Mizuno ST-G Titanium Fairway Woods

I was playing a sim round a few days ago. The hole in question was a 530 yard par 4. I had about 250 to the pin and hit this 3 wood. The shot felt great and the ball stopped about two feet from the hole. This is exactly why I love having a 3 wood that I can hit with confidence from the deck.

IMG_6338.png

Last edited:
I’m debating between the st-g ti and stealth plus for 5 wood spot.

If I didn’t already have a super deep faced 3w….

IMG_5954.jpeg

IMG_5953.jpeg

IMG_5952.jpeg

I was on TrackMan today and was seeing some ball speeds that were nearing my driver. Pretty crazy stuff.

Yesterday I received an ST-G 440 3-wood with LIN Q M40X 6F4 shaft. I've never before hit any shots with this head or shaft but hope to try it out at the driving range today or tomorrow. It's been about 2 years since I had a 3-wood in the bag. My current set up is driver, 5-wood, 3 and 4 hybrid.
Hopefully this new 3-wood will become a good tee box club for me that on my home course I could use on five of the par 4 holes and one of the par 5 holes.

Yesterday I received an ST-G 440 3-wood with LIN Q M40X 6F4 shaft. I've never before hit any shots with this head or shaft but hope to try it out at the driving range today or tomorrow. It's been about 2 years since I had a 3-wood in the bag. My current set up is driver, 5-wood, 3 and 4 hybrid.
Hopefully this new 3-wood will become a good tee box club for me that on my home course I could use on five of the par 4 holes and one of the par 5 holes.
Let us know how it goes. I love the 5 wood. So easy to hit off the tee or the deck.

Let us know how it goes. I love the 5 wood. So easy to hit off the tee or the deck.
My plan has been to try the 3-wood first knowing that I have 90 days to exchange it for a 5-wood. If after a few rounds of golf I find the 3-wood just produces low bullet shots and, or is not especially accurate, I will send the 3-wood back to TGW and request a 5-wood.

Wait, and this is a sincere question, weren’t you advocating that people should be hitting 3 wood off the tee in another thread and while doing that, you haven’t actually been carrying a 3 wood? That having been said, I hope it works for you. I absolutely love mine. It is one of the very best 3 woods that I have ever owned.

Wait, and this is a sincere question, weren’t you advocating that people should be hitting 3 wood off the tee in another thread and while doing that, you haven’t actually been carrying a 3 wood? That having been said, I hope it works for you. I absolutely love mine. It is one of the very best 3 woods that I have ever owned.
I advocate less than driver from many tee boxes. Most people want to hit driver from every par 4 and par 5 tee box, and as such they don't want to hit a 3-wood, so suggesting less than 3-wood is not a welcome message. Without a 3-wood in the bag I use a 5-wood, sometimes a 3-hybrid.

Today I was able to visit a driving range and give my new ST-D 440 3-wood some swings. For tee boxes I tee up a fairway wood very low, similar to the height one might use for a par-3 iron club tee shot. Unfortunately for the driving range synthetic mats I did not have any super low rubber tees, nor did the range provide them, so I did not hit any 3-wood shots from a tee. I did strike 6 or 7 balls from the worn synthetic mats and all were consistently straight, low trajectory, and landing with hot bounce and roll.
My guess is that on the course from a fairway lie for me this club will probably produce low trajectory , low spin bounce and rollers. From a lie sitting on a tee but will find out when I play a round of golf.
On the positive side I liked very much the swing feel of the LIN Q MX40 red shaft. Stable with no loose or whippy feel. Also I liked very much this club's impact sound-feel, which to my ears was dense-solid, nearly persimmon-like. This was a pleasant surprise because I had expected an all titanium fairway metal head to have at least a somewhat loud-hollow sound-feel.

Today for the first time I had the ST-G 3-wood out on the course and played it from six par 4 tee boxes. The final two tee box shots were the best, which I attribute to gaining familiarity with the new club. Strong positives were the dense-muted impact sound-feel. Also I like the head size and shape for tee box play.

Warmer weather here in Ohio meant I actually got to go hit a range yesterday afternoon. Think I've said it already but going to reiterate, my swing has seen a layoff due to the weather and as such I limited myself to 5 swings with the 3W. All 3 went left, but that is 100% the janky swing that I've got currently.

