Mizuno ST-G Titanium Fairway Woods

I remain very committed to the ST-G 3 wood. I have let 3 woods that I really liked get away from me before. Not this time. I continue to have it set at 14* and shafted with a Graphite Design Tour AD HD 6S shaft. I hit it a few times tonight and Swing Caddy gave me numbers that I believe to be consistent with what I experience out on the course. It remains good off the tee or fairway. For a short time, I thought I might go with a two driver setup, but that would have required pulling this club out of the bag. I just can’t do it.

IMG_6531.jpeg

I hit 3 wood off the tee twice today on the same holes at my home course where I usually hit 3 wood. I couldn’t hope to find a better 3 wood.

IMG_6553.pngIMG_6554.png

I love the ST-G 5 wood. It is so easy to hit. Played it off the tee and deck with no issues. It elevates easily as well. Really makes me ponder a 7 wood.

I was actually really surprised with how easily the ball was able to get up in the air vs the 3 wood I play.

I was actually really surprised with how easily the ball was able to get up in the air vs the 3 wood I play.
I was surprised with the launch and ball flight of the 3w. For being such a low spin option I thought for sure I'd have problems elevating it. I think the Ventus Blue is such a great matchup with that head and is helping me get it into a great window.

I was surprised with the launch and ball flight of the 3w. For being such a low spin option I thought for sure I'd have problems elevating it. I think the Ventus Blue is such a great matchup with that head and is helping me get it into a great window.
I need to hit the 3 wood. I have an older cobra right now.

According to Shot Scope, my performance average with 3 wood is 271 yards. I am sure that won’t last, but it is kind of shocking to me.

IMG_6596.jpeg

According to Shot Scope, my performance average with 3 wood is 271 yards. I am sure that won’t last, but it is kind of shocking to me.

View attachment 9252707
I guess the average Tour pro off the tee box would produce similar numbers to yours. Off a tee relatively little distance difference between driver and 3-wood is a primary reason that I recommend players, especially long hitting players, swing 3-wood from more tee boxes.

I guess the average Tour pro off the tee box would produce similar numbers to yours. Off a tee relatively little distance difference between driver and 3-wood is a primary reason that I recommend players, especially long hitting players, swing 3-wood from more tee boxes.
Those are kind words. However, people who know me, know that I live in Utah and play at a higher elevation than most, so I definitely don‘t hit it that far at sea level. More likely, the distance would be 250 to 255, but that is still wonderful for me for a 3 wood. The other thing that I would say is that the difference between my 3 wood and driver is 19 yards, based on the Shot Scope data. I would not call that relatively little distance. That is easily a club and a half less club into the green, which makes a huge difference.

Another course where the trouble forces me to use a 3 wood on a couple of holes. I have so much confidence that this club will be in the fairway off the tee, something that I have not felt very often with 3 wood off the tee. The hole below is one that vexes me, because you have to hit it about 260 yards off the tee to give yourself a decent approach, but you only have about 280 yards until you run into a small lake. This 3 wood is the perfect tee club for the hole.

IMG_6606.png

Too bad I three putted the hole, LOL.

Reeeeeeeaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyy excited that I’m going to get to hit the 5W next week at Briggs.

Gotta figure out what shaft to tip for it, but man I’m pumped to mess with it at both ends of the loft sleeve spectrum.

My biggest question, is does this get a 5W back in the bag? A 7W couldn’t do it long term, but maybe a deep faced 5W like this beast?

My biggest question, is does this get a 5W back in the bag? A 7W couldn’t do it long term, but maybe a deep faced 5W like this beast?
The 3w is deadly consistent and long, I’d venture to guess that the 5w is going to be solid for you as well. Does it bump anything you’ve got out? I don’t know where it would slot for you? In place of UW?

The 3w is deadly consistent and long, I’d venture to guess that the 5w is going to be solid for you as well. Does it bump anything you’ve got out? I don’t know where it would slot for you? In place of UW?
Probably, unless it’s just so silly easy and keeps enough distance I’d consider putting it at 16 and playing it like a 4w.

I'm still in complete love with this STG 3W. Some beautiful bombs with it today on a few holes. Hit it off the deck 230 into a par 5 it hit the green but didn't hold and ended up just off the fringe long.

Probably, unless it’s just so silly easy and keeps enough distance I’d consider putting it at 16 and playing it like a 4w.
Well 3W for me is never “easy” I’m usually about one out of every 3 getting a less than ideal strike. However, when I do manage to put a good move on the ball, it goes and goes and goes. It’s pretty sick really when I think about it…

I feel like I'm in complete control of the STG 3 right now. 2 and 3 at my club are both 3w off the tee holes for me. I like to draw it on 2 bc the fairway runs left to right and feeds into the woods, on 3 I like to play a cut because it gives me a good look in from 100.

Executed both to perfection today.

View attachment Cut and Draw 3w.mov

Sound is so damn good too!

View attachment 9214593

This is the one that has a real shot at my bag. It's the shape and size I like. Like the front edge look. It will get a chance to compete for the 5W spot.
I don’t know how I haven’t looked through this thread before but I love that super deep face! I’m going to have to go look at this and see how it sets up and hits very soon.

It’s been cold, wet, and windy here. But I’ll take these numbers. On a par 5 I took a double 3 wood. And I love the results. This is a second driver to me and I’m just so happy how easy it is to get these shots up in the air and moving.

Attachments

• IMG_1650.jpeg
    IMG_1650.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1651.jpeg
    IMG_1651.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 6
Going to have some fun with this….

IMG_6611.jpeg

Enjoy it. I love it so much.

For me, I now keep this in the bag over a 5. I used to be a 5 only. Now I sit with a 3 and a 7. Your distances are different, but this is now a mini driver for me. I've got a couple of trickier fairway par 5's on courses near me, and I end up with this off the tee and then shot 2 as well.

Interested to see your feedback on it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far!

Going to have some fun with this….

View attachment 9257496
I think it’s still the best looking fairway on the market currently. Curious to hear some feedback on this guy. Only thing, is I wish it was standard at 19*, which would allow me to play a 3hl (4w) without having to close the face too much on the 5w.

I may look at buying a 3 wood at some point. The 5 wood is sooo good.

IMG_6614.jpeg

This one was a lot of fun the last couple days. I didn’t hit it perfect, but I saw enough on the range and a couple of the swings on course to merit a real shot over the UW.

That said, I could see it ending up strong to replace a 3w as well.

Lots and lots of potential.

Back