Meet Team Paradise

Structural for me. Used to be with HDR, then GPD Group. Now a small shop in Cleveland.

You don't work for HDR do you? ;-)
nope, but we may have to talk shop at some time...

the drinks will be on point with this crew so far. (y)
the food and drink piece of the experience threads are one of my favorite parts so I hope to uphold that tradition this year

This has been a great idea. It's a great way to introduce your team to the forum and to let us know some things about them other than they're playing for Team Paradise and they're using Cobra equipment.

@Scooby45 if the distance between your house and my house was a golf hole, what's your club strategy?
So I've given this some thought and have two options given the road layout and the 700 yards as the crow flies between us.

Safe Line:
Shot 1: Forged Tec 5 iron out of the front yard down my street, good club choice to keep the copper looking fresh, looking for around 190 yd or so to get a clear line down the main neighborhood drag
Shots 2 and 3: Radspeed 4 hybrid, chosen as I'm both confident the rails can handle an asphalt lie and I'm pretty accurate with it, hoping to get the roll off the street, looking for around 450 yards out of the two shots, planning for at least one to get a healthy kick off the street
Shot 4: a little cut about 160-180 yards with either the Forged Tec 6 or 7 iron around the house on the corner and into your front yard, hopefully close enough to use the 7 iron if I have a concrete lie as that one already has good battle scars and the 6 iron still looks fresh
Shot 5: How much do you trust me to flop over your house with a full-face grooved 58 deg bent to 59 Snakebite grooved wedge? :cool:

Aggressive Line:
Shot 1: RadSpeed XB driver up over and around my neighbors house with a little fade to avoid his bedroom, looking for a 240 yard carry onto a sidestreet, ideally landing on and getting a big kick off said street to around 300 yards or so. I have around 50 yards between the houses so I should be in play
Shot 2: King Tec 3H with the weight in the neutral setting to get a nice straight run down the next street, playing the downhill roll to around 250
Shot 3: King Tec 3H with the weight in the heel setting to get the highest launch possible to get up over the trees in the backyard of your across the street neighbors with a little baby draw into your backyard, around 230. Just hope that baby draw doesn't curve harder with the heel weight setting and find one of your front windows :eek:

So I've given this some thought and have two options given the road layout and the 700 yards as the crow flies between us.

Safe Line:
Shot 1: Forged Tec 5 iron out of the front yard down my street, good club choice to keep the copper looking fresh, looking for around 190 yd or so to get a clear line down the main neighborhood drag
Shots 2 and 3: Radspeed 4 hybrid, chosen as I'm both confident the rails can handle an asphalt lie and I'm pretty accurate with it, hoping to get the roll off the street, looking for around 450 yards out of the two shots, planning for at least one to get a healthy kick off the street
Shot 4: a little cut about 160-180 yards with either the Forged Tec 6 or 7 iron around the house on the corner and into your front yard, hopefully close enough to use the 7 iron if I have a concrete lie as that one already has good battle scars and the 6 iron still looks fresh
Shot 5: How much do you trust me to flop over your house with a full-face grooved 58 deg bent to 59 Snakebite grooved wedge? :cool:

Aggressive Line:
Shot 1: RadSpeed XB driver up over and around my neighbors house with a little fade to avoid his bedroom, looking for a 240 yard carry onto a sidestreet, ideally landing on and getting a big kick off said street to around 300 yards or so. I have around 50 yards between the houses so I should be in play
Shot 2: King Tec 3H with the weight in the neutral setting to get a nice straight run down the next street, playing the downhill roll to around 250
Shot 3: King Tec 3H with the weight in the heel setting to get the highest launch possible to get up over the trees in the backyard of your across the street neighbors with a little baby draw into your backyard, around 230. Just hope that baby draw doesn't curve harder with the heel weight setting and find one of your front windows :eek:
I should have told you to take a hitting mat with you.

I also have a thing for putt-putt, maybe why my engagement with this site will lead me to a putter collection....

I built this in the backyard of my old house. Course record is 6 over the four holes for those curious. I'm convinced a 5 is out there but could never do it:
pp2.jpgpp4.jpgpp5.jpg

You have a huge decision ahead of you - given that it is a fake name, you can be “E-Chico” (an electronic Chico, I guess) or you can be “etch-i-co” (an eastern inspired brand of drawing supplies, maybe?). Either way, the world is your oyster for introductions.
I have always said it was E Chico.

Like I said in the Morgan Cup thread how can you not root for someone named Scooby? Smiling, jovial, and straight up pleasant.

@Scooby45 - Slow play strategy? Walk out song for the first tee?

