Matrix Reign Black Shafts Review

Man I should post every review thread in the contest teaser section. :banana:
Hahahaha well played.

That's is not heavy, I used to play an 80 gram plus Ei70. That is a heavy Beotch

The Matrix shaft I have now is marked as 75g but actual weight is only 70g I believe

I would LOVE to try the G-60B up against my LZ shaft. Great details in there, Jman. Tell me if I'm thinking about this right. With the LZ, both ends are stiffer, is it safe to say that's more weighted? So can I think about the Reign as being stiff at the butt, but the heavier head helps to create that weight on both ends creating the same sort of loading effect as the LZ?

It's probably more apples to oranges, but I'm just trying to think about it the right way.

Matrix Reign Black Shafts Review

The Matrix shaft I have now is marked as 75g but actual weight is only 70g I believe

I play 80g X-flex in that Cleveland Classic. It's phenomenal for me

Sounds like I need to man up lol

Haha, I mean higher weight might drag some people down, but you've got plenty of swing speed/power that you would do fine. I read somewhere that Gary Woodland plays something like a 105 in his driver haha

I refuse to give up, quoting for the morning crew to see. Maybe we will get the excitement this deserves and someone will end up with something awesome...

Another reason I'm not keen on TapaTalk, can't see the homepage reviews.
Will have to fire up the PC and see what all of the excitement is about.

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

I think the importance of shafts, for amateurs, is vastly overthought.

I definitely fell in the group of not giving a lick what shafts were in my clubs, and then came THP. For the first time last year I swapped shafts and holy moly!

Solid review James. I will admit I saw the “black” in the name and immediately associated it with the Black Tie. I wrongly assumed this shaft was too stout for me & reading your review that couldn’t be further from the truth. The price point might keep many away, but it looks like Matrix has a solid premium offering.

The back weighted G-60B is intriguing for sure.

Solid review James. I will admit I saw the “black” in the name and immediately associated it with the Black Tie. I wrongly assumed this shaft was too stout for me & reading your review that couldn’t be further from the truth. The price point might keep many away, but it looks like Matrix has a solid premium offering.

The back weighted G-60B is intriguing for sure.

I'll have the 60B in a Fly-Z and the 70T in the 815 w/ me this weekend if you want to take some swipes.

Never had much luck with the Matrix shafts... Not that I wouldn't try them. My current gamer has a 65g shaft, with 3.4 torque. A bit heavier would be good. But I'd have to go through a fitting with it before I laid down the money for sure. I don't trust myself enough to just pick out a shaft and go with it. Maybe it's lack of knowledge, and fear of wasting good money. Great write up buddy, sorry I missed it earlier.

I'll have the 60B in a Fly-Z and the 70T in the 815 w/ me this weekend if you want to take some swipes.

Yes! Flightscope time

This may be a separate thread topic, but with all the differing shafts, and shaft profiles, and options.

Will getting a solid fitting become hit or miss? Meaning will the fitters not fully understand the profiles and options to better help the player.

James has a wealth of shaft knowledge and understanding, and when the backweighted shaft launched lower he was surprised.

I could see fitters becoming overwhelmed by the options at hand, and settling for "good enough" in their search for the "best" when fitting their customers.

Definitely a fan of Matrix shafts; still won't let go of my beloved Code 8s. It'd be interesting to put the T and B series against each other with my swing. Initially think I would gravitate towards the T, but have had decent results with mid-launch/spin shafts the last couple of seasons.

Its talked about in the initial info of the review a bit, but in its most basic, we are seeing more bakcweighted options in order to make easier builds (swing weight, etc) with today's longer lengths and heavier heads. More weight toward the rear of the shaft, allows for better offsetting of the head-weights and balance point location.

Being a big fan of the Boccieri hybrids, this has that same kind of general thought process to the design. That's exciting.

This may be a separate thread topic, but with all the differing shafts, and shaft profiles, and options.

Will getting a solid fitting become hit or miss? Meaning will the fitters not fully understand the profiles and options to better help the player.

James has a wealth of shaft knowledge and understanding, and when the backweighted shaft launched lower he was surprised.

I could see fitters becoming overwhelmed by the options at hand, and settling for "good enough" in their search for the "best" when fitting their customers.

Very true! I can see this happening with increased options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James, did you swing any of the G30 drivers with the higher c.g. shaft? How would that compare to the 60B?

Solid review and looks like a great line of shafts. I really like the look of these and I love how they have designated each one.

It kind of lost me at lowmid/lowmid as I know those shafts just never work out the best for me.

My spring fitting and on course performance has proven to me that I need "R" shafts. With that not being an offering in these shafts, just not anything for me to pay attention to. Certainly understand thought that I'm not the target audience for a high powered shaft like these.

Very true! I can see this happening with increased options

I don't really agree with these, more options doesn't mean more confusion for fitters who do such for a living. Plus, remember, it's not like they're just sent shafts randomly and not educated on the profile and traits of them.
James, did you swing any of the G30 drivers with the higher c.g. shaft? How would that compare to the 60B?
I gamed one a whole, and reviewed one. Design premise of the weighting is similar, but there are maaaaaaaany doing this now, however the profile is totally different.

Great review Jman! I am intrigued by the back weighting and would be willing to give it a shot but the price tag is just to much. As you said it is really important to get a proper fitting for any shaft setup. I agree with you that the 60B will fit more golfers because of the weight. Currently I am gaming a 50g in my R11s. Moving to 60 would be a significant difference and 70 would be insane. Hey JB, I wouldn't mind taking another one off of your hands to try out! ;) I have no idea how I missed this one when it came out!

I don't really agree with these, more options doesn't mean more confusion for fitters who do such for a living. Plus, remember, it's not like they're just sent shafts randomly and not educated on the profile and traits of them.

While I agree with what you are saying, I think this is more in regards to the fact that fitters have so many options available to them these days. And while yes, they are trained in each shaft, Chances are during the fitting they may not get to every single shaft and once they arrive on a shaft that works well, in my experience they usually stop there and won't continue the process unless you specifically mention you want to try "X" shaft.

Now this could be an isolated occurrence amongst some fitters and probably doesn't correlate to all fitters but it's just been my experience.

Still hope to get some swings with these at sometime. Sounds like they would fit my swing well.

Back