Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What is the lowest temperature you will get out and play a round in?

For me I am good to about 38 degrees as long as there is no wind and sunny. I prefer it to be above 40 and then not really an issue.

The lowest I've played in was high 30's, but I probably won't do it again. I probably won't tee off unless its already above 40 and headed for over 50. If it's windy it's gotta be warmer than that.

I usually won't bother to play unless it's already over 50. I really don't do cold.

Mid 30s wind and rain. Made it feel like 20s. The company made it tolerable :)

Below 50 is generally the cutoff point for me. That easily still leaves 325+ golfing days in the year where I live. I have played, and will play again, in sub 50 degree temps as long as the sun is out and the wind is down,

A couple of years ago, I played the day after Christmas with temps in the low 30s. The wind and sleet we got on the back made it interesting.

54.5 degrees with little or no wind

Round I walked earlier this month, temperature was 35 degrees when I started. Halfway through the round, I was questioning my sanity.

So I am going to hover around the plus side of 40 degrees from now on.

Anything less than 5*C gets a bit uncomfortable up here (41*f).

We have definitely golfed in colder. Usually the year end tournament is more a test of endurance and braving the elements. Quite often it is either freezing rain & snow.

I have played in mid-thirty's, but the sun was full and NO wind. Had a few dark layers on, a knit hat but was not cold. That was back when I was young and an idiot, now, will play in the low-mid 40's, sun and very little wind. Wife still says I'm an idiot!

Lowest temp

I remember playing in flurries in high school many years back. Last weekend I teed off in the high 20s, with temps hardly getting above freezing on the back 9, but it was sunny and there was no wind. My temp range is really wind dependent. I look at wind chill as much as ambient temp.

Edit: in college, I remember teeing off in shorts one fine spring morning. The weather changed (as is normal in the mountains of NC) and snow was falling by the turn. We went in and drank.

Now that I'm closer to 40, that's the number for me. If it's under 40, I'm not going unless it's sunny and almost no wind.

Each year I move it up - now I'm at 55 with little to no wind, if it's windy then I'm probably 60-62 before I'm interested in going out. Yesterday I had a time and the front 9 would have been low 50's and wind so I bagged it.

Definitely always wind depended (MPH) and direction, north winds are rough, south winds can help a bit to a point.

40 and no wind is my cutoff point, that being said I'll tee off in the high 30's as long as it's going to warm up as the day goes on.

High 30's for me. 38 is the typical cutoff when the wind is down.

I have played when the temperatures were in the low 30s but it sucked, if it gets below 40 I'll wait till tomorrow.

Anything lower than 45* I'm not playing. It's just not fun IMO

Low 20s any lower than that is too cold.

Hi 30s and minimal wind and I'm fine.

Some time ago, my duck hunter father-in-law and I played a course in Long Branch, NJ on a New Year's Day when it was 4 degrees F. They obviously had winter greens, it was sunny and not windy, thankfully, and there were at least ten other golfers on the course. Being a duck hunter meant the weather was just another day at the office for my father-in-law, but I don't plan to do it again.

Even at the Jersey Shore, 4 degrees is a "dry" cold.

Played with the wind chill in the teens last year. I probably won't do that again.

If no wind, then I'm good if it's in the 40's. Maybe upper 30's if it's really dry.

I will play in mid 30's if there is no snow or rain. I will usually grab a cart with a cover and bundle up. Grab a softer golf ball and play just for the swings not really looking at score.

Mid teens no problem. Sure the game changes when the ground is frozen but nothing sucks more than being stuck indoors.

Back