was leaning forged for most of the time or a combo set.... the hot metal pros just scream forged with more forgiveness to lately. My goal is more forgiveness on non pure contact vs my 59s

been hard deciding versus knowing I wanted to try there HMBs in the 20s
I had a buddy go from straight MBs to the HMBs and found the results to be spectacular. Obviously to each their own, but I really don't know how long you're going to ponder a combo set once the HMBs get in the bag haha

was leaning forged for most of the time or a combo set.... the hot metal pros just scream forged with more forgiveness to lately. My goal is more forgiveness on non pure contact vs my 59s

can't lie I've been trying to build a HMB / Forged or HMP combo & haven't had the best input.... Glad to hear Chris does a HMB tour granted he's clearly a superior ball striker
I would strongly recommend tuning into the THP Showcase on Mizuno Monday.

I feel like all areas of my game are improving while iron game is regressing for some reason, so just looking for as much "help" as I can get while satisfying what I like out of an iron still

can't lie I've been trying to build a HMB / Forged or HMP combo & haven't had the best input.... Glad to hear Chris does a HMB tour granted he's clearly a superior ball striker

Remember, Hot Metal Pros are not forged chromoly. 921F are forged chromoly through 7i

Remember, Hot Metal Pros are not forged chromoly. 921F are forged chromoly through 7i

I agree, just see so much on how they don't sacrifice feel as much, etc... trust me I can't make up my mind lol

I'm also (just assuming here) I'll be comboing & if I did go forged they'd be for the lower irons that aren't forged chromoly anyway right? (8-PW)

Morning range session is in the books. A few things rattling around my head so it's easier for me to bullet point out my thoughts. I'm not a great iron player. I am average at best, so take my comments into consideration. For reference my set makeup is 5-7 HMP | 8-PW Forged.

• Mizunos are lookers. I have never played a set of Mizunos and I have always admired them from a looks perspective. Whatever you think about Mizuno irons looking like, these hit the mark. Clean and classic is the best way to describe them.
  • The size is not overly intimidating at all. Coming from a CF-19 combo set, the HMP 5-7 looks similar at address. It could be the finish, but felt like the HMP had a thicker topline and presented a larger footprint at address. Nothing that would make me think they are too big or didn't fit my eye, but that was the first thing I noticed. Keep in mind I am not overly obsessive on iron topline or composition. I know what I like and it will take something really SGI to make me not like the looks of it.
  • Sound and feel go hand in hand IMO. We always hear that Mizuno make great feeling irons, and these did not disappoint. Again my first ever experience with a Mizuno and the reputation held up. The Apex Pro irons feel incredibly well and you virtually never feel the ball leaving the face when struck well. The 921 Forged felt the same if not better. Granted these were pretty firm range balls so it's tough to get a better idea, but I didn't feel any type of harshness or clickiness from any of irons, HMP or Forged.
  • Distance gains is not what I am after. I am not a player that will overpower a course. I know what I want from each club distance wise and I am not trying to gain anything drastic. Of course I will welcome a few yards here and there, but I am not trying to get my 7i to fly 170 or something crazy like that. I paced off the flags from the markers on the range to get an idea of yardages. Through the bag each iron hit the number I needed and on well struck shot I would guess I saw about 5 or so extra yards. I think the biggest eye opener were the 8-PW. I saw some bigger jumps in carry that carried over into the longer irons so I was happy that the yardages didn't overlap.
  • I am playing these with the UST Recoil 95's. This is a shaft I am very familiar/comfortable with and the pairing is really spot on. Coming from the Elevate Tours, I was afraid I would not launch these as high and cost me some carry, but that wasn't the case. I hit balls from various positions in my stance and could flight these very easy. On well struck 7i shots I was consistently carrying the 145 flag and landing close to the 155-160 range, which is right in line with my current 7i. The best part was that the flight was not too low and if I had to describe it I would say it got up in the air really fast and held its line on a nice trajectory.
  • Forgiveness was surprising. I expected to give up some forgiveness with my scoring clubs (8-PW) given the design. As expected the HMP performed well on mishits. I hit several shots heavy or not at the center of the face and wasn't penalized distance wise. The ball still got out there to a respectable distance given the poor strikes. I am very pleased with what I saw.
Overall it was a good first session and I am tempering my experience. Not because I am not happy or for any negative reasons. I am not a range rat and use the range to try and keep my swing in some sort of consistency. Range sessions rarely give me anything useful in terms of on course experience. That being said I am impressed with my first swings with the 921 line. I have a round set for Sunday and I am anxious to hit these with my golf ball of choice (2020 CSX) and see what the results are. Specifically the spin and distance because since I have gone to the CSX i have gained 1/2 - 1 club in distance and spinning the ball really well. That's all I got. any questions feel free to ask away.

