Review KZG Tri-Tour Irons

Well said. Further, they seem to work with elite fitters and be choosy about how they grow their business. This is not the worst set of values ever. Not all companies want to be the highest volume or all things to all people. It's a private business, they can run it how they please.
Its like the saying, different strokes for different folks.

I also appreciate everyone whose read and commented on the irons, they deserve more attention than the company organization imo, but, it’s part of the equation when working with brands that are unknown to a majority of the audience I realize, heck I was one prior to this review.

But, the irons stood out and performed well.

Least effective according to what though? Comparisons with major OEM’s? That’s not their lane, they’ve made their niche and own it while also, in their belief (and after working with these irons I’d agree) having as high of quality as anything out there. To survive 30 years and still be alive and well means thy HAVE found their strategy that works for them, no? Why is it not ok for theirs to be unique to them? That’s what I don’t understand about the hangups that've surrounded the review of these.
As you alluded to in your review, They've planted their foot in the "get fitted to maintain the integrity of our quality". To be honest, it's an honorable stance. It's a level of integrity that's rare in any retail spectrum. But, if we're being honest, that level of integrity will come at a cost. That cost being a lack of exposure and a lower volume of sales. I don't think that that is disputable, though I could be wrong (it certainly won't be the first or last time)

Success is a matter of thresholds, I suppose. Not mine or yours, but theirs. They've obviously managed to stay in business for decades so, as you said, they're doing something right. And, obviously on some level, the strategy that is unique to them is "O.K." for them. To be honest, your review had me in the "color me, at least, intrigued" demographic. KZG just as quickly put me in the "maybe not" category just as quickly when I realized not only did I have to put the legwork (and travel time) just to see their product but I couldn't even get a ballpark on the cost. That's O.K. for them, obviously. However, I'd pause at placing any blame on the consumer for not having any interest knowing that the company is trying to peddle their goods while stonewalling their buying public with a lack of tangibility or pricing. Is it the wrong strategy for KZG? I guess the sales numbers will tell the tale (it's certainly not a strategy that I would gravitate to if volume was the goal). They have, I assume, their projections and expectations. If they meet them then, I guess, they succeeded. If not, then their sales strategy needs to be reviewed, I would imagine.

And fwiw, as I’ve mentioned in the review in progress thread, it’s not a methodology I’d personally choose for a company, but, I also can’t point at it and say it’s wrong of them to take that path. At least they absolutely and at all costs are willing to own it, good, bad, indifferent.
That I can agree with.

Conversation is fun man! I’ve enjoyed it!
Agreed, Jman. Appreciate your time, brother (both in the review process and conversation).(y)

Another great write-up (as usual) James.

I like the look of the Tri-Tours and the owner seems to have the background to develop a good product. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts regarding on course results and the data you've compiled.

I knew the non published price would draw attention, I didn’t think it would totally lead to a gloss over of the irons and their performance though. There’s a bigger story than the pricing policy of KZG imo, namely an iron that’s performed as anything in this class as I’ve reviewed.
It's unfortunate that there is a tendency to pick one thing out about non-major OEMs and become fixated on that and miss the performance story. Similar thing going on in a putter review thread too. :dohanim:

Enjoyed the follow up to the review as well as the review itself James! Looks like a solid offering, with a little bit more fine tuning than is typical.

If you were to pick one stand out quality, what would it be - feel, adjustability, forgiveness (for the profile at least), etc?

Enjoyed the follow up to the review as well as the review itself James! Looks like a solid offering, with a little bit more fine tuning than is typical.

If you were to pick one stand out quality, what would it be - feel, adjustability, forgiveness (for the profile at least), etc?
Feel.

They're legitimately as good as any forged iron I have ever hit.

Feel.

They're legitimately as good as any forged iron I have ever hit.
This is a big compliment. I've been interested since you first announced you were testing them. I don't know when I can make the trip down to NC to get to a fitter but if nothing else I'll keep an eye out for a set of these heads going up for sale!

You want cool?

We have always told THP'ers that companies are much more active than they believe and truly do take an interest in what is going on here and more importantly the feedback that THP'ers offer.

Well, KZG was paying attention to the conversation.

They wanted to convey a message regarding the pricing and give a little clarification after realizing thanks to our convo's here it is something they need to offer.

From KZG:

"The Tri-Tour Irons are starting around $229.00 each and the Super Sole Wedge starts at $149.00".

Obviously this will vary based on shaft selection/fitting, but at least it is a starting point that I fully expect to spur the conversation here a little more.

Good for KZG for supplying additional info. Is that starting price point just the head or does it include the average steel shaft?
I know of KZG only because the place I used to practice and get lessons was a fitter and the guys working there played them. They were always trying to sell me on them. Being a THPer I'd try to discuss clubs with the fitter but since I wasn't interested in his KZGs he was quite a dick to me. Put me off on the place and I left when my membership expired.
Doing the same thing for 30 years says they don't care if their small and hold a tiny niche in the market. Success is what you make it.

You want cool?

We have always told THP'ers that companies are much more active than they believe and truly do take an interest in what is going on here and more importantly the feedback that THP'ers offer.

They wanted to convey a message regarding the pricing and give a little clarification after realizing thanks to our convo's here it is something they need to offer.

From KZG:

"The Tri-Tour Irons are starting around $229.00 each and the Super Sole Wedge starts at $149.00".

Obviously this will vary based on shaft selection/fitting, but at least it is a starting point that I fully expect to spur the conversation here a little more.
Bump of what I thought was pretty dang cool for the evening crowd

You want cool?

From KZG:

Awesome that they are paying attention. Definitely a decent value when you factor in the fitting process! I need to either stay away from this thread or plan a trip to North Carolina!! ?

Awesome that they are paying attention. Definitely a decent value when you factor in the fitting process! I need to either stay away from this thread or plan a trip to North Carolina!! ?

The latter sounds more fun.

You want cool?

From KZG:

That is very cool to hear. When I'm out traveling I'll have to try finding a fitter that carries them.

The latter sounds more fun.
The real question is do I need another brand that most people aren't familiar with. I already still play my Orka RS10MB/CB combo set from time to time. I do know the answer is yes, I do need another but I'm pretending to be responsible!! ?

I think these should perhaps get the gold Recoil 95 treatment....

I think these should perhaps get the gold Recoil 95 treatment....
Only if I can meet up with you and catch a round / try them out!! 😍😍

Only if I can meet up with you and catch a round / try them out!! 😍😍
I plan on some golf escapades across your part of the world this year so its possible, haha

In depth review and testing done on the KZG Tri-Tour is now up. Check it out on the home page here.

Fun read bump for people on a Monday ;)

Fun read bump for people on a Monday ;)

Local guy Woody with his Pure Shot business is a dealer (banner, at least a demo iron) but not listed on their site. He’s even recommended I try these irons. Now maybe that has changed or his dealer status was something in limbo, but that is the kind of thing that will stop me from testing these. I’ve had a 7i in hand in his shop. Woody runs a small business and works his butt off. Not listed is a bummer for a guy like that. Like I said, maybe there is more to it, but still a no go for me at this point. Shame because the review is good and James’ review is appealing.

Kudos to KZG for listening to potential customers and providing ball park pricing info! That's awesome.

@Jman how forgiving is forgiving for these clubs? I know forgiveness is subjective and along the lines of asking "what is blue" or "what is cold" and it's different for each person...

Back