It took about 4 or 5 weeks back in October when I ordered mine.

Luckily I won't be waiting that long. Stock everything = shipped last night.

There's no way I'd trade my irons in without getting the new ones first, you're a brave man.

Looks like it was a mistake for sure since I just called and they still have no idea when they are coming. Sunday will be 7 weeks since ordering and I was told 4-5. And now I'm getting uncomfortably close to a golf trip and don't have any irons.

I need Judy

Anyway, enough of my sob story.

For those guys who have been playing the Forged for at least a little while, what are your thoughts on them? Anything you like the most about them? Any area where you feel they could be a little better? Have you found mishits to be pretty forgiving for this size of iron?

I didn’t score well yesterday, but I tested the forgiveness yesterday. Windy day and the ball was not ballooning or getting hung up. If I needed to flight one low I could with easy with the 5-7 irons.

the forged GW is quickly becoming my favorite club. It’s very versatile inside of 120 for me.

I’ve played mmc 18 and mmc 20. Currently bagging a set of the hmb. My 921 hot metals (non pro) are inbound. Embracing the GI.

Was just told another 7 to 10 business days before they even ship. Which means despite ordering on February 14 and being told ~5 weeks I will not have them in time for my dads 75th birthday trip next weekend. To say I am disappointed in Mizuno would be a drastic understatement.

Last edited:
Today was a special day. The day my Jpx-921 Hot Metals were due to arrive. Ordered last Thursday from Golf Town (online) after a decision affirming session in a simulator.

UPS dropped off shortly 8 am while I was dropping the son off at daycare, and I raced home to grab the box off the step.
20210407_083537.jpg

After shopping for a bit, I headed back home for an unboxing. Gorgeous day out, so I headed out onto the deck for an short little video and some pictures in the sunshine.

20210407_102159.jpg
20210407_110510.jpg
20210407_110831.jpg
20210407_110939.jpg
20210407_111233.jpg
20210407_111400.jpg

How it will usually hit the course this year? With my trusty old THP pinstripe cover back on the bag
20210407_111818.jpg

It honestly has been years since I last unboxed gear. Even then, it was probably a set of Burner 2.0 HP years ago. Bought well after release, but that was my last new set of irons. Everything since has been used. I cannot put into words how excited I was for these to arrive. It was a long time coming. The fitting that I did to fit me for these was received as a 40th birthday gift, and a year later I actually got in to do the fitting (this past October). I then waited until a week ago to head in, just to reconfirm the fitting recommendations (coming from graphite I had big questions), ordered that day, and received today.

Initially, all I could think was WOW. These are gorgeous. Even with the plastic still on them, I was just in awe of how good they looked.
I figured it was a good opportunity for a fresh set of WITB pictures, with the irons getting their slots first, and everything else added in afterwards. Even took the opportunity to crack open the bag on my SWAG Canadian King cover, that will need to get some use this year.

This afternoon I headed out to the range for the first time this year. The results? Honestly, exactly how I thought they would be...... hot garbage. 100% forgot how to swing since last week, hosel rockets, toe, heel, fat, thin..... awesome. I will say though, I hate the range this time of year. It is absolutely packed, hitting off hardpan because the grass hasn't come in yet. Neither putting nor chipping green in use because it is too early in the season. The first session of the year ends up bad for me with the irons without fail every year (driver was a completely different story). I will typically do pitch/chip swings with clubs if I am not making good contact to try and regain some form, but even today that was not working..... welcome to hosel town, population: me.

Ignoring the garbage range session, I am stoked to get out on the course for the first time. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Rain in the forecast for the weekend, and we desperately need it for things to green up and freshen up a lot.

Am I a Mizuno convert? Hopefully. The gains I saw at the simulator last week, as well as the fitting in October were staggering (fitting was ball speed increase of 6 mph, simulator last week was showing close to 8-9 mph on average). My first foray into Mizuno, hopefully will end up with more.

@Mad_Brad aka braddman19 I'm betting you will love them , I loving mine so far.

I was able to get in 9 holes after the rain and before the High school team had their meet. Had a stellar day striking the clubs today. Really getting comfortable with the X stiff C-Taper Lites paired with the 921's. Highlights for me were two 7 iron shot directly into a 20 mph wind.
One 165 yards and the other 159 yard. The first I ended pin high to the right and the second, hit the green pin high and it ran out another 20ft.
The Pro Gap wedge continues to be the star so far overall. And the 9 Pro iron is also a very versatile club also. Still working on nailing down distances with all the clubs. Especially with the high winds we have been having. Today with the wind I hit the 9 iron 156 yards to within 6 feet of the pin and a birdie. The 9, PW, GW in the Pros have been very tight dispersion wise and when the wind is down, very good distance wise also.

Anyone hit the Forged compared to the ZX7/ZX5?

I have the 921 forged and the ZX-7s with the exact same shafts. 921 F a little more forgiving on off center hits. For me, they're about 3 yards longer, which makes sense with the loft difference. I would give the feel to the Srixon though. The 921s are a little duller and soft feeling where the srixons are crisp and soft. Both feel good and i think it's kind of subjective.

