Matrix Reign Black Shafts Review

May have to give one of these away soon. Such a great limited edition shaft.
I refuse to give up, quoting for the morning crew to see. Maybe we will get the excitement this deserves and someone will end up with something awesome...

I refuse to give up, quoting for the morning crew to see. Maybe we will get the excitement this deserves and someone will end up with something awesome...

This is flying under the radar. Didn't see it till yesterday myself. And now that I did... I WANT that G70T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is flying under the radar. Didn't see it till yesterday myself. And now that I did... I WANT that G70T

Sadly, some things just get overlooked for whatever reason, but it is what it is.

All I know is what's in my review, and the fact that the G70T is still in my driver after finishing it.

Sadly, some things just get overlooked for whatever reason, but it is what it is.

All I know is what's in my review, and the fact that the G70T is still in my driver after finishing it.

What shaft where you playing before the G70T?How do they compare?

What shaft where you playing before the G70T?How do they compare?

Handcrafted LZ50, flight wise, similar. For me though the added weight and slightly lower spin has been a welcome addition where my numbers are concerned.

Handcrafted LZ50, flight wise, similar. For me though the added weight and slightly lower spin has been a welcome addition.

That's interesting you say that. I've always been a 60g-ish shaft guy but every time I swing a 70g shaft I end up loving the weight. I need to start gaming that weight class

That's interesting you say that. I've always been a 60g-ish shaft guy but every time I swing a 70g shaft I end up loving the weight. I need to start gaming that weight class

Eh, its definitely something that will vary person to person. We see so many hop on the "heavier has better dispersion" bandwagon because it's been repeated incessantly and that leads many to miss out on something lighter which could really help their games. Imo the majority of golfers will do best with the 60.

I have a white tie now 50g ish. So I know I launch those too high with too much spin. The lighter shaft also causes my tempo to be all over the place. For me, the heavier weight isn't about dispersion but more about feel and balancing out my swing/tempo.

I have a white tie now 50g ish. So I know I launch those too high with too much spin. The lighter shaft also causes my tempo to be all over the place. For me, the heavier weight isn't about dispersion but more about feel and balancing out my swing/tempo.

They aren't all created equal, remember that. Lighter can be super low launch and spin as well, its all about the profile. Light gets a bad wrap because of the preconceived notions of high, spinny, and whippy, they're things THP has put to bed with our THP TV videos on the homepage interviewing some of the best minds in the business.

They aren't all created equal, remember that. Lighter can be super low launch and spin as well, its all about the profile. Light gets a bad wrap because of the preconceived notions of high, spinny, and whippy, they're things THP has put to bed with our THP TV videos on the homepage interviewing some of the best minds in the business.

Very good point. I don't think the white tie is "whippy" by any means. It actually has been one of my favorite shafts in a long time despite it being lightweight. I should re address the launching high aspect....for me the white tie is more mid-mid-high launch but it's on the higher spin side for me. I have it paired with the TEE XCG7 beta (lower spin) head and have been finding more fairways than ever. But this combo is robbing me distance. I'll get max 250 out of my drives now which is about 15-20yrds shy of where I am used to. Sacrificing distance but gaining accuracy?? Trying to keep that accuracy but gain some more distance. A 70g shaft may not necessarily do that for me, but I do know, that at that weight I feel very comfortable With my swing and tempo.

I went back and read the review again and even though there's no chance in hell I can spend $500 on a shaft, that won't stop me from drooling over these. Jman--any thoughts on how the G70T compares to the Whiteboard?

I went back and read the review again and even though there's no chance in hell I can spend $500 on a shaft, that won't stop me from drooling over these. Jman--any thoughts on how the G70T compares to the Whiteboard?
Honestly, scary similar imo.

Shafts sounds like it obviously has some good vibes on tour.... But @Jman.... Can you explain the Traditional Weighting vs the Back Weighting? I'm an extreme novice with this stuff. Thanks!

Shafts sounds like it obviously has some good vibes on tour.... But @Jman.... Can you explain the Traditional Weighting vs the Back Weighting? I'm an extreme novice with this stuff. Thanks!

Its talked about in the initial info of the review a bit, but in its most basic, we are seeing more bakcweighted options in order to make easier builds (swing weight, etc) with today's longer lengths and heavier heads. More weight toward the rear of the shaft, allows for better offsetting of the head-weights and balance point location.

Its talked about in the initial info of the review a bit, but in its most basic, we are seeing more bakcweighted options in order to make easier builds (swing weight, etc) with today's longer lengths and heavier heads. More weight toward the rear of the shaft, allows for better offsetting of the head-weights and balance point location.
Sounds like it'd be fun to swing. Do you think that improvements in shafts are more or less important than the new clubs themselves?

Sounds like it'd be fun to swing. Do you think that improvements in shafts are more or less important than the new clubs themselves?

I think the importance of shafts, for amateurs, is vastly overthought. The head has the greatest influence on fit and performance, but the shaft can help tune that in a bit depending on where your swing is and its repeatability...just not as much as some believe it does or have convinced themselves that it does. All my personal opinion of course, I know some will get their dander up a bit at that comment.

The 60-T X flex sounds like a winner to me. And to have the same shaft Rickie had in the same driver head? Would be an awesome combo to own

Can't believe I missed this until now. Nice review, James. How does the back weighting in this shaft compare to the back weighting you experienced in the G30 shaft? Is it even possible to compare or are the underlying shafts too different?

The 60-T X flex sounds like a winner to me. And to have the same shaft Rickie had in the same driver head? Would be an awesome combo to own

You'd need to get your 70-T on then Philly.

And you would enjoy this shaft, trust me.

Can't believe I missed this until now. Nice review, James. How does the back weighting in this shaft compare to the back weighting you experienced in the G30 shaft? Is it even possible to compare or are the underlying shafts too different?

Same principles Frank, just different profiles.

76g is so heavy lol

I'd throw down on the 70-T so hard.

Would love to give either the G-60B or G-60T a whirl

Man I should post every review thread in the contest teaser section. :banana:

Nice review JMan, amazing what they can do with rigidity and weight by working with the weave of the fiber. Would love to give this a few swings sometime as I got along well with the whiteboard I had in my Amp Cell.
Looks-wise it reminds me of a gmc typhoon, understated but will blow the doors off most competition.

Back