Mitsubishi Chemical MMT Iron Shafts

These are on my ponder list. Of potential shafts in my next set.

My swing speed says I fit the Regular. But I’m concerned 80g might be a bight light for me.
Yup, I’m looking at a spare set for next year and the MMT 105 will be my choice

Yup, I’m looking at a spare set for next year and the MMT 105 will be my choice
did you test them? what did you like about them?

did you test them? what did you like about them?
I have the 105 and 125 in my fitting matrix. The ball seems to jump off the face with a smooth feel. Pretty effortless. Height was fine, spin was a little low but but not enough to care about. The 105 stiff sis not seem too stiff either, felt like it played true to flex. When I compared it to other steel shafts like the ctaper lite, the numbers were very similar but the MMT was better on dispersion.

My OMOI 04 is still making me smile. Made several more birdie putts today.

:)

I have the 105 and 125 in my fitting matrix. The ball seems to jump off the face with a smooth feel. Pretty effortless. Height was fine, spin was a little low but but not enough to care about. The 105 stiff sis not seem too stiff either, felt like it played true to flex. When I compared it to other steel shafts like the ctaper lite, the numbers were very similar but the MMT was better on dispersion.
Any experience with 105S Scoring Wedge? I’m trying to decide whether I go with the 105S Scoring Wedge or 125S eight iron shafts In my SW and LW.

Never tried the scoring wedge shafts sorry. Wedge shafts for me… I would go 125s or maybe 105 tx 8 iron shaft probably. The big weight discrepancy vs, the 105 iron shafts if I went 125 is why I might shy away from TX

Never tried the scoring wedge shafts sorry. Wedge shafts for me… I would go 125s or maybe 105 tx 8 iron shaft probably. The big weight discrepancy vs, the 105 iron shafts if I went 125 is why I might shy away from TX
Thanks for the reply! I got hold of Mitsubishi this morning to ask about the scoring wedge shafts. I was told they are the same profile as the taper tip shafts but with extra tip and butt reinforcement which adds weight. The mid-section is a tiny bit softer to enhance feel. I asked about using a 125G 8i shaft in my wedges. I was told that would work however there would be roughly 15 grams difference in shaft playing weight from 105S to 125S. This weight gap could lead to consistency issues.

Thanks for the reply! I got hold of Mitsubishi this morning to ask about the scoring wedge shafts. I was told they are the same profile as the taper tip shafts but with extra tip and butt reinforcement which adds weight. The mid-section is a tiny bit softer to enhance feel. I asked about using a 125G 8i shaft in my wedges. I was told that would work however there would be roughly 15 grams difference in shaft playing weight from 105S to 125S. This weight gap could lead to consistency issues.
Most people play wedge shafts that are heavier and softer than their set. Cally had the KBs tour v for a while, it was either 120 or 130 I believe. Taylormade uses Dynamic Gold s200 tour issue in the MG3 from last year and that was 130 grams. Don’t go light, it’ll affect your touch around the green. I think others will agree. Even Google it.

As you can see from my updated signature I have gone all in on these.

After my last fitting at Club Champion these were clearly the winner in the irons and I really want to see how they're going to play in the wedges, hybrid and driver.

Gonna be a fun experiment to close out 2023 and begin 2024!

@JB @Jman do you believe there will be a huge performance difference between the 105 g shafts and the 125g?

@JB @Jman do you believe there will be a huge performance difference between the 105 g shafts and the 125g?
Impossible to say as its very much a fitting thing. All about needs.

Not the answer you're looking for, but the truth.

Impossible to say as its very much a fitting thing. All about needs.

Not the answer you're looking for, but the truth.
This is my issue. Cleveland/Srixon offers the 105 as an upgrade shaft choice, but Club Champion fit me into the 125. So, I’m trying to calculate a performance per dollar scenario.

Performance difference? Not really. How they fit someone, very well could be. Im not a MMT user, but they are good shafts. 20 grams of weight is a pretty big difference though.

Ask yourself this. Would you swing a 60g shaft the same as a 40g?

I just had a fitting at PXG and ended up ordering the 0311 P Gen 6 irons with the MMT 105S shafts. They felt better to me than any of the steel shafts and I noticed my dispersion front to back was quite a bit better than the closest steel shaft. First time I had ever tried a graphite iron shaft but really liked it!

Currently gaming the 105TX shafts right now with some Callaway Apex Pros. Loving them so far coming from Steelfiber i125X. I thought going with less weight would be a problem (~115 gram vs ~125), but honestly they feel very similarly balanced and it hasn't been an issue. I've tried the Steelfiber i110Xs and while I like them a lot, they were definitely lighter feeling than the i125 irons. Might be due to the counterbalancing of the SF shafts - I had to use a lot more weight in my TCB iron heads last year to get them up to my desired swingweight.

