Mitsubishi Chemical MMT Iron Shafts

Let's see if you get fit into graphite! 4-5 mph isn't anything to sneeze at. That's awesome!

I play graphite now and will continue to! I wanted to have an idea of what worked to be prepared.

I was kind of surprised Ping doesn’t offer these as an upgrade option

Ive been in these in my irons for about a year. I really like them. Super stable and so consistent.

At my last Callaway fitting these are what I got fit into. Maybe for new irons in 2023?

1669683559302.jpeg

I played steelfibers in the iron set before the MMT and I think MMT feels similar in a lot of ways. Maybe it’s that they are both not steel. Lol. Surprisingly never compared actual bend profiles, but the fitter suggested them so that was it.

I really like my MMT 95S and the 105 scoring wedge shafts. So good! My driver SS is over 105MPH and these 95S hold up to it very well.

My Grandaddy irons have the MMT 85 in regular flex in them. I have a few rounds completed with them and so far the results are awesome. These are a bit heavier than my last iron shafts which were 75g. This shaft works well for me and I love the feel. I am hitting more greens and the ball flight is perfect. These are a great combo with the Paradym irons. The MMT has a great feel all the way from the back swing, transition and impact.
1327ECBD-EC2E-419B-9A91-03415D675C80.jpeg

THE best graphite iron shaft I ever played!!

I would be interested to hear how they compare to Steelfibers. I like the reliability of the SF but I don't hit the SF high enough or with enough spin.

I would be interested to hear how they compare to Steelfibers. I like the reliability of the SF but I don't hit the SF high enough or with enough spin.

I have played both MMT & SF (current) and I would say the MMT might 10-15% higher although I don’t have a hard time elevating. The MMT’s are comparable to Recoils IMO.

I have played both MMT & SF (current) and I would say the MMT might 10-15% higher although I don’t have a hard time elevating. The MMT’s are comparable to Recoils IMO.

Thanks. I launch the Recoils higher than SF but comparing SF 95s to Recoil 95s I feel the Recoils are a bit looser.

I was kind of surprised Ping doesn’t offer these as an upgrade option
I believe they do. I called Ping customer service recently and asked about re-shafting and they quoted MMT 125TX at around $136 per club for the re-shaft/re-grip

Here’s my dilemma… maybe you guys can help me out.
First off I don’t like the 105s weight so that’s out. My 6 iron swing speed is 89 mph average transition. I like heavier in my irons.
I’ve hit the MMT 125TX from my fitting set and hit it well, loves to go straight and height is fine. Thing is, I know TX is really too much for me to be honest.
So that brings up the real dilemma… 105 TX or 125S? I like the weight of either one. Lighter might get me a few yards, no idea. Does the 105TX play stiffer than the 125S? I’m thinking from reading this thread that it is. Soft stepping the 105TX might not really make a big difference either. But softstepping the 125S once might be good… might also be thinking too much on that last statement and 125S straight in would be the way to go.

thoughts? There’s 11 pages here if people with MMT expertise so let’s hear it. Thx!

First off I don’t like the 105s weight so that’s out. My 6 iron swing speed is 89 mph average transition. I like heavier in my irons.
I’ve hit the MMT 125TX from my fitting set and hit it well, loves to go straight and height is fine. Thing is, I know TX is really too much for me to be honest.
So that brings up the real dilemma… 105 TX or 125S? I like the weight of either one. Lighter might get me a few yards, no idea. Does the 105TX play stiffer than the 125S? I’m thinking from reading this thread that it is. Soft stepping the 105TX might not really make a big difference either. But softstepping the 125S once might be good… might also be thinking too much on that last statement and 125S straight in would be the way to go.

thoughts? There’s 11 pages here if people with MMT expertise so let’s hear it. Thx!

I've tried the 125s, 125tx, and 105tx. I've settled on the 105tx.

I found that the 105tx did play a little stiffer than the 125s which for my swing helped me with all direction dispersion - my dispersion circle got even tighter.

I was worried about the 105tx weight but at 113 they werent too light. I have found that I really liked this weight and flex. The 125tx was very playable, im just getting older and wanted to keep this set for 3-4-5 years. Although in true golf internet problems, have a set of axiom coming in to try :ROFLMAO:

You are looking at profiles that I have never swung. I don’t hit x stiff and I no longer hit iron shafts in the 120 gram category. I have a set of irons with 105 S and might be able to extrapolate with something helpful. To me, the MMTs play less stiff than SteelFibers. However, they feel more like SteelFibers on the spectrum than like Recoils, for comparison. They are very stable shafts. I am actually hitting MMT 80s right now and I have never liked a shaft that is that light, but these hold up super well.

If I were you, in the absence of better information, I would likely pick the flex that tends to suit your swing. If you have been more of a stiff or a stiff hard stepped once, that is what I would choose. If you have been playing X, I would go that direction.

