Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

A couple of year's ago, a version of the Mizuno EZs were shown to be one of the most popular game improvement clubs in the magazine club tests. I contacted the Mizuno website to get some additional information. Unfortunately, Mizuno did not see the need to make a left handed model in those specific clubs. They explained that it was economics, not enough demand for the clubs by lefties. Fortunately, Callaway values us lefties and I let them know how much I appreciated it.

I don't know near as much about club construction as the experts on here, but I am intrigued by a forged club that also has GI / forgiveness benefits. I've never, to my knowledge, hit a forged iron before. The feel on the EZ Forged was really pleasant to hit and the distance / forgiveness was top notch. I have no doubt I would enjoy them. options, options....

A couple of year's ago, a version of the Mizuno EZs were shown to be one of the most popular game improvement clubs in the magazine club tests. I contacted the Mizuno website to get some additional information. Unfortunately, Mizuno did not see the need to make a left handed model in those specific clubs. They explained that it was economics, not enough demand for the clubs by lefties. Fortunately, Callaway values us lefties and I let them know how much I appreciated it.

Those clubs had issues. Magazine "reviews" don't always get into that. Thorough review on both the EZ and EZ Forged set on the THP homepage.

I don't know near as much about club construction as the experts on here, but I am intrigued by a forged club that also has GI / forgiveness benefits. I've never, to my knowledge, hit a forged iron before. The feel on the EZ Forged was really pleasant to hit and the distance / forgiveness was top notch. I have no doubt I would enjoy them. options, options....

IMO, its overrated in terms of performance. The forged monniker is much more mental/feel which is a-ok.

I like the looks of these over the original. Mizuno has a good iron herd and those looking for a forgiving iron should consider this.

I haven't been a big fan of many Mizuno iron sets but I really enjoyed these. I was surprised with the distance I was getting and they felt really well balanced and smooth during the swing. The size was larger than I was expecting that's not to say they are big fat shovels I was just thinking they would be smaller.

Nice set of sticks.

They're solid for sure. Light years better than the last version, on looks and performance.

They're solid for sure. Light years better than the last version, on looks and performance.

How would you say these compare to the Srixon 545s in feel, forgiveness, and distance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How would you say these compare to the Srixon 545s in feel, forgiveness, and distance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd honestly put all three of those in the 545 camp. But, its close.

I just picked up a set of these from Golfsmith. Can't wait to get out and play in the morning. My handicap is sitting at a 8.2 at the moment so we will see how I get along with these on the course.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

These do look great, i love my last years EZ forged. I have no launch issues, but that probably is a situational issue. I love mine, the next set will either be MP5s or whatever next blade they come out with! Great review! If the finish is as rugged as the last models, it will wear very nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

As much as I lived the looks abs feel of these the performance just wasn't there so I took them back to Golfsmith and exchanged them for the Srixon Z545/Z745 combo set. Yes I was fit for both sets. I lost 2 club lengths with the mizzys for some reason.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nice B79, glad you found something that works!

Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

Last month I sold my CF16s with the intent of moving to the Cobra One Length irons. After hitting the One Lengths, I decided they weren't for me after all.

That put me on a quest to find new irons & I remembered how much I liked the looks of these when they came out. IMO, they are the best looking GI iron I've ever seen.

I picked up a set of 4-GW with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts while I was on my lunch break today & managed to get out for a quick 9 holes this afternoon.

Even with a shaft that I haven't liked in other irons, the initial trial run was a nice surprise. I shot a 38 with 5 pars, 3 bogeys & a birdie.

I was rewarded nicely for good swings & got better results than I should have on mediocre swings, especially on the toe side.

Perfect example was hole #3. I hit my best shot of the round with the 6i to 8' dead even with the flag from 166 yards. When I looked at the club face to see confirm where I made impact, I was surprised to see this.
7a39e61f2f56c6e6c6fe295e42afd209.jpg

And here is the result:
3a867ea7564bd852dcf42ddb44157014.jpg

2 holes later on the next par 3, I pulled the 6i again & hit the ball on the exact same spot on the club face. This time I ended up a yard short of the green due to the wind that was blowing directly at me.

210b043af1a72d286e03c71dbefb3b54.jpg

The irons feel & perform like I'd hoped & the XP 95s might even get to stay in the heads if they keep working like they did today. More to come.

Nice pick and score. I'm thinking of trying to trade my S55's for a set of these.

Nice pick and score. I'm thinking of trying to trade my S55's for a set of these.
I think you'd like them. It seems like they will give me exactly what I was looking for. Better than average & consistent distance, great accuracy & they look good enough to make you want to keep them in the bag a long time.

I think you'd like them. It seems like they will give me exactly what I was looking for. Better than average & consistent distance, great accuracy & they look good enough to make you want to keep them in the bag a long time.

No doubt about it. I really liked them when they were released.

Last month I sold my CF16s with the intent of moving to the Cobra One Length irons. After hitting the One Lengths, I decided they weren't for me after all.

That put me on a quest to find new irons & I remembered how much I liked the looks of these when they came out. IMO, they are the best looking GI iron I've ever seen.

