Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

Really good looking set from Mizuno, this will be a good review to follow.

Hoping to get out tomorrow with these, in the meantime, I went back to the original EZ release pics I took...I'd say these are a marked improvement aesthetically...

DSC_0808-XL.jpg

DSC_0446-XL.jpg

Looks of the new version are 1000x better than the last one. It's not even close, IMO.

The new ones are definitely much better looking. I hated it when I first saw them, but they performed well enough I got over it. When they came out it was the year of orange. Cally came out with the X2 Hots at about the same time.

Improved, yes. I also really like the original and I'm probably on an island with that thought.

Looks of the new version are 1000x better than the last one. It's not even close, IMO.

I agree, and from their standpoint, a look that will appeal to a much broader spectrum as there's no real turnoff with it.

Opinions obviously will vary, but this is a perfect example of not needing a bright color to make a look stand out. Same could be said about the 850 Forged.

IMO these clubs look better in hand as well. They really are a great looking club, and I would love to see that finish on some more of the other lines of theirs moving forward.

Mizuno sure knows how to make a pretty iron. Not sure I'll ever get my hands on these, as I'm just not in the market for irons, nor do I expect to be for a long time, but these are very, very nice looking. Awesome pics as always, James.

I absolutely love everything about the looks on these.

Good looking irons with not too much offset. The triple cut sole jumped out at me immediately as being a similar concept as the V-sole which is a fantastic thing.

Not really all that familiar sadly, other than holding in hand once or twice. I will say I do think there are similar in finish, but these have a touch more gold hue in them if that makes sense. I said last iteration I thought the orange badging took away from a good looking iron, and I think this release proves that as true as these are pretty dang slick/unique in hand.

Thanks James! I would say the top line appears to be a bit bigger than the CB3's, but nothing that would keep me from playing them. These will get hit!

We should meet up in West Virginia soon, or something. They're right up your alley.

Hoping to get out tomorrow with them for some getting to know you time.
I'll drive…and by that I mean I have a bunch of southwest drink tickets collecting dust.

Great pictures James. They addressed my major complaint with the previous version with ditching the orange color. What a huge leap forward in the looks department these are. Mizuno irons don't seem to line up to my eye for some reason, but I'd definitely be interested in swinging these for sure.

Definitely getting out with these today for a bit, straight to the course, no warm up time.

Definitely getting out with these today for a bit, straight to the course, no warm up time.

Excited to hear the feedback. Need to take a few swipes with these once I find a demo.

Excited to hear the feedback. Need to take a few swipes with these once I find a demo.

Hopefully its empty enough I can get the monitor out with me on a couple of the holes to get some early data too, we shall see though!

Hopefully its empty enough I can get the monitor out with me on a couple of the holes to get some early data too, we shall see though!

How would you rate the size of these up against the 545s? I am looking for possibly moving to another iron set and this in between GI category is really my comfort zone.

Another set of great looking irons there. Thanks for the detailed pics! Those definitely look better than the original, IMO. Can't wait to see what you think after you hit them.

How would you rate the size of these up against the 545s? I am looking for possibly moving to another iron set and this in between GI category is really my comfort zone.

545 are smaller heel to toe, thinner topline, less offset I believe, and a wider sole.

Alllllllright, so, I got some pretty solid getting to know you work in with these yesterday. Had a little range time, and a little course time and there are some early thoughts for sure based on what I saw....

• The shape and size is definitely bigger than what I am used to right now with the XRP, but its nothing obnoxious. Will say that a rounded topline could have made all the difference in the world here. Its definitely a very GI setup/shape, which is not a bad thing, but those looking for more of a players/GI blend should probably look towards the 850 Forged.
  • XP95's continue to be extremely underappreciated shafts and a good pairing here for who these are aimed at, easy launch, great stability, and a decent feel.
  • Everything that the previous version missed on for in terms of "feel" compared to what I consider "Mizuno feel", these corrected. The sensation at impact is really really nice, its got a very deep solidity to it, no high pitched click, no harshness, just what I would call a solid plushness (yes, I know that makes no sense, but its what I have right now, and it honestly does make sense)
  • Launch/Spin appears to be where it SHOULD have been last time around, definitely higher launchers as I was hitting 32y apex point through most of the set, but it was never a flight which I consider to be at a point of diminishing returns like with the last version of the EZ Forged.
  • Distance is solid, I was seeing about 164 out of the 8i, so not the longest set for me, but also longer that what I got out of the previous iteration. I'm sure this will change a bit as I get used to them, should have a really good workout coming for them next week.
  • Thank you again for going with a quality grip Mizuno. Now hopefully even more will follow suit.
  • The finish looks badass in the bag, just as it does in the pics. That said, there is some brushing and lightening on the soles already. Nothing extreme, and I will get some pics tonight or tomorrow, but its definitely altered a bit, could also be in large part the new "sheen" wearing off through the turf, but I'll let you all decide when the images go up.
  • The sole has me the most enamored right now. I hit them off hardpan, from rough, off a soaked lie, and a fairway trap...and had no issues with any digging or bouncing in any situation. Its not V-Sole level interaction for me, but for the sole size I think its going to really start to be a standout feature in these over time during this review.

As always, if you have any Q's please feel free to ask!

Great thoughts James. The sole is one of those things that I noticed first about this set of irons and it's great to hear it's working well for you.

Outstanding pictures as usual James. Solid plushness? Scary that you might be rubbing off on me, but it does actually make sense. :act-up:

Solid initial range/course thoughts. I'm glad that Mizuno seems to have corrected the launch issue from the previous version. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts as you spend more time with them.

Thanks for the initial review of these James. The ponder seems to be growing stronger with each read about these.

I got these 6-gw with xp115 stiff. They were great the first time put. Not as long or soft as i thought they would be but weather is in the 40s. Playing again tomorrow but with the same weather conditions.

Thoughts right now:

1) THANK YOU for ditching the orange badging Mizzy, it looked tacky, this badging lets a pretty cool finish be just that, pretty cool.

2) SO nice to see quality grips on an iron set, GP NDMC's in Mizuno blue were a good choice.

3) I really am eager to see if they have fixed the launch issues from the last version as there is a chance for this iron to really hit a demographic they want/need to quite well.

Darnit!!! I wasn't going to buy anything but the M1 next year, but I might need these instead.

Darnit!!! I wasn't going to buy anything but the M1 next year, but I might need these instead.

Go hit them. Only way to ever be sure, besides, you have some damn good irons in your bag right now.

Back