Mitsubishi Chemical MMT Iron Shafts

Happily....you just have to wait two months! Lol

Feel your pain. Majorly.

I have some of the MMT 80s in a set of PXG 0211’s that I’m just itching to square up.

I had them for about 20 minutes on Trackman. Unfortunately my swing was hot trash that day and while I carried PW about 158 I was only carrying 5i (at 21*) 169. Ha.

I need to hit them when I don’t suck for a minute or two.

So what is the latest on the shafts? I'll be demoing some Ping stuff with a Ping rep tomorrow morning but if nothing can beat my current setup on the G425 line I'm considering trying to give the PXG 0211 a try with the MMT in them. I've got the Recoil Smacwrap 780 now in my G700 so I was wondering how those shafts will react. I feel like they might launch a little too high in my current setup but I'll confirm that tomorrow on the Foresight.

So what is the latest on the shafts? I'll be demoing some Ping stuff with a Ping rep tomorrow morning but if nothing can beat my current setup on the G425 line I'm considering trying to give the PXG 0211 a try with the MMT in them. I've got the Recoil Smacwrap 780 now in my G700 so I was wondering how those shafts will react. I feel like they might launch a little too high in my current setup but I'll confirm that tomorrow on the Foresight.

I have a set of 0211’s with MMT 80s in them. I’d say they’re a little looser to flex than the Recoil 780’s (I have these in a set too, lol) but don’t forget that creating lag is another way to flatten out a shot some. I wouldn’t rule them out until you hit them. To me it’s not apples to apples. It’s more of a feel thing. Both fit certain parts of my swing. I could play either.

I have a set of 0211’s with MMT 80s in them. I’d say they’re a little looser to flex than the Recoil 780’s (I have these in a set too, lol) but don’t forget that creating lag is another way to flatten out a shot some. I wouldn’t rule them out until you hit them. To me it’s not apples to apples. It’s more of a feel thing. Both fit certain parts of my swing. I could play either.
Interesting. I would have thought the MMT might have played a bit more stout to flex than the Recoil. I'm going to be demoing the G425 against my G700 so I'll see what the baseline is with my current ones. I know my swing has changed recently and at the end of my last session I was getting 140-145 carry on my 7i with around 4k spin. The Foresight just wasn't displaying the things like my shot height and swing speed on the screen

Interesting. I would have thought the MMT might have played a bit more stout to flex than the Recoil.
I found this to be the case but everyone's swing can activate them differently. I have the MMT 85s tapers in R flex (did this based on the presumed stouter than stated flex) and previously had the Recoil ES Smacwrap 780 F4(stiff). They feel close to the same flex as what I was used to. Maybe a little less since they are Rs but I would say to me personally, they play more stout and close to others S flex. But that could be more the taper version than the parallel. Can't fully speak to that though since I've never tried the parallel version.

I found this to be the case but everyone's swing can activate them differently. I have the MMT 85s tapers in R flex (did this based on the presumed stouter than stated flex) and previously had the Recoil ES Smacwrap 780 F4(stiff). They feel close to the same flex as what I was used to. Maybe a little less since they are Rs but I would say to me personally, they play more stout and close to others S flex. But that could be more the taper version than the parallel. Can't fully speak to that though since I've never tried the parallel version.
They do say the taper version is lower launch and sin than the parallel version so there could be something to that. I have the F3 in the 780. Being a Ping they would be the taper tip version for the 780. I don't know how different the taper and parallel version react on the 780.

Interesting. I would have thought the MMT might have played a bit more stout to flex than the Recoil. I'm going to be demoing the G425 against my G700 so I'll see what the baseline is with my current ones. I know my swing has changed recently and at the end of my last session I was getting 140-145 carry on my 7i with around 4k spin. The Foresight just wasn't displaying the things like my shot height and swing speed on the screen

Ehhh, take my swing for what it is. It’ll feel stout to me if the middle doesn’t give when my ugly/violent transition happens. I feel less give in the Recoils. Maybe they play more to flex than my swing plays them? I dunno. I do know there’s a certain point in the the swing with the MMT’s when I’m going after it (long iron 105+ CHS) where the Recoils feel like they can take it and the MMT’s don’t. I never felt that I was overpowering the Recoils.

The MMT’s felt like a noodle, but that may just be a loose middle and me being a violent swinger.

I'm thinking about ordering the 0211s with the 80gm stiff MMTs soft stepped twice. How would that work compared to the recoil F3s that I have in my apex 16s?

I'm looking for slightly firmer and slightly heavier.

If one soft soft step world do this that's also ok by me.

Please advise.
Thanks

I'm thinking about ordering the 0211s with the 80gm stiff MMTs soft stepped twice. How would that work compared to the recoil F3s that I have in my apex 16s?

I'm looking for slightly firmer and slightly heavier.

If one soft soft step world do this that's also ok by me.

