business and they need to have their stars playing Sat/Sun.

If a star isn’t playing well and misses the cut: I am all in. I don’t want stars going home early when they are playing well. This goes with improper drops and other errors by players.

The tour has the tech and can have officials with every group to prevent silly mistakes that send people home when it is not the result of their actual play.

As far as agreeing, it was not directed at you. There are others that disagree with me and I love that we can have different opinions. But that is why I didn’t tag “you” 😉

Except that pros don't mark their own scores. Your opponent/fellow competitor marks your scorecard and you mark his. It's your responsibility after the round, when your opponent/fellow competitor gives you your scorecard, to ensure that your scorecard is correct before you sign it and turn it in.
Yes … sign it that the score card …. Is correct …. That’s called responsibility , also responsibility to know your score and the rules …..

I have a real hard time understanding how it can happen if its not a willful act.

So is this cheating or are we chalking this up to an innocent mistake? My personal take would be all of these types of instances are simple mistakes, but when it comes to public opinion it seems like it depends on who the player is.
I dont know any good player who at any point in the round cant tell you where he stands in relation to par.
Hell, I can recount to you every stroke I took the day after the round. Sure you take it all out of short term memory during the round, but it gets uploaded when its time to tally up........

I don’t have a problem “ with traditions “ for without it you wouldn’t be able to compare previous performances … because you lived so far no from what was the original …..

Let’s no make it 18 let’s round it off to 20 or 15 holes ….
Oooh let’s remove hazards cause they an impact scoring …
Widen the hole , make it easier to putt , yes can do …

What can’t we leave the rules as they are, instead of altering it because a result we didn’t like to a player we may or may not like or to ourselves?

Oooh l missed Speith ,….

Tiger didn’t make the cut …. Let’s remove the cut so he can play ????

I laugh at the outrage …. Change he the rule ? Why because it been transgressed ? Oh there’s electronic scoring …..
Looking for solution where a problem never existed …

Every other starter managed to navigated there own scoring without difficulty

It’s not that difficult to understand …….

Back