My course has quick firm greens and i have found sometimes even with the good descent angles of the 921s i have difficulty holding greens. I think the Srixons are a little bit better so I've been using the 921s and Srixons interchangeably. Sometimes the long irons are the forged, sometimes the whole set is ZX7s.

Can't go wrong with either.

I’m playing the Forged and reviewed the 7’s for the homepage.

These are more forgiving by a decent chunk, the 7’s contrary to what many want to admit are a true forged cavity back players iron and as such they’ve just got some demand to them by nature, still good, very good, but they’re still players irons.

These walk in between categories. Longer. Less firm feeling. More forgiving. Wider soled than the 7s. They’re as long as the 5’s for me, but without the super low spin and with more workability if that’s your thing.

Id put them in between the 7’s and 5’s classification wise.

I got the forged's out on the course yesterday. The consistency of results with a decent strike has me really impressed through 2 rounds.

I seem to be catching maybe a few more heavy than normal, but at the moment I attribute that to my rusty swing and creaky back.

Thank y’all

So I finally received my irons yesterday. According to the store, Mizuno was entirely out of the Forged heads, and got a shipment in mid last week. After some back and forth with the store, they shipped very quickly. So I ended up receiving them exactly 8 weeks after ordering. Not ideal but most important for me is I will have them for my trip this weekend.

But back to the irons. I have 5-GW in Recoil 95s in Stiff. 1 degree weak. They were mostly built right, I did notice 1 shaft was not aligned exactly properly which kind of bugged me, but will either get that fixed or just deal with it. I took them to the range and then for 9 holes by myself where I hit several balls per hole.

Overall thoughts are that I am very pleased with them. A really nice feel and a nice high ball flight. I find them very easy to hit, even the 5 iron. The only club I seem to be struggling with a bit so far is the PW. It just doesn't quite suit my eye and also felt like I was catching the heel into the ground first a little bit. I'm going to have the lie angle checked on it. Actually might have them all bent 1 degree flat. One thing I was surprised at was how much they spin. I spun back the PW and the GW a few times which is very rare for me for those clubs. Obviously these have brand new grooves on them, but that's still a very good sign for this type of iron. Have a lot of golf coming up this weekend so will have a lot more feedback then.

After two more times out, I am still really impressed with the 921 Forged. What I keep coming back to is the combination of forgiveness, consistency and feedback. Irons hit square are going their number. Irons hit off provide good feedback and are not overly punishing.

My older more game improvement irons were not as consistent. I don’t buy into the hot spot theories, I just think the ‘sweetspot’ was larger and more muted on those, so they all felt good but there was decent strike variation.

I also like that these seems to provide more coverage for when I creep out onto the toe. Others might be turned off by the longer blade length compared to others around this category but it fits me really well.

And those little pitches around the green with the 1025E steel gap wedge....😍

I used my Hot Metal irons for the first time on a course on Tuesday. Some observations include not losing much distance on less than perfect strikes and they sound great. I will need to get them dialed in like the rest of my game, but that's to be expected. I'm also really enjoying getting the extra distance because it inspires more confidence when I can hit a less than full 8 iron for 150 yards rather than a full 7 iron. My teammate was commenting about the irons quite a bit.

Did something I haven’t done in probably 40 years, stupid pandemic. Bought a stock set of 921 HM 4-G off the wall, no fitting or customization, didnt even hit one in a bay. First steel shafts I’ll be playing in a few years, too. Kept my Apex19s, but do find them small and intimidating to look at, wanted a set with a bigger head and the tech. Traded my XRs, dealer knows me well, treated me right, and assured me, if I hate them won’t be any issues replacing. Said they went on the wall today, and they won’t see more for months.

My first Mizunos.

Did something I haven’t done in probably 40 years, stupid pandemic. Bought a stock set of 921 HM 4-G off the wall, no fitting or customization, didnt even hit one in a bay. First steel shafts I’ll be playing in a few years, too. Kept my Apex19s, but do find them small and intimidating to look at, wanted a set with a bigger head and the tech. Traded my XRs, dealer knows me well, treated me right, and assured me, if I hate them won’t be any issues replacing. Said they went on the wall today, and they won’t see more for months.

My first Mizunos.
I truly think you’ll enjoy them. The HM have got a lot of forgiveness in a fun package.

I truly think you’ll enjoy them. The HM have got a lot of forgiveness in a fun package.

Think I should. The new shafts are super light, they swing easy, lie seems close. They are built long, my Apex’s are I think 1/2” over but the HM are same length club to club. Head size is inspiring to look down at, a bit of offset I actually prefer. Maybe range tomorrow.

I thought about doing that (buying a set of 921 HM off the wall) just while I’m waiting for my custom order to be built. I’m ready to embrace the forgiveness.

I thought about doing that (buying a set of 921 HM off the wall) just while I’m waiting for my custom order to be built. I’m ready to embrace the forgiveness.
Such a good lineup top to bottom

Hit a few of @Lions81 921 Forged on course today. Man they feel and sound so good when struck well even in 40* temps.

You can chase that feeling again when get together to play

Back