Review KZG Tri-Tour Irons

I'd say that the $1500 range diminishes my interest immediately. I can get fit for a set of Apex CF19 (with stock offerings) for less and they're from a company I already trust. Mavriks? Even cheaper. Now I know that Mavriks aren't forged and I also know that there are several guys out there that have foregone their forged sets for the Mavriks.

Not trying to be a Richard here but, KZG is a nobody in the grand scheme of things. Making it HARDER to get your product in peoples hands is a loser from the start, IMO. Yes, they have a small cult following (just like every small company out there) and I actually have a bit of respect for the fact that they'd like everyone to get fit for their product. But when their like becomes a requirement for me to even take a peak at your clubs? My level of interest goes from zero to meh pretty much immediately. Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong angle but, I'm the consumer. It's not MY job to seek YOU out. Now, it would be different if this was some earth shattering product that we all just had t get our hands on. But, from the review, these irons don't really do anything particularly extraordinary. I respect the reviews that @Jman does. He's very objective about everything that he reviews and rarely (if ever) goes "fan boi" about anything. He judges these things strictly on merit (which is why I lend a lot of weight to his product write ups). In the review article it was basically laid out that they are not particularly long, or particularly forgiving. So, I'm kind of scratching my head as to why I should bother to seek THEM out.

It could be that I'm not really their target demographic. I'm O.K. with that. Hell, I'm a lefty, I've dealt with it (on some level) since the day I started golfing. But, I'm just not sure what the story is, here, that I'm supposed to go out of my way and seek them out. ?‍♂️

Nobody is a dick for not liking a product. I completely understand the idea of known brands readily available. It’s interesting how that parallel doesn’t transfer for the shaft side of things, or even putters where cost and little known don’t relegate a brand to DOA in interest, right?

I do find these irons have a strange magnetic pull for me...they're pretty and unique. I like em a lot, but the idea that I need to go out of my way (10h drive north) just to try them? Please, I can barely find the time to shower and shave these days.

Let’s say the price range is $1000-$1500 (I’m speaking in generalities), would you then search for a fitter that specializes in KZG? What is the price range that causes that to change?
For me that’s not unreasonable and given the review by James, I would in fact seek out a fitter to hit them.

I think once you hit above $1500 is when I’d start to question the value vs performance.

For me that’s not unreasonable and given the review by James, I would in fact seek out a fitter to hit them.

I think once you hit above $1500 is when I’d start to question the value vs performance.

I think it greatly would depend on the shaft choice. If you put a regular steel shaft in them my guess is they would come in under 1K. If you put Steelfibers or some other expensive shaft in them it would drive the price up. Different fitters also charge different prices for their services which would impact price. For $1500 I would expect a full fitting with some sort of more expensive shafts.

A quick search shows that the brand basically has no value once it goes out the door, so you better be real happy with them as you are not going to get any resale out of them.
Not a problem if you keep clubs for a few years and get fit for shafts you could transfer later on if needed.
IMO anything over $100 a stick is too much depending on the shaft choice and I played ALPHA irons / woods for while in about the same situation and really enjoyed them.

I think it greatly would depend on the shaft choice. If you put a regular steel shaft in them my guess is they would come in under 1K. If you put Steelfibers or some other expensive shaft in them it would drive the price up. Different fitters also charge different prices for their services which would impact price. For $1500 I would expect a full fitting with some sort of more expensive shafts.
And THIS is precisely why they don’t release the prices, the variance range based on shaft is massive.

At the same time, posting just a head only price would draw comparisons to lower tier component brands, being priced as cheap, or being labeled overpriced.

For a company based SOLELY on fitting, it makes sense, and they own their decision to do so.

A quick search shows that the brand basically has no value once it goes out the door, so you better be real happy with them as you are not going to get any resale out of them.
Not a problem if you keep clubs for a few years and get fit for shafts you could transfer later on if needed.
IMO anything over $100 a stick is too much depending on the shaft choice and I played ALPHA irons / woods for while in about the same situation and really enjoyed them.
If someone is buying clubs or limiting their realm of options based on resale, they’re a fool.