I'm also (just assuming here) I'll be comboing & if I did go forged they'd be for the lower irons that aren't forged chromoly anyway right? (8-PW)

You can, but why? The HMB are very nice in the short irons.

Well.. let’s get the experimenting begun!
Amazing deal on MPs thanks to @Tenputt
& my Mizuno buddy just messaged me offering me 921 HMPs 4-Gap for 700+ ship

sold a Scotty I didn’t really want to but hey, she wasn’t being used

santas coming this week

need a link or can you handle?

I think I'll manage 😂 Good thing I've got 2 feet of fresh powder to slow me down. Yet these have in fact been a hard ponder for several months. I'm tolling the marketplace through March :cool:

I think I'll manage 😂 Good thing I've got 2 feet of fresh powder to slow me down. Yet these have in fact been a hard ponder for several months. I'm tolling the marketplace through March :cool:
I thought it was a done deal.

Morning range session is in the books. A few things rattling around my head so it's easier for me to bullet point out my thoughts. I'm not a great iron player. I am average at best, so take my comments into consideration. For reference my set makeup is 5-7 HMP | 8-PW Forged.

• Mizunos are lookers. I have never played a set of Mizunos and I have always admired them from a looks perspective. Whatever you think about Mizuno irons looking like, these hit the mark. Clean and classic is the best way to describe them.
  • The size is not overly intimidating at all. Coming from a CF-19 combo set, the HMP 5-7 looks similar at address. It could be the finish, but felt like the HMP had a thicker topline and presented a larger footprint at address. Nothing that would make me think they are too big or didn't fit my eye, but that was the first thing I noticed. Keep in mind I am not overly obsessive on iron topline or composition. I know what I like and it will take something really SGI to make me not like the looks of it.
  • Sound and feel go hand in hand IMO. We always hear that Mizuno make great feeling irons, and these did not disappoint. Again my first ever experience with a Mizuno and the reputation held up. The Apex Pro irons feel incredibly well and you virtually never feel the ball leaving the face when struck well. The 921 Forged felt the same if not better. Granted these were pretty firm range balls so it's tough to get a better idea, but I didn't feel any type of harshness or clickiness from any of irons, HMP or Forged.
  • Distance gains is not what I am after. I am not a player that will overpower a course. I know what I want from each club distance wise and I am not trying to gain anything drastic. Of course I will welcome a few yards here and there, but I am not trying to get my 7i to fly 170 or something crazy like that. I paced off the flags from the markers on the range to get an idea of yardages. Through the bag each iron hit the number I needed and on well struck shot I would guess I saw about 5 or so extra yards. I think the biggest eye opener were the 8-PW. I saw some bigger jumps in carry that carried over into the longer irons so I was happy that the yardages didn't overlap.
  • I am playing these with the UST Recoil 95's. This is a shaft I am very familiar/comfortable with and the pairing is really spot on. Coming from the Elevate Tours, I was afraid I would not launch these as high and cost me some carry, but that wasn't the case. I hit balls from various positions in my stance and could flight these very easy. On well struck 7i shots I was consistently carrying the 145 flag and landing close to the 155-160 range, which is right in line with my current 7i. The best part was that the flight was not too low and if I had to describe it I would say it got up in the air really fast and held its line on a nice trajectory.
  • Forgiveness was surprising. I expected to give up some forgiveness with my scoring clubs (8-PW) given the design. As expected the HMP performed well on mishits. I hit several shots heavy or not at the center of the face and wasn't penalized distance wise. The ball still got out there to a respectable distance given the poor strikes. I am very pleased with what I saw.
Overall it was a good first session and I am tempering my experience. Not because I am not happy or for any negative reasons. I am not a range rat and use the range to try and keep my swing in some sort of consistency. Range sessions rarely give me anything useful in terms of on course experience. That being said I am impressed with my first swings with the 921 line. I have a round set for Sunday and I am anxious to hit these with my golf ball of choice (2020 CSX) and see what the results are. Specifically the spin and distance because since I have gone to the CSX i have gained 1/2 - 1 club in distance and spinning the ball really well. That's all I got. any questions feel free to ask away.
Great overview! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Will definitely be doing something a bit later in the year with Mizuno.... feel is soooo good in their irons!

