MacGregor 2011-2012 Products

bortwein

Reaction score
I'm not seeing a lot of information out there about the New 2011-2012 MacGregor products so I wanted to give a little insight into the new products and answer any question you might have about them.

MG-Tourney-2011.jpg

MacGregor Tourney Driver

• Lighter head design matched up with a 55 gram UST Mamiya Shaft and a Lighter Lamkin Grip for a 7% lighter total club weight.
• Increased Cup Face depth for added forgiveness.
• Aerodynamic Shaping to help reduce drag and increase clubhead speeds.
• Will be Available in RH and LH
• Available Lofts
9.5º - RH - R,S - 46” - UST Mamiya 55 gram
10.5º - RH/LH - A,R,S - 46” - UST Mamiya 55 gram
11º - RH - A,R,S - 46” - UST Mamiya 55 gram
MG500_R_105_TRNY.jpg

MG-Tourney-Driver-Tech.jpg

MacGregor Tourney Fairway & Hybrids
• Improved sole shape to reduce the amount of Turf Contact.
• Added variable face technology to improve CT and ball spin.
• Increased Cup Face depth for added forgiveness.
• Fairway Club break down
3 (15º) - RH/LH - A,R,S - 43” - UST Mamiya 65 gram
5 (18º) - RH/LH - A,R,S - 42” - UST Mamiya 65 gram
• Hybrid Club break down
3 (18º) - RH/LH - A,R,S - 40” - UST Mamiya 65 gram
4 (21º) - RH/LH - A,R,S - 39.5” - UST Mamiya 65 gram
5 (24º) - RH/LH - A,R,S - 39” - UST Mamiya 65 gram
MG-FW-HY_R_3_TRNY.jpg

MG-Tourney-FWW-HYB-Tech.jpg

MacGregor Tourney Irons

• New improved head shape over the M85i Irons.
• 22% Thinner face than the previous M85i model irons.
• Broken Topline for a thinner address appearance.
• Multi-material cavity Badge with 3M layer to enhance feel.
• Club number and loft break down
4 (21º) - RH/LH - Flex(s)- R,S - Shaft(s): UST Mamiya Graphite / Apollo Acculite 75 Steel
5 (24º) - RH/LH - Flex(s)- R,S - Shaft(s): UST Mamiya Graphite / Apollo Acculite 75 Steel
6 (27º) - RH/LH - Flex(s)- R,S - Shaft(s): UST Mamiya Graphite / Apollo Acculite 75 Steel
7 (31º) - RH/LH - Flex(s)- R,S - Shaft(s): UST Mamiya Graphite / Apollo Acculite 75 Steel
8 (35º) - RH/LH - Flex(s)- R,S - Shaft(s): UST Mamiya Graphite / Apollo Acculite 75 Steel
9 (40º) - RH/LH - Flex(s)- R,S - Shaft(s): UST Mamiya Graphite / Apollo Acculite 75 Steel
PW (44º) - RH/LH - Flex(s)- R,S - Shaft(s): UST Mamiya Graphite / Apollo Acculite 75 Steel

MG535_R_TRNY_Steel.jpg

MacGregor VIP CC Wedges
• Available in 2 finishes (Satin or Matte Black)
• Grooves are conforming to USGA standards.
• The number of grooves on the face have been increased compared to the previous VIP Wedges. (See image below)
• Classic MacGregor Shaping
• Club Loft and Bounce break down
52º / 6º - RH - VIP Wedge Shaft by Apollo
54º / 10º - RH - VIP Wedge Shaft by Apollo
56º / 12º - RH/LH - VIP Wedge Shaft by Apollo
58º / 10º - RH - VIP Wedge Shaft by Apollo
60º / 8º - RH/LH - VIP Wedge Shaft by Apollo
VIP-Wedges-2011.jpg

Wedge-Grooves-oldvsnew.jpg

MacGregor ROTA Putter Additions - Birkdale and Troon
• Features a Milled Face with ARC Technology to get the ball into a true roll quicker.
MG-ROTA-Putters2011.jpg

MacGregor Response Putter Line
• 3 models - available in both Black or White finishes
• Features a urethane face insert with the ARC Face Technology to get the ball into a true roll quicker.

ResponsePutters-2011.jpg

MacGregor Stand and Cart Bags

MacGregor2011-StandBag.jpg
MacGregor2011-CartBag.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know anything about MacGregor but the clubs look good.

I like the simple look of the wedges, I'm not familiar with the Apollo shaft though.

They look nice.

Once a top brand. I don't know much about the stuff today other than it has become a Golfsmith house brand. Price point I think seems a little high to me, but what do I know.....

The ROTA putters are nice looking. How much input do you have in these designs?