Pretty much anything you buy that is non-OEM has no value after it was purchased. The KZGs are high quality heads buy don’t hold value.

Nobody is a dick for not liking a product. I completely understand the idea of known brands readily available. It’s interesting how that parallel doesn’t transfer for the shaft side of things, or even putters where cost and little known don’t relegate a brand to DOA in interest, right?
Honestly, on the shaft side of things, I think it's more of an ignorance thing than anything else. Take myself, for example, I am quite possibly the most ignorant person on the planet when it comes to shafts, their profiles, how much of a difference they can make in my game, etc. From that angle, I'm more apt to be lead in a certain direction (if that makes sense). In fact, before I joined THP, the only thing I really "knew" about shafts is that they came in different flexes and that graphite was for seniors (yes, I was that ignorant). I now know that there's no industry standard when it comes to flex and maybe R-Flex in one shaft for me might be a stiff for me in another and also that graphite might actually be better for me (who knew?).

As far as putters, I've (thankfully) never gone down that rabbit hole. Unlike literally every other club in my bag, I pick a stick and I learn to putt with it. Once I bag a putter it's in my bag for years. I learn to get comfortable with it and don't tinker. I'm not a believer in the putter magic world, per se. Is there a better putter out there, for me? Possibly. I'm just not going to go through 23 of them to find out.

And THIS is precisely why they don’t release the prices, the variance range based on shaft is massive.

At the same time, posting just a head only price would draw comparisons to lower tier component brands, being priced as cheap, or being labeled overpriced.

For a company based SOLELY on fitting, it makes sense, and they own their decision to do so.

Agreed I totally get their strategy.

Really appreciate you reading the review and the feedback dude.
You got me wondering if I could stick some weight in that toe and game me some players irons ?

Honestly, on the shaft side of things, I think it's more of an ignorance thing than anything else. Take myself, for example, I am quite possibly the most ignorant person on the planet when it comes to shafts, their profiles, how much of a difference they can make in my game, etc. From that angle, I'm more apt to be lead in a certain direction (if that makes sense). In fact, before I joined THP, the only thing I really "knew" about shafts is that they came in different flexes and that graphite was for seniors (yes, I was that ignorant). I now know that there's no industry standard when it comes to flex and maybe R-Flex in one shaft for me might be a stiff for me in another and also that graphite might actually be better for me (who knew?).

As far as putters, I've (thankfully) never gone down that rabbit hole. Unlike literally every other club in my bag, I pick a stick and I learn to putt with it. Once I bag a putter it's in my bag for years. I learn to get comfortable with it and don't tinker. I'm not a believer in the putter magic world, per se. Is there a better putter out there, for me? Possibly. I'm just not going to go through 23 of them to find out.
That self proclaimed “ignorance” is precisely why KZG operates under this model, they want people to get fit.

That self proclaimed “ignorance” is precisely why KZG operates under this model, they want people to get fit.
Which is fine, and I get it, but don't be shocked that the world isn't knocking down the door to get a peek at the product when they're doing everything but make it easy to get our hands on it.

Even the "internet golfers'" response, I'll forecast, will be lukewarm (let alone the general golfing public). I just think it's a failed business model from the word go, personally. If their goal is a miniscule fraction of the golfing public, they're on the right track, IMO.

Which is fine, and I get it, but don't be shocked that the world isn't knocking down the door to get a peek at the product when they're doing everything but make it easy to get our hands on it.

Even the "internet golfers'" response, I'll forecast, will be lukewarm (let alone the general golfing public). I just think it's a failed business model from the word go, personally. If their goal is a miniscule fraction of the golfing public, they're on the right track, IMO.
For a failed business model, they’ve been doing it almost 30 years, as mentioned in the article.

Hell of a failure, no?

Great writeup @Jman, that was a good read. Thanks!

