Kraft Nabisco Championship [Spoilers] + Contest Update

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The ladies 1st major of the year kicks off this week and to celebrate that, as we do all majors for men and women, THP will have a contest announcement today. We will also be interviewing Suzann Petterson tonight for this event. Stay tuned for the contest announcement shortly after 12pm EST because there will only be a few days to enter.

this will be exciting! i'm looking forward to this interview a lot. i wanted to come up with some questions for suzann but i kept getting nervous, stuttering in my mind, she had me rattled!

• Admin
Morning all - Spouse and I are headded to this one on Wed. Spouse will be following Lorena (as usual). I'm undecided at the moment. I've got too many favorites! Anyway, if anyone else is headded to the event, give me a shout and we can meet up. Otherwise, if anyone has any questions, or wants me to be on the lookout for anything or anybody, just let me know.

As usual, I'll try to present the usual "Skort Report". :D

Hi All - Here's a quick Wed report -

We arrived at Mission Hills at 11am. BTW - this year, they're calling the event, a "Major Tee Party" :D We quickly checked out the players on the driving range. So fun to talk with Grace, Meg, Pat H, to name a few. Sakura Yokomine has got to have the longest backswing that we've ever seen at a pro event! We saw Beth and then Judy R. madly scooting about in a cart. Oh gosh, not a skort in site - a little chilly for them. Good to see some of our favorite caddies back at work, too.

After a bit, we moved along to catch some of the pro/am play. Play is conducted on both the Dinah and the Palmer courses, so after checking the pairings, we caught up with Lorena and her 3 ams on the par 4 16th. Ha - Spouse and I shook hands with her prior to her tee shot. So nice. She made a beauty of a drive, then placed her 2nd shot to within 3 feet of the hole and made the putt for a birdie. Sweet. She easily parred the par 3 17th and the par 5 18th.

We took time out for a bite and had grilled "fish burgers" which were comprised of seasoned, sauced halibut with fries and a small salad. Yum. We then slowly made our way back to the car, but not without a few more player encounters - including team Wie - Mom, Dad, and Michelle (dressed all in black), then Mrs. Granada and Julieta, a chatty Janice Moodie, and a smiling Jiyai Shin.

I see the pairings are up for Thursday - Think there might be a crowd following 12:08 tee time for Juli and Lorena? Oy - who made that decision?

Great report, Ricey. You always make it seem like we're there with you (and spouse, who is a really great guy).

• Admin
DOnt forget LPGA Fans, entries for the contest must be turned in tonight!

Rah Roh!

Kraft Nabisco: 3 DQ'd for missing pro-am times
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Comments (1) RANCHO MIRAGE, CALIF. --- Not only is the Kraft Nabisco Championship a major with a pro-am -- as are all the LPGA majors except the U.S. Women's Open -- it is a major with two pro-ams. As if that doesn't annoy players enough, the normal buzz on the range at Mission Hills escalated to a barely contained roar Wednesday morning when three players were disqualified for pro-am violations. Past KNC champion Helen Alfredsson, Maria Hjorth and Shanshan Feng were sent packing for missing their pro-am tee times.

Alfredsson and Hjorth were both alternates and were not on the tee on time to serve as fill-ins for players who withdrew. Feng was scheduled to be in the pro-am and joined her group after it teed off but was told she was outside the five-minute grace period window. Alfredsson was on site and eating breakfast when she found out she was needed, hurried to join her group on the second hole but was told she was also too late.

All three appealed their case.

-- Ron Sirak

Wow - I had seen the commish on the phone at the 18th tee box, and I could hear him say something about DQs, but wow - what a shame!

Yikes! Sounds like a miscommunication, at least for Alfredsson and Hjorth. If they weren't informed in a reasonable time to make the Pro-Am, it would be a shame for them to suffer the consequences.

Looking forward to watching some of this.

Can an American win it?

Looking forward to watching some of this.

Can an American win it?

I'm noticing a trend here. While I wouldn't mind someone to be able to give their post round interview in English, the LPGA is not requiring it. American pride is one thing, but that kind of attitude is bordering on the "B" word since you are continually bringing it up. If the winner doesn't speak English, she doesn't speak English.

I'm noticing a trend here. While I wouldn't mind someone to be able to give their post round interview in English, the LPGA is not requiring it. American pride is one thing, but that kind of attitude is bordering on the "B" word since you are continually bringing it up. If the winner doesn't speak English, she doesn't speak English.

I'm confused.

How and why did this turn into a language thing? Or taking the tone that I'm prejudice?

I admit, it's a mocking kind of question, but look at the leaderboards of an LPGA event.

Where are our talented women?