One of my favorite drivers ever was a MacGregor NVG2. I threw a PL Blue shaft in it and it seemed like a perfect balance for me. Then I discovered THP and became friends with a member formally known as OEM Kevin and it was all down hill.

I like the looks of the Troon putter.

The ROTA putters are nice looking. How much input do you have in these designs?
How much input do I have in the ROTA putters? Usually when it comes to the putters I have a vote in the finish/color and then I have a hand in the design of the Face Milling pattern/layout. I'll be redesigning the layout of the milling pattern on the next generation of the ROTA putters. I have seen comments about the pattern being too limited to the center of the hitting area so on toe or heel hits the feel is different (not bad, but different). This is part of the reason we made the Response insert to be a large oval in the center of the face with the ARC pattern on it. I'll look to improve that milling layout on the ROTA series next. I also create the logo graphics or font choices used on the sole of the putters.

I have a lot more input in the Irons and Woods. I do 100% of the design on the Iron Medallion/Badge on the irons. Then I do the logo design, sole design and paint options on all the woods. Usually I create a number of different possible paint and logo options for each product for the group to review. Then we select a direction for samples and then once approved on to production. The engineering of the clubs to meet the performance and USGA rules is done by Sheets Golf Design. They are an outside golf design company owned by Jeff Sheets who has many years of golf club design experience.

That's some pretty cool insight. Thanks for posting it.

that's pretty cool bortwein

Now I'm as skeptical as it you can be when it comes to non major OEMs so I'm not going to make any comment before I get a chance to hit them.

Now I'm as skeptical as it you can be when it comes to non major OEMs so I'm not going to make any comment before I get a chance to hit them.
IMO, you shouldn't be. I bet if we were blindfolded 95% of us couldn't tell a difference.

Thanks for the info! Regarding the irons:Has the thinner face resulted in a higher COR? If so do you know what it is? Could you also comment more on the improved head shape (a top line pic would be great!).thanksMike

Thanks for the info! Regarding the irons:Has the thinner face resulted in a higher COR? If so do you know what it is? Could you also comment more on the improved head shape (a top line pic would be great!).thanksMike

I don't have the engineering data with the COR results so I will not be able to answer that one. I also don't have any photos of the 2 irons at address for you to compare. Wish I did. We were able to Increased total distance of each iron by up to 13 yards on average. I also have this graphic showing the improved face shape and the lowered CG location we were able to get with the new design. Hope this helps.
TourneyIron-Graphic-i3.jpg

Man I just don't like the all black look. I purchased last years driver and 3 wood that I played for about half the season and I liked the look of those much better. I still play the MT Pro irons. The irons in your avatar are awesome, I think MacGregor should stick to the roots of the company, classic looking clubs that perform.

PS: I also have a new wedge and I am not 100% sold on the tight grooves. I really like how SCOR did their groove design to adhere to the new groove rules.

... (a top line pic would be great!).thanksMike

Ok I scrambled around through my photos of the products and I was able to find the Studio shot of the M85i Iron (on left) and a photo I took of the new Tourney (on Right) iron out in the grass. They are not at the same angle but maybe this image will help.

MacGregor-Irons-address-com.jpg

Man I just don't like the all black look. I purchased last years driver and 3 wood that I played for about half the season and I liked the look of those much better. I still play the MT Pro irons. The irons in your avatar are awesome, I think MacGregor should stick to the roots of the company, classic looking clubs that perform.

PS: I also have a new wedge and I am not 100% sold on the tight grooves. I really like how SCOR did their groove design to adhere to the new groove rules.

That's great feedback. I like a satin look but I'm not offended by the all black. It might be a trend at the moment so we will see where we end up for the next generation of products. Also, I think I'll mention to the team about the grooves so we can look into how SCOR did it for comparison to our groove design. We saw some really incredible results in our testing of the grooves to improve performance but it is always good to hear what the golfers in the field are experiencing.

the black iron looks really good at address

Thanks for the pics and info but I am not a fan at all of the looks.

I agree, I'm just not sure how it will wear.
We took the wear factor into account with this product. The irons have been Black PVD coated and then Chromed over top of that black PVD finish. This greatly helps reduce the amount of wear on the black. The same iron without the Chrome process added would wear fairly quickly like most unprotected black finishes.

Thanks for the info and pic of the topline! Very cool of you to share these details with us re: the reasons for the design and what you were able to achieve. The wedge grooves remind me of the Cally Jaws' which apparently give off some great spin.

Are the lofts stronger than the 85's?

Maybe Macgregor should send some products to THP for review and for the THP Demo Day so people can give real world results and review them.

Are the lofts stronger than the 85's?
By like 1º stronger on the 4-8 irons but the 9 and Pw are the same. The move was to be more in line with what we were seeing in the market place from the OEMs.

Back