I picked up a set of 4-GW with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts while I was on my lunch break today & managed to get out for a quick 9 holes this afternoon.

Even with a shaft that I haven't liked in other irons, the initial trial run was a nice surprise. I shot a 38 with 5 pars, 3 bogeys & a birdie.

I was rewarded nicely for good swings & got better results than I should have on mediocre swings, especially on the toe side.

Perfect example was hole #3. I hit my best shot of the round with the 6i to 8' dead even with the flag from 166 yards. When I looked at the club face to see confirm where I made impact, I was surprised to see this.

And here is the result:

2 holes later on the next par 3, I pulled the 6i again & hit the ball on the exact same spot on the club face. This time I ended up a yard short of the green due to the wind that was blowing directly at me.

The irons feel & perform like I'd hoped & the XP 95s might even get to stay in the heads if they keep working like they did today. More to come.
Is this your subtle way of coaxing me into buying your next set for sale??? Me, being the king of toe side mis-hits? ?

Good luck with 'em!

And here is the result:

so what is the pros cons on these versus the cf16s? thanks for your input

so what is the pros cons on these versus the cf16s? thanks for your input
I'm going to need more than 9 holes to be able to give you a good answer, but there are some basic differences.

The EZ is a little longer heel to toe & taller sole to top line.

I think the triple cut sole on the EZ helps prevent digging.more than the sole of the CF16s. The ground was pretty wet and both the shots I hit fat with the EZ still came up with decent results. The divot was long, but stayed pretty shallow.

I rented some time on the simulator at the local golf shop this afternoon to get some more swings in with the JPX EZ Forged irons . I also brought along the PW, 8i, 6i & 4i from the TEE E8s I bought right after I sold the CF16s to use as a direct comparison. The E8s have been surprisingly good for me, but the club ho in me could not resist the beauty of the EZs.

Here are my numbers on well struck balls in a head to head comparison.

E8 w/ Recoil 760 F4 shafts:
PW - 126 carry
8i - 148 carry
6i - 168 carry
4i - 191 carry

JPX EZ Forged w/ XP95 Stiff:
PW - 123 carry
8i - 145 carry
6i - 167 carry
4i - 185 carry

Luckily the shop had the full Mizuno fitting cart, so I asked them to put a Recoil 95 F4 into an EZ Forged 6i head to see how much effect the shaft would have. Right away, I saw a jump in distance without any loss of accuracy. The feel with the Recoils was soooooo much better than with the XP95s as well.

One thing I am definitely liking about the EZ Forged is the ball flight. It is more penetrating than the E8s & the CF16s. I tend to hit balloon balls with my irons, but the EZ Forged helped lower the trajectory.

I rented some time on the simulator at the local golf shop this afternoon to get some more swings in with the JPX EZ Forged irons . I also brought along the PW, 8i, 6i & 4i from the TEE E8s I bought right after I sold the CF16s to use as a direct comparison. The E8s have been surprisingly good for me, but the club ho in me could not resist the beauty of the EZs.

Here are my numbers on well struck balls in a head to head comparison.

E8 w/ Recoil 760 F4 shafts:
PW - 126 carry
8i - 148 carry
6i - 168 carry
4i - 191 carry

JPX EZ Forged w/ XP95 Stiff:
PW - 123 carry
8i - 145 carry
6i - 167 carry
4i - 185 carry

Luckily the shop had the full Mizuno fitting cart, so I asked them to put a Recoil 95 F4 into an EZ Forged 6i head to see how much effect the shaft would have. Right away, I saw a jump in distance without any loss of accuracy. The feel with the Recoils was soooooo much better than with the XP95s as well.

One thing I am definitely liking about the EZ Forged is the ball flight. It is more penetrating than the E8s & the CF16s. I tend to hit balloon balls with my irons, but the EZ Forged helped lower the trajectory.

well before i bought my cf16s , i really wanted the jpx 900 forged but then i saw the hot metals and and the ez but then i read about the cf16 , well i do like them but i dont love them especially after i grabbed my old mp29 japan and felt real forged irons at the range , but i know i dont play enough to warrant going back to the mp29s in game play, but i could not really see the big difference in the cf16 vs. my mp 29 japan , , so now i want some mizunos new style , so i bought me some jpx 900 hot metals after hitting them both , i have not recieved them yet , if they dont work out then im going ex forged smh i guess im a club ho as well lol

And here is the result:

Thanks for your thoughts, keep posting. I have been eyeing these on ebay, they are going pretty cheap. Can't decide between these or the regular model but I agree, some of the best looking IMO

Thanks for your thoughts, keep posting. I have been eyeing these on ebay, they are going pretty cheap. Can't decide between these or the regular model but I agree, some of the best looking IMO

I have had both sets and much prefer the Forged. I still game the forged.
The Forged at address still give loads of confidence with the thicker topline. And enough offset to not scare me away. Same as Shakey has seen I have seen toe hits be very minimal in the distance loss and howler offline they go. The sole is awesome for turf interaction. really really love them. Would love to try a set of recoils in these but even so for my first set of steel shafted irons I am really loving the way these play for me.

Back