Ummm an American won it last year.

I know. It was nice to see.

One of six American wins on the tour last year.

A whopping 20% win percentage.

I know. It was nice to see.

One of six American wins on the tour last year.

A whopping 20% win percentage.

I've noticed this is a favorite topic of yours in the LPGA threads. What type of response are you looking for, Junior?

Kevin

Yikes! Sounds like a miscommunication, at least for Alfredsson and Hjorth. If they weren't informed in a reasonable time to make the Pro-Am, it would be a shame for them to suffer the consequences.

Claire, I agree, and you have to wonder what happened here? Are the alternates supposed to be at the tee waiting in case they are needed or like you said, was Helen not given enough time? Since they are all appealing it will be interesting to find out how this one goes. Not a very good start to the tournament though for those ladies.

Can't wait for this one to get started!

I've noticed this is a favorite topic of yours in the LPGA threads. What type of response are you looking for, Junior?

Kevin

Curious as to what folks think about who's winning the ladies tournaments, and the current state of the game here in America for the women.

Apparently, many either don't care, or don't want to acknowledge it. :confused2:

Curious as to what folks think about who's winning the ladies tournaments, and the current state of the game here in America for the women.

What's your opinion on the state of the game in America for women? Perhaps you should express your grave concerns, instead of asking offhand questions in a way that belittle women golfers no matter their nationality. But maybe that's the point, right Junior? I've noticed that's your MO. There's at least a little condescension in most of your posts. I'm going to hazard a guess you don't really have any interest at all in the opinion of others.

Kevin

I'm confused.

How and why did this turn into a language thing? Or taking the tone that I'm prejudice?

I admit, it's a mocking kind of question, but look at the leaderboards of an LPGA event.

Where are our talented women?

That's what I'm getting out of it, yes. Please prove me wrong.

What's your opinion on the state of the game in America for women? Perhaps you should express your grave concerns, instead of asking offhand questions in a way that belittle women golfers no matter their nationality. But maybe that's the point, right Junior? I've noticed that's your MO. There's at least a little condescension in most of your posts. I'm going to hazard a guess you don't really have any interest at all in the opinion of others.

Kevin

Seriously? How am I belittling women golfers? How was I ever slapped w/ that label?

I honestly, really do watch and pay attention to the LPGA because I enjoy it. I don't watch for my health.

I think it's a really down time for the American woman golfers. It's pretty obvious to see.

Instead of ignoring the big pink elephant in the room, why can't we acknowledge what's going on and address it?

The minute I do, I guess I'm belittling women golfers.............??????

That's what I'm getting out of it, yes. Please prove me wrong.

No, no. I asked you.

Why do you think I'm prejudice?

And do you think it's against women in general or certain ethnicities?

I'm interested to hear.

I'm sorry, Junior. I should have used the word mock instead of belittle.

Kevin

I'm sorry, Junior. I should have used the word mock instead of belittle.

Kevin

Are American women golfers above taking some criticism?

Are American women golfers above taking some criticism?

Tell me, Junior, are mocking and criticism the same thing? I'm curious, because mocking to me is generally denigrating and without much substance, while criticism would be more thoughtful and specific. You may have even heard the term "constructive criticism"? I've never heard the term "constructive mocking".

I don't want to ruin what should be a thread about the first LPGA Major. I'll watch for when you're mocking and belittling in other threads and point it out to you. Maybe it's a bad habit that can be broken. I'll use constructive criticism to get my point across. Show you how it's done.

Kevin

Tell me, Junior, are mocking and criticism the same thing? I'm curious, because mocking to me is generally denigrating and without much substance, while criticism would be more thoughtful and specific. You may have even heard the term "constructive criticism"? I've never heard the term "constructive mocking".

I don't want to ruin what should be a thread about the first LPGA Major. I'll watch for when you're mocking and belittling in other threads and point it out to you. Maybe it's a bad habit that can be broken. I'll use constructive criticism to get my point across. Show you how it's done.

Kevin

Yeah, this is my last post on this as well.

What you said is fair, overall.

Point taken.

I want to make it clear that I never denigrated American women golfers. Just call it a tough love kind of thing. Take my Michelle Wie thread as an example of that. Some of my "tone" about Wie was "mocking", but I do want her to do well. I think her talent is superb and she has the chance to be the face of the LPGA for quite a long time. When she goes and does things like she did on Sunday, it can be so disheartening to see. She takes two steps forward, and eight steps back by doing things like she did.

Hell, I want them winning!

However, that's just more or less a personal thing for me. Overall, I just enjoy watching some good golf played by women from all over the world and I'm looking forward to this tournament.

Last edited:
Back