I was peripherally aware of KZG somehow in the past, but I am glad for the article as now I know exactly who they are and what they do. I like the milling and overall appeal of these... not quite my style but very nicely done and I think the longer blade more forgiving forged CB promises to be fun to hit.

The three weight system is what stands out to me here - that seems like a good balance between simplicity, ease of use, and tunability.

Closest dealer to me in central NH, is Ottawa, Buffalo NY, or Bethlehem PA, all of which are 6-8+ hours away. Odds are I won't ever see KZG in my neck of the woods unless they add a few fitters in New England. Surprising to me actually - pretty good population density and not a single dealer in all of New England. Seems like they need to work on their dealer map - I see big holes in the DC area, none in Texas, none serving Boston/NewEngland/NYC. Only one shop in Florida.

Great writeup @Jman, that was a good read. Thanks!

I was peripherally aware of KZG somehow in the past, but I am glad for the article as now I know exactly who they are and what they do. I like the milling and overall appeal of these... not quite my style but very nicely done and I think the longer blade more forgiving forged CB promises to be fun to hit.

The three weight system is what stands out to me here - that seems like a good balance between simplicity, ease of use, and tunability.

Closest dealer to me in central NH, is Ottawa, Buffalo NY, or Bethlehem PA, all of which are 6-8+ hours away. Odds are I won't ever see KZG in my neck of the woods unless they add a few fitters in New England. Surprising to me actually - pretty good population density and not a single dealer in all of New England. Seems like they need to work on their dealer map - I see big holes in the DC area, none in Texas, none serving Boston/NewEngland/NYC. Only one shop in Florida.
I definitely think there are gaps in their coverage of fitters, and I’m betting they do too, but some are for sure rather standout and large.

@Jman another excellent review! Those clubs are gorgeous. I like the milling on the backs and sides. Makes for an appealing club.

You mentioned there were some issues that caused unreliable numbers on your launch monitor?

PXG is pulling it off because they've created a big buzz around their product. Tour pros playing their stuff, lots of television advertising, and that air of exclusivity. KZG doesn't have all that going for them, so it may be a tougher go for them.

If someone is buying clubs or limiting their realm of options based on resale, they’re a fool.
Wow that hurts, just stating a fact of life in the components world.

@Jman another excellent review! Those clubs are gorgeous. I like the milling on the backs and sides. Makes for an appealing club.

You mentioned there were some issues that caused unreliable numbers on your launch monitor?
Nope, not unreliable, the data in the article is accurate. I was having issues with the app so I had to record pics of the data on the monitor and do the math myself this go round. No issues with the monitor.

Thank you for reading and for the kid words!

Great review and the clus look interesting... They have great design features but then elements that have me scratching my head. Based on price and looks I'm not interested but nice to know they work and are of high quality.

For a failed business model, they’ve been doing it almost 30 years, as mentioned in the article.

Hell of a failure, no?
Noted, failure would be the wrong disttinction (thank you for the correction). 30 years in any industry is nothing to sneeze at. But I'll pose this: your average golfer has no idea who KZG is. What are they doing from a technology or product standpoint that other companies aren't already that should compel me to look their direction?

So far, they've made it a hassle to even touch their product. So is their goal to be a niche company? Exclusive? Elusive? They've sold technologies to other companies in the past and had a heavy hand in the fitting industry (from what I can find). Their claim to fame, to this point, has been their involvement with the Orlimar Tri metals (mentioned in your review and on their website) and an honorable mention on Golf Digests Hot List in 2013 (at least from the average golfer's perspective). So what's the tipping point with this particular release that your average consumer is supposed to go out of their way to seek KZGs product out? Again, the tech story isn't necessarily compelling and there's nothing really exceptional about this club from a distance or dispersion standpoint that rallies the troops, no?

