Marketing: A Rant.

I'm immune to advertising. Has no effect on me at all.

Kevin

For you. Your statements that it is the best out there, should really be changed to the best out there for you in my opinion. I do have to say that I find the bolded part kind of funny though. Must mean that TaylorMade makes the best driver, Adams makes the best hybrid, Titleist makes the best wedges and putter and FootJoy makes the best shoes and while we are at it, True Temper makes the best iron shafts and the list goes on and on. Did you know that on other tours Titleist is not the most used for balls, nor is Taylormade for drivers?

There is nothing wrong with the Titleist Pro V1. Its a darn good ball. However based on your line of thinking, there are TONS of professionals playing an inferior golf ball. No offense, there is NO WAY with the kind of money on the line that they would do so. EVERY premium ball is a great ball. Not every premium ball fits every player. If the Pro V1 is the "best ball out there", why does most of the tour players using it not even play the current 2011 model? The answer is easy, because there is NO best anything. Its what fits an individual player.

I agree with what you are saying JB, but there will always be the argument of what is best.
I also don't play the 2011 model ProV1 so I wasn't saying that it was the best. I just feel like if it wasn't such a high quality ball they wouldn't be the leading ball on tour, and the same with Taylormade Drivers, Adams Hybrids, Titleist Wedges, and Footjoy shoes. I'm not trying to be stubborn, but why would so many players use a certain brand/company when the level of competition is so high and so much money is at stake. Other than the obvious money spent on tour players and marketing.

I have absolutely ZERO problem with this. My problem is with guys who think it is best for EVERYBODY.

Yes, I in no way think it's the best for everyone. That's why the Bridgestone fitting is so cool. Other companies would be smart to follow their example to cater to the customers.

I agree with what you are saying JB, but there will always be the argument of what is best.
I also don't play the 2011 model ProV1 so I wasn't saying that it was the best. I just feel like if it wasn't such a high quality ball they wouldn't be the leading ball on tour, and the same with Taylormade Drivers, Adams Hybrids, Titleist Wedges, and Footjoy shoes. I'm not trying to be stubborn, but why would so many players use a certain brand/company when the level of competition is so high and so much money is at stake. Other than the obvious money spent on tour players and marketing.

Yes, I in no way think it's the best for everyone. That's why the Bridgestone fitting is so cool. Other companies would be smart to follow their example to cater to the customers.

Honestly, to these guys, I think the extra change they are guaranteed off-sets the minimal losses (or even gains) they may see. These guys could win with surlyn covered range balls. They are that good.

And again I will state that I would never say it is not a great product. All listed certainly are. What I will state is that it is not the best product. Why? Because there is no best product. I will also state boldly that what they play on tour should have NOTHING to do with an amateur golfer picking a product. Absolutely NOTHING. But anybody that wants to use that as a debate wants to believe in marketing. Plain and simple. That is what it is about across the board. If you had any idea how much these companies pay to be called "the #1 _______ on tour", you might feel differently, but in the end, it is entirely up to you. If you choose to believe its the best ________ because the pros play it. By all means have at it. Me? I will continue to play whats right for me through fitting and will never care a thing about what the brand is.

About the only "marketing" I give a damn about is what the testers/reviewers here have to say. If all of the marketing was right I'd be pounding 400 yard drives and holing out from the fairway with every swing. I have been phone and internet fitted for the balls that I play, but the next time I see a live fitting I hope to be able to attend.

I'd respect his opinion a little more if he'd thoroughly tested every other ball on the market.

I was at the range last week, and in the shop is a little old guy with a half set of clubs, hovering around the equipment section. Must have been 80 if he was a day, hunched over and walking with a bit of a limp. He walks past 5 mins later with a dozen new Pro V1s. I may have misjudged this guy's physical condition, but for me it was a triumph of marketing summed up.