Still extremely excited to get this in play for all of '24 and hope mother nature continues to be kind to us MW folks!

Today I played my second round with the ST-G 400 3-wood. I swung it from 3 tee boxes and 4 fairway lies. Off the tee all three of the shots were solid-square strikes with a medium height trajectory. From the fairway lies all shots went straight with a low trajectory. For the total of 7 shots, I liked the impact sound-feel very much.
Next week when I play this club again, before the round I will probably crank the loft up a degree, from 15* to 16*. Hopefully that change will elevate my fairway shots a little bit but not make the tee box shots too high.

Today I played my second round with the ST-G 400 3-wood. I swung it from 3 tee boxes and 4 fairway lies. Off the tee all three of the shots were solid-square strikes with a medium height trajectory. From the fairway lies all shots went straight with a low trajectory. For the total of 7 shots, I liked the impact sound-feel very much.
Next week when I play this club again, before the round I will probably crank the loft up a degree, from 15* to 16*. Hopefully that change will elevate my fairway shots a little bit but not make the tee box shots too high.
Are you seeing the distances that you would be hoping for, both off the tee and the fairway?

Are you seeing the distances that you would be hoping for, both off the tee and the fairway?
In recent weeks Northern California has had lots of rain, and the courses are saturated, so no bounce and roll. My guess is that once the ground is dry the STG 3-wood shots will produce a bit more bounce and roll for me than a normal 3-wood. For carry distance I've seen no increase versus a normal 3-wood, but that is probably because the ST-G was designed for a higher swing speed player than myself.
Rather than distance, the primary reasons I expect to keep this new club in the bag are the pleasing impact sound-feel and the straight-shot-accuracy.

In recent weeks Northern California has had lots of rain, and the courses are saturated, so no bounce and roll. My guess is that once the ground is dry the STG 3-wood shots will produce a bit more bounce and roll for me than a normal 3-wood. For carry distance I've seen no increase versus a normal 3-wood, but that is probably because the ST-G was designed for a higher swing speed player than myself.
Rather than distance, the primary reasons I expect to keep this new club in the bag are the pleasing impact sound-feel and the straight-shot-accuracy.
When I purchased mine, it was kind of hit and miss until I put a different shaft in it and the club then came alive for me. It now generates tremendous ball speed, relative to my swing speed. I love the club.

When I purchased mine, it was kind of hit and miss until I put a different shaft in it and the club then came alive for me. It now generates tremendous ball speed, relative to my swing speed. I love the club.
I like the 3-wood's LIN Q M40X 6 weight shaft because it's smooth enough without being too loose, and it's also not too stout-rigid feeling. I like it enough to seek out a 5 weight version of the same shaft to try in my ST-Z 220 driver.

3W did its job on the two shots I used it for today. I can safely rely on this club to be a 220-yard screaming bullet that stays on its line. As long as I aim correctly I know that it's going to end up 200+ yards directly where the face is pointing. That's nice to have.

IMG_5952.jpeg

This.

This is why I keep a keen eye on the Bay for one of these.

DEEP.

I want the 5W so bad I can’t stand it.

I've now played 8 rounds of golf with my ST-G 3-wood, Lin Q M40X Red 6F4 shaft. I've tried the 15*, 16* and 17* loft settings. For me each of those lofts produce accurate straight shots. Off a tee the 15* trajectory is a bit too low, 16* is medium-low, 17* trajectory is ideal medium high, no excess spin or ballooning shots.
Off the ground for me the 15* trajectory is too low, 16* or 17* loft is fine.
This time of year the ground is too wet to have any bounce and roll, but for carry yardage I am not seeing average to below average distance. When the ground firms up I am curious to learn if this club produces shot with exceptionally strong bounce and roll. For impact-sound and accuracy this club is a keeper. For exceptional distance this club probably needs to be swung with a faster swing speed than I achieve.

I am still enjoying the ST-G fairway wood. Really easy to hit off the tee or deck. Never had a 5 wood and this slots in the bag nicely. Get plenty of elevation with it to have stopping power!

Max is getting some love from Voshall. Cool tech dive.

Last edited:
Back