With that said, I'm not trying to imply that they make an inferior product. Not by any stretch. I actually like the look (especially the no thick topline and the what's been reviewed as a more forgiving sole). They sound pretty solid, actually but, here's the difference for me: I can walk into a fitter tell them I want to hit brands X,Y, and Z. I'm only interested in stock offerings or low cost manufacturer upgrades and give them a price range. Those parameters can be worked with and I can have a pretty solid idea of what we can work with. KZG? We're looking at what? I can't even get a baseline. My golf budget is finite. To me, this is the equivalent of ordering off a menu with no prices (if you can actually find the restaurant). No thanks. Some people can afford to live in that world. I'm not one of them and I have no interest. My time and money are too valuable to me to spend any more resources than necessary to seek out a company that has little to no interest in reeling me in to see what they have to offer. In fact, they've made it a business model to make it as difficult as possible for me to even see what they've got.

The company may not be a failure from a longevity standpoint but, in my opinion, their sales strategy is one of the least effective that I could possibly imagine. From the responses in this thread, I don't think that I'm alone in that thought. ?‍♂️

Noted, failure would be the wrong disttinction (thank you for the correction). 30 years in any industry is nothing to sneeze at. But I'll pose this: your average golfer has no idea who KZG is. What are they doing from a technology or product standpoint that other companies aren't already that should compel me to look their direction?

So far, they've made it a hassle to even touch their product. So is their goal to be a niche company? Exclusive? Elusive? They've sold technologies to other companies in the past and had a heavy hand in the fitting industry (from what I can find). Their claim to fame, to this point, has been their involvement with the Orlimar Tri metals (mentioned in your review and on their website) and an honorable mention on Golf Digests Hot List in 2013 (at least from the average golfer's perspective). So what's the tipping point with this particular release that your average consumer is supposed to go out of their way to seek KZGs product out? Again, the tech story isn't necessarily compelling and there's nothing really exceptional about this club from a distance or dispersion standpoint that rallies the troops, no?

With that said, I'm not trying to imply that they make an inferior product. Not by any stretch. I actually like the look (especially the no thick topline and the what's been reviewed as a more forgiving sole). They sound pretty solid, actually but, here's the difference for me: I can walk into a fitter tell them I want to hit brands X,Y, and Z. I'm only interested in stock offerings or low cost manufacturer upgrades and give them a price range. Those parameters can be worked with and I can have a pretty solid idea of what we can work with. KZG? We're looking at what? I can't even get a baseline. My golf budget is finite. To me, this is the equivalent of ordering off a menu with no prices (if you can actually find the restaurant). No thanks. Some people can afford to live in that world. I'm not one of them and I have no interest. My time and money are too valuable to me to spend any more resources than necessary to seek out a company that has little to no interest in reeling me in to see what they have to offer. In fact, they've made it a business model to make it as difficult as possible for me to even see what they've got.

The company may not be a failure from a longevity standpoint but, in my opinion, their sales strategy is one of the least effective that I could possibly imagine. From the responses in this thread, I don't think that I'm alone in that thought. ?‍♂️
Least effective according to what though? Comparisons with major OEM’s? That’s not their lane, they’ve made their niche and own it while also, in their belief (and after working with these irons I’d agree) having as high of quality as anything out there. To survive 30 years and still be alive and well means thy HAVE found their strategy that works for them, no? Why is it not ok for theirs to be unique to them? That’s what I don’t understand about the hangups that've surrounded the review of these.

And fwiw, as I’ve mentioned in the review in progress thread, it’s not a methodology I’d personally choose for a company, but, I also can’t point at it and say it’s wrong of them to take that path. At least they absolutely and at all costs are willing to own it, good, bad, indifferent.

Least effective according to what though? Comparisons with major OEM’s? That’s not their lane, they’ve made their niche and own it while also, in their belief (and after working with these irons I’d agree) having as high of quality as anything out there. To survive 30 years and still be alive and well means thy HAVE found their strategy that works for them, no? Why is it not ok for theirs to be unique to them? That’s what I don’t understand about the hangups that've surrounded the review of these.

Well said. Further, they seem to work with elite fitters and be choosy about how they grow their business. This is not the worst set of values ever. Not all companies want to be the highest volume or all things to all people. It's a private business, they can run it how they please.

Back