And again I will state that I would never say it is not a great product. All listed certainly are. What I will state is that it is not the best product. Why? Because there is no best product. I will also state boldly that what they play on tour should have NOTHING to do with an amateur golfer picking a product. Absolutely NOTHING. But anybody that wants to use that as a debate wants to believe in marketing. Plain and simple. That is what it is about across the board. If you had any idea how much these companies pay to be called "the #1 _______ on tour", you might feel differently, but in the end, it is entirely up to you. If you choose to believe its the best ________ because the pros play it. By all means have at it. Me? I will continue to play whats right for me through fitting and will never care a thing about what the brand is.

I think you misunderstood me I'm not saying that I play ______ becuase it is the best on tour. That may have got me initially interested in a product yes, but if I don't like a product I will quite playing it and I wont support it. I really think for me personally the ProV1 is best, but that is for me only. I do understand the kind of money spent to be calledthe #1 on tour and realize this has something to do with it. I just don't like saying that there is not a best haha
I like to hear opinions on what you think is best and you made it clear you don't feel that there is a clear best and I was just saying that I feel the ProV1 is the best in my eye. I'm open to all products and such, but I just like having a best picked out in my mind :D

I think there is something to be said about people who are so blindly passionate for a certain product, whether that product is a golf club, golf ball, car, whatever. They are certainly allowed to feel that way but there comes a point where they need to step back and realize that not everyone shares there opinion and will tell that dissenter that any other thing is wrong. That is where people get a little crazy, and sure marketing has plenty to do with it. The biggest factor I've noticed in golf snobbery is if the tour players use it everyone should.

I played golf just yesterday as a walk on and was paired with a guy who was probably in his late 30's and was playing blades. He was struggling mightily, after 3 holes I asked how long he'd been playing (1 year) and after 12 holes I finally just asked him why he was playing blades. His response was the pro's play them and do well so I should be able to as well. I gave him a quick pep talk about irons and handed him one of my x22's to play his next shot with. Needless to say it was his best shot all day. Who knows if I made an impact on his thought process or not, but it was interesting to see him light up after his first good shot all day involving an iron.

I think there is something to be said about people who are so blindly passionate for a certain product, whether that product is a golf club, golf ball, car, whatever. They are certainly allowed to feel that way but there comes a point where they need to step back and realize that not everyone shares there opinion and will tell that dissenter that any other thing is wrong. That is where people get a little crazy, and sure marketing has plenty to do with it. The biggest factor I've noticed in golf snobbery is if the tour players use it everyone should.

I played golf just yesterday as a walk on and was paired with a guy who was probably in his late 30's and was playing blades. He was struggling mightily, after 3 holes I asked how long he'd been playing (1 year) and after 12 holes I finally just asked him why he was playing blades. His response was the pro's play them and do well so I should be able to as well. I gave him a quick pep talk about irons and handed him one of my x22's to play his next shot with. Needless to say it was his best shot all day. Who knows if I made an impact on his thought process or not, but it was interesting to see him light up after his first good shot all day involving an iron.

That's awesome marius! I bet that guy may be in the market for some new irons haha

Well for me when it comes to golf balls I like the prov1s and xs but I also like the penta and will play both if needed. But never have I tried to argue over what balls is better or who should play what ball cause of such and such statistic.

Well for me when it comes to golf balls I like the prov1s and xs but I also like the penta and will play both if needed. But never have I tried to argue over what balls is better or who should play what ball cause of such and such statistic.

I'm still waiting on my Penta's to come in the mail, so I can unthrone the ProV1 in my bag. I look forward to proving that the ProV1 is not as good as the Penta's, but cannot make that statement until I test them out. haha

I can honestly say, that i dont play with anyone who has that arrogant of an opinion.
Lord knows I test out a lot of stuff and my current ball of choice is the Penta
Last year it was the B330Rx and the year before that it was the Callaway Tour I...

As long as people phrase their statement as an opinion, i do not care.

Crap, the best people in the golf ball industry claim their ball is the best and they have been doing it for 20 years.
How can a neophyte in that arena pretend to be an expert...Answer: they cant...

Back