Please advise.
Thanks

Hard to know for sure, but I think you would be OK going that direction. I tested the MMT 80 stiff in some PXG irons, and I had no problem with them being too soft, but I did have an issue with the weight. I am more of a 95-105g iron shaft guy, so I had an issue with the lighter weight. For you, coming from lighter than the MMT 80, you should have no such issue. If you are looking for more of a softer flex, then sure, SS 2X. If you are just looking for a bit of a softer S flex, then maybe just SS 1X. Good luck.

Hard to know for sure, but I think you would be OK going that direction. I tested the MMT 80 stiff in some PXG irons, and I had no problem with them being too soft, but I did have an issue with the weight. I am more of a 95-105g iron shaft guy, so I had an issue with the lighter weight. For you, coming from lighter than the MMT 80, you should have no such issue. If you are looking for more of a softer flex, then sure, SS 2X. If you are just looking for a bit of a softer S flex, then maybe just SS 1X. Good luck.
Thanks, si to be clear, ss2x won't make them, regular, they'll be sort of r+, closer to r than s? Without degrading whatever the shaft should do, so to speak?

Thanks, si to be clear, ss2x won't make them, regular, they'll be sort of r+, closer to r than s? Without degrading whatever the shaft should do, so to speak?

I'm no club-building expert, but from what I understand, I think you are generally correct on the flex part. SS2x maybe won't go down a full flex, but close to it or at least between flexes. When you say degrading, it is not like the integrity of the shaft or build will be compromised by ss2x. But it likely will have some effect on launch (higher), maybe weight. Call PXG, see if they have any insight.

Anyone have any experience with the MMT scoring wedge or the MMT iron taper in your wedges? Followed along here and with the Apex 21 threads and now that I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the Apex, thinking of wedges.

I have the MMT 105TX in Apex MB PW and AW. I've had one round with the PW, and none with the AW so far. Got them last November and been idle since. I would offer that I don't really have enough experience to comment.

@radiman Hey, I wanted to add a point to my feedback to you on the MMTs. A point one may not realize/consider. The tips of these shafts have a very small bore hole, so you cant really add tips weights if needed. So if you have special build needs, something to really consider .
I just installed my T100S 5 iron and the swing weight is D0. Have not built any others yet, but curious how they may play out.

@radiman Hey, I wanted to add a point to my feedback to you on the MMTs. A point one may not realize/consider. The tips of these shafts have a very small bore hole, so you cant really add tips weights if needed. So if you have special build needs, something to really consider .
I just installed my T100S 5 iron and the swing weight is D0. Have not built any others yet, but curious how they may play out.

I know it looks crappy and I am sure you know this but lead tape is an easy fix to that problem if you love the shafts. I would imagine on fresh builds the manufacturers have a way to get the swingweight they are looking for.

I know it looks crappy and I am sure you know this but lead tape is an easy fix to that problem if you love the shafts. I would imagine on fresh builds the manufacturers have a way to get the swingweight they are looking for.
Of course. Def ruins the looks but of course an option. Also, I believe tungsten powder down the shaft is an option, but I’m not sure how far down it can get. Tungsten powder might be the nicest option.

I've got a couple of rounds now with the 105TX. Paired with Apex MB's, I'm infatuated. The weight, the balance, and the way they swing seems to work really well for me. And paired with the MB, they provide a level of damping and solidity that combines for a feel I'm not sure I've experienced before. This is the first set of blade's I've shafted with graphite, but the MMT's are giving all of the comfort of strike you'd hope for, with excellent stability and feedback. The MB heads as one would expect add to outstanding feel if you hit it reasonably well. The tension is nice for the way I load a shaft and what I want out of it, it that makes sense. The ball flights and workability on course are great, lots of control in the wind and easy to keep the ball down. The feel of the two together just shines.

Just rebuilt the T100S irons with the MMT 125 shafts. Curious to see how they pair up....

These MMTs are phenominal. I've been testing them a ton the last week and I'm smitten.

Getting to hit these in PXG gen4 irons this weekend. Looking forward to how they work, not sure of the profile he has in them but they are stiff I believe.

Getting to hit these in PXG gen4 irons this weekend. Looking forward to how they work, not sure of the profile he has in them but they are stiff I believe.

I will be interested in your feedback on them I kind of have my eye on them as an option and almost bought the set out of the Marketplace this week.

My MMT 125 iron stiff shafts this week after being installed by a Club Champion fitter and I’m absolutely in love! Launch is mid to high just like I prefer and feel is so solid! Ball just wants to go dead straight. 😁 Let’s see if I can eliminate these hooks. 😂 More testing to come but initial testing is extremely positive. Hoping to get on launch monitor this week.

I also had the TX wedge shafts installed and looking forward to testing these out on course.

Last edited:
I pulled my 125 stiff out of my T100S irons. Perhaps it was done a bit prematurely, as at the time I was struggling with the ole swing.

I do intend to revisit them once I buy my new irons....

Back