Like I said in the Morgan Cup thread how can you not root for someone named Scooby? Smiling, jovial, and straight up pleasant.

@Scooby45 - Slow play strategy? Walk out song for the first tee?
My slow play strategy is to be a member of the Dew Sweeper Army. There isn't ever a tee time 'too early' for me. I'm not trying to be one of those morning jackrabbits but early decreases the odds I have to wait on slow play. Also, ready golf for life. Only time ready golf shouldn't be observed in my opinion and even then maybe only around the green at the amateur level, is match play. We can be in a high stakes stroke play match and if you are ready, go ahead in my book.

Walk out song is tough, not sure if I should embrace my time spent in Detroit or the decade-plus I spent in Georgia. I'd probably land on Sweet Inspiration by Derek Trucks Band. If Captain (@jdtox) wants more of a game face it would be Eminem's Lose Yourself. Although since the plan is me to find a fairway and @echico to drop bombs I'd cede my walk out song to you so you can get amped with a pre-walk out song :cool:

Last edited:
What else you all got today? I'll offer homemade putt putt course construction advice free of charge!

@Scooby45 are you excited about the Bengals this year?

@Scooby45 are you excited about the Bengals this year?
When they are no longer the northernmost team to not have an indoor practice facility I will allow myself to care about Bengals football again. I'm not holding my breath...

@Scooby45
What is the strongest part of your game?
What is the most improved since training for the Morgan Cup?

@Scooby45 we need to get a round together before the event. Running out of time.

I'm not as particular about my gin as it is typically mixed with tonic or others in cocktail whereas bourbon I typically go on the rocks.

That said, Hendrick's is always a good one when out and about but there are a handful of smaller ones that I am a big fan of. One is Karrikin Ora, a local distillery here in Cincinnati. Another is Terra Botanical Gin from Indiana, and the other Town Branch Gin. I stumbled across that one when going to Town Branch for their bourbon tasting. The bourbon left me underwhelmed but I loved the gin. The common theme is that I tend to like the ones that are heavy on the botanicals.

Not sure if you’re tried it, but Aviation gin has a really different finish that’s actually pretty nice. Different, but nice.

Not sure if you’re tried it, but Aviation gin has a really different finish that’s actually pretty nice. Different, but nice.
I had heard that but it’s been a bit. I might just have to go track down a bottle here shortly.

I had heard that but it’s been a bit. I might just have to go track down a bottle here shortly.

It took a bit to find in stores, but it’s doable. If you happen to be out at a restaurant and they have it, nothing wrong with trying before buying haha

@Scooby45
What is the strongest part of your game?
What is the most improved since training for the Morgan Cup?
Arccos would say putting is the strongest part of my game, and the strokes gained get worse in relation to my handicap the farther away I am from the hole. My initial reaction to your question was something along the lines of mentally. I try not to check out of a hole. My friends rub me about my line of “chip and a putt”. If you can do that you can score well, typically. And I guess that makes sense given what Arccos says about my game.

Most improved is probably my wedge game. I feel pretty comfortable with all three Cobra wedges. Working out a wedge matrix to give me options for both pitches and having chipping options is improved from previously when I was just a one trick pony. Plus they are easy out of the sand 😎

It took a bit to find in stores, but it’s doable. If you happen to be out at a restaurant and they have it, nothing wrong with trying before buying haha
Fair, but when it’s a debate which of my girls is the pickier eater between my wife and daughter restaurants aren’t much in my worldview at the moment 🤪

A quick google search shows I need to cross the River into Kentucky to find some. Maybe I just need to trade a tee time for a bottle with @KYgolfer this fall

Last edited:
How would you describe the taste?

How would you describe the taste?

More floral than normal gin for sure. Per a reviewer:

Looking back on Aviation Gin— it’s a bit more juniper forward than others in the contemporary gin explosion. The nose has dull juniper, wet dark boreal forest, lavender and rooty, earthy spice. Although angelica is not one of the botanicals disclosed by House Spirits, Aviation Gin has an aromatic nose that strongly suggests to me angelica root. In any event, it’s a lovely and inviting nose whether a gin purist or a contemporary gin fan.

The palate is where some of Aviation Gin’s spice flourishes are more evident. Notes suggestive of root beer early lead into hints of cinnamon, cassia and a fair bit of cardamom.

Aviation Gin finishes with a floral and earthy spice note, with a very literal hint of birch beer and flamed orange peel. The finish is long and moderately warm.

It's been fun today with the questions that have come in. If I missed any or others pop feel free to ask away.

Another team member is on deck. I know whose coming but I'll leave the forum in suspense ;)

Back