I don't have the answer for you as I’m not in those weight classes lol. I would bet someone will pop in here with some solid advice. I do know that the MMT shafts are fantastic. I hope you get it worked out and find what works best.

I've tried the 125s, 125tx, and 105tx. I've settled on the 105tx.

I found that the 105tx did play a little stiffer than the 125s which for my swing helped me with all direction dispersion - my dispersion circle got even tighter.

I was worried about the 105tx weight but at 113 they werent too light. I have found that I really liked this weight and flex. The 125tx was very playable, im just getting older and wanted to keep this set for 3-4-5 years. Although in true golf internet problems, have a set of axiom coming in to try :ROFLMAO:
At my age I’ve been able to maintain club head speed. I’d like the clubs to last a few years like you mentioned. I hit some with the ctaper lite 110 g and a px IO at 115. Both were good so that’s the bortrom end of weight for me. I have a set of ctaper s+ right now at 125 g and love the way they feel. When I hit my friends ctaper s… 5 grams light and not as stiff it’s a bit better.

In my testing TX is noticeably stiffer than Stiff regardless of weight category so if 125TX was too much, 105TX will likely be the same. I’d go 125 Stiff straight in could work or if you liked the stiffer 125TX when you tested it but don’t want to go TX, the 125 Stiff hard stepped once if you need weight and a bit stiffer shaft.

The bigger question is how will you perform with a 105TX @ 113G versus 125 Stiff @ 124G?

My gut says 125 Stiff hard stepped once.

In my testing TX is noticeably stiffer than Stiff regardless of weight category so if 125TX was too much, 105TX will likely be the same. I’d go 125 Stiff straight in could work or if you liked the stiffer 125TX when you tested it but don’t want to go TX, the 125 Stiff hard stepped once if you need weight and a bit stiffer shaft.

The bigger question is how will you perform with a 105TX @ 113G versus 125 Stiff @ 124G?

My gut says 125 Stiff hard stepped once.
Still toying around in my mind. I just sold off my TAylormade P7TW combo set with the ctaper S+. I luckily re-stumbled onto your reply… maybe it’s a sign. I’ve just hit the 125 g c taper so straight, and now that they are gone I have my TM demo P7TW with the s400 tour issue and it also goes dead straight. Height it fine too.

What you said about the TX flex in the 105 being stiffer than the 125 is something I was wondering about, so thank you. The 113-115g I would hate to have not do the trick. The 105s MMT felt flimsy, too tip heavy. The 125 TX I hit didn’t give me that. I’m leaning toward the 125 straight in

Last edited:
Finally had an opportunity to have a little shootout. We didn’t have any ctapers which was disappointing but this was good.
I hit a KBS Tour S 120
PX 6.0
MMT 125 Tx
MMT 105s

As I thought, I don’t like the lighter weight. The MMT 105 again was inconsistent and I’m one of those people who do not gain speed with lighter iron shafts. I grabbed the KBS Tour because it was 120g… but more because I wanted to see what the softer tip did. Well it did nothing but feel awful, like a wet noodle.

I’ve always hit the px 6.0 good… even better than the 5.5 which should be better for me on paper. And like I said before, the MMT 125TX went well last time I tried it but didn’t have any numbers. So today was numbers day.

I’m not a big guy, 5’5” and 140 lbs plays I’m north of 60.

The MMT amd PX 6.0 were nearly identical. Crazy close. Difference of .5 in every category.
Ball speed 119
Height 30 yards
Launch 17.5
Spin 5000 with crap range balls
Delivered loft of 22.5 degrees
Landing angle of 45 degrees
AOA -1 , -1.5

Insane that these wereTrackman numbers for 2 different clubs. So even though I was hitting the TX, I’d go stiff just to get a bit more spin. Nice to have them so identical that the only factor to play into the decision is feel and how graphite is better on the body. MMT 125 wins

I have these in 105TX in my irons now. Coming from $ taper which I never really liked. These feel and look great and they are very stable and smooth. My launch has increased and the pain I was starting to experience in my elbow has started to dwindle which is a bonus.

Going to be an interesting shootout this fall, as I go with the mmt 95s for the first time in my new Alex pRo/CB, vs the KBS Tour lite that I just built in the rogue st pro heads.

I will say, I really really liked the 85r mmt

some if the best shafts I ever played in irons.

Going to be an interesting shootout this fall, as I go with the mmt 95s for the first time in my new Alex pRo/CB, vs the KBS Tour lite that I just built in the rogue st pro heads.

I will say, I really really liked the 85r mmt

I am really liking my MMT 85R in my Paradym Irons. They are smooth as can be and work well for my swing.

I’ve never hit the MMT shafts until this afternoon. I’m impressed. The 125TX gave me my best overall numbers and dispersion. UST Dart V was very similar also.
IMG_0502.png

Back