I just picked up my combo set of Forged and HMB, and they are so sexy looking! They are a little tougher to hit than my old Hot Metals, but the feel is amazing. The Recoil shafts feel great too.

I just picked up my combo set of Forged and HMB, and they are so sexy looking! They are a little tougher to hit than my old Hot Metals, but the feel is amazing. The Recoil shafts feel great too.

MP 20 MHB -- > 921 forged? Sick

My first round is in the books with my 921’s. A few thoughts:

- if I was impressed with the feel from hitting range balls, I am really out of adjectives on how to describe them with the CSX. The ball jumps off the face and there is a nice feeling of a well struck iron shot. No “click” or harsh sound/feel at impact.
- turf interaction was great. Today’s round was pretty wet and soggy. We got a good thunderstorm that blew threw last night leaving the course saturated and in spots with standing water. Shot after shot the club delivered. I did have some heavy shots when I got too steep with my swing, but the club still got through ok and didn’t get “stuck” in the turf.
- it’s a little early, but distances are spot on for what I need. I didn’t get any extra rollout with soft conditions so I got a good idea of what carry looks like with each iron. The 5-7 HMP’s are so easy to hit and pack quite the punch distance wise. On well struck shots my 6i was going 180 and I hit my 5i to a 190 number a couple of times. Of course I’m not hitting perfect shots each time and the distances I saw on those shots were good and not penalizing. The 8-PW clubs hit the numbers I needed and throughout the set I saw great launch and spin.

Overall I really like what I saw today. I’m anxious to get these on some normal conditions, but given how soft it was I am ecstatic with what I saw. I keep coming back to great they feel. I commented today that I don’t feel the ball leave the face. I swing and then look up to see the flight. I guess that’s what people mean when they mention the “Mizuno” feel.

My first round is in the books with my 921’s. A few thoughts:

- if I was impressed with the feel from hitting range balls, I am really out of adjectives on how to describe them with the CSX. The ball jumps off the face and there is a nice feeling of a well struck iron shot. No “click” or harsh sound/feel at impact.
- turf interaction was great. Today’s round was pretty wet and soggy. We got a good thunderstorm that blew threw last night leaving the course saturated and in spots with standing water. Shot after shot the club delivered. I did have some heavy shots when I got too steep with my swing, but the club still got through ok and didn’t get “stuck” in the turf.
- it’s a little early, but distances are spot on for what I need. I didn’t get any extra rollout with soft conditions so I got a good idea of what carry looks like with each iron. The 5-7 HMP’s are so easy to hit and pack quite the punch distance wise. On well struck shots my 6i was going 180 and I hit my 5i to a 190 number a couple of times. Of course I’m not hitting perfect shots each time and the distances I saw on those shots were good and not penalizing. The 8-PW clubs hit the numbers I needed and throughout the set I saw great launch and spin.

Overall I really like what I saw today. I’m anxious to get these on some normal conditions, but given how soft it was I am ecstatic with what I saw. I keep coming back to great they feel. I commented today that I don’t feel the ball leave the face. I swing and then look up to see the flight. I guess that’s what people mean when they mention the “Mizuno” feel.
This is great feedback

The 921 HMP got a workout yesterday, just the 7 iron though. They are one of the most addicting irons I have tried to date.
While I dont normally have much in the way of price point, theirs is rock solid.

Question..

the 921 Forged I thought was said to be the first chromology forged iron? Or am I all confused since I own too many now :confused:

Question..

the 921 Forged I thought was said to be the first chromology forged iron? Or am I all confused since I own too many now :confused:

the way I understand it is that the Forged are the first iron to be forged from chromoly materials. Those smarter than I can correct me if I’m wrong.

Back