Also, weirdly I feel like the 105TX is no less stiff than the 125TX (which I have in a test 6-iron). I actually think I like the 105TX better now that I've played them for a bit. I even ordered up some Jaws Raw Black wedges with the same 105TX shaft and really like them so far. I'll probably add a new set of wedges later this year with the 125 Scoring Wedge shafts (I've used it previously and really liked it), but wanted to try out using the same shaft for all of my irons and wedges this year. So far so good. Let me know if any of you have questions on these.

I have played both MMT & SF (current) and I would say the MMT might 10-15% higher although I don’t have a hard time elevating. The MMT’s are comparable to Recoils IMO.

Do you find the MMT more stable than the Recoil? I don’t find the Recoil quite as stable as the SF.

I heard that Phil Michelson is playing with MMT shafts in his irons and wedges this past week. Wondering if the lasted after the first round 🫨!

Do you find the MMT more stable than the Recoil? I don’t find the Recoil quite as stable as the SF.

I have a set of irons with Recoil 110 F5s (hard-stepped) and they don't feel as stable as MMT 105TX or 125TX. Definitely not loose or anything, but if I had to go based on feeling of stability I'd say:

Recoil 110 < SF i110 <= MMT 105 <= MMT 125 < SF i125

If I had to give them a "stability rating" I'd say the Recoil 110s are like a 6.5/10, and the SF i125 are like an 8.5/10. The rest are somewhere in the middle. Nice thing about the MMTs is that they are about as smooth as Recoil while being a bit more stable and predictable (for me). The SF i125 can have a bit of harshness through impact that I don't love, despite their good stability.

This is my issue. Cleveland/Srixon offers the 105 as an upgrade shaft choice, but Club Champion fit me into the 125. So, I’m trying to calculate a performance per dollar scenario.

I had the same issue when ordering my Callaway irons. I chose to give the 105TX a shot knowing I could always pull them and sell them to purchase the 125s without too much headache. Now I'm glad that I went that route - I don't find the 105TX any less stable than the 125TX. I also don't really have an issue with the weight feeling too low like I do with the Recoil 110, SF i110, and the Catalyst 100 shafts I've tried before. To me they even feel heavier through the swing than LAGP L-Series (120 grams) and similar to SF i125. I think it's due to the heavier tip weighting of the MMT shafts contributing to a more ideal swingweight once built up.

I am trying to decide between the mmt 105 and the TGI 95, both Cleveland options. I am getting older and want to transition to graphite. My previous two shafts have been PX 6.0 and C Taper 120 stiffs.

Which do you think is better? I like a stiffer tip due to my unique swing. 6' 4" and more of a sweeper, not much divot.

Last edited:
Is this essentially a direct competitor would you say too the steelfibers? I mean essentially the Aerotechs are a metal mesh as well right? Not quite as harsh as a steel shaft, but not quite as soft feeling as a full graphite at impact?

Is this essentially a direct competitor would you say too the steelfibers? I mean essentially the Aerotechs are a metal mesh as well right? Not quite as harsh as a steel shaft, but not quite as soft feeling as a full graphite at impact?
Nah. These are their own thing having worked with both pretty extensively. These play like graphite, because they are, they simply have metal mesh in the tip section.

I am trying to decide between the mmt 105 and the TGI 95, both Cleveland options. I am getting older and want to transition to graphite. My previous two shafts have been PX 6.0 and C Taper 120 stiffs.

Which do you think is better? I like a stiffer tip due to my unique swing. 6' 4" and more of a sweeper, not much divot.
Better depends on the swing. There’s never a
Hard and fast better or worse for everyone.

That said I replied to your other thread but will here too just in case. CT is one of the most punishing shafts ever made when it comes to your body, and for most, traditional PX is right behind it. They’re also low/flat trajectory driven. Neither of the two options totally check that box, but, of the two it’s 105’s all day over PGI imo. They’re still going to be flat-ish launchers, but with way more feel and elite consistency.

I am getting older and want to transition to graphite.

6' 4" and more of a sweeper, not much divot.
Are we the same person? I’m also 6’4”, don’t take big divots and just switched to graphite because I’m getting older.

Yesterday I got to actually hit more that a few balls with my new iron with mmt 125tx. I was hitting off a mat. The hands and elbows feel fantastic today.

I went 125 because I was afraid of going too light and didn’t want to change too many variables at the same time. Now that I have them I’m curious about trying a 105.

Are we the same person? I’m also 6’4”, don’t take big divots and just switched to graphite because I’m getting older.

Yesterday I got to actually hit more that a few balls with my new iron with mmt 125tx. I was hitting off a mat. The hands and elbows feel fantastic today.

I went 125 because I was afraid of going too light and didn’t want to change too many variables at the same time. Now that I have them I’m curious about trying a 105.
My thoughts exactly. Only manufacturer I see with the 125 is Taylormade. Thinking the P790's.

My thoughts exactly. Only manufacturer I see with the 125 is Taylormade. Thinking the P790's.
Why the fear of lighter? Youre talking four nickels of weight? Swing weights will still be the same, and that’s what most people actually feel.

Back