Mizuno ST-G Titanium Fairway Woods

Have I mentioned lately how much I adore this 3w.

#2 is a tight hole that has the fairway sloping right to left and feeding directly to the woods. I never hit driver here. It’s always either a 3w or hybrid.

I’ve played this hole a couple hundred in the past 2 years. Today in wet sloppy conditions with next to zero roll out I hit the STG 3 wood furthest down the fairway I’ve ever been.
IMG_7809.jpeg
IMG_7810.png
For perspective I hit a well struck driver usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 260.

I’m watching for the ST Max Driver due to release in February.
It’s supposed to be at the PGAS.

I’m watching for the ST Max Driver due to release in February.
It’s supposed to be at the PGAS.
Vosh and Jay Smiff just did a Mizuno Live where they talked a lot about the Max at the start.

@Vosh68 has me very interested but he could sell me on ice in the middle of Ohio winter TBH.

Vosh and Jay Smiff just did a Mizuno Live where they talked a lot about the Max at the start.

@Vosh68 has me very interested but he could sell me on ice in the middle of Ohio winter TBH.

I watched this and the 245s were also jaw dropping.

This 3 wood is really entrenching itself in my bag. This is a par 4 that is uphill to the green. There is lots of trouble around the green, so I never hit driver. Instead, I usually hit 3 wood and aim at the left edge of the fairway bunker, trying to draw the ball into the opening, which leaves a little wedge into the green.

Today, it was cold, about 43*. The fairways were wet. I hit my ball and it didn’t draw. No matter, I flew over the fairway bunker. It is one of the best tee shots of my life on this hole and I have played it many times.

IMG_6223.png

Some positive commentary here at this thread so I ordered an ST-G 440 3-wood. I believe the last time I played an all titanium 3-wood was more than 20 years ago, the original Callaway Hawkeye Titanium. That one sounded a bit loud so I am hoping this new Mizuno is an improvement.
The top of my bag for awhile now has been ST-Z 220 driver and ST-X 5-wood, so I have room for a 3-wood.

There are two parts of my bag that are untouchable, going into 2024. The first is my irons. The second is this 3 wood. Every once in awhile, you find something that fits perfectly. This is one of those clubs. It is a great tee club for those holes where I cannot hit driver. It is also fantastic off of the fairway. Great distance. Easy to elevate. I am so glad that I tried a different shaft in it before deciding that it wasn’t a club for me. we often hear the advice that when you find a great 3 wood, hang onto it. I have made the mistake previously of thinking there would be something better, but not this time.

I am so glad that I tried a different shaft in it before deciding that it wasn’t a club for me. we often hear the advice that when you find a great 3 wood, hang onto it.
Which shaft (s) have you had in your ST-G Ti 3-wood?

Which shaft (s) have you had in your ST-G Ti 3-wood?
I started with the stock Kai’li Blue 70. I just couldn’t deliver the head consistently. I don’t know why, but those Kai’li shafts don’t fit me. I threw in a Graphite Design AD HD 60S and it became a completely different club.

Last edited:
I need better weather!!

Prior to the wifey's surgery last week I took the bag to Top Golf (rest of the ranges around here are closed) and got a chance to hit the FW and Driver with TG balls. It's exactly as I had remembered and experienced at the tail end of the season, looooooong. I've got my winter swing going right now, so it's a tad bit all over the place but for the most part I saw a little draw and long into the back net with all but the first few swings here.

FW for me has never been an off the tee option, as I have always tried to have faith in my driver to get me in the fairway or to bomb and gouge the course. I think I'm going to try to change that mindset this year- and remove the 2nd driver from the repertoire.

More to come when I find a simulator that's not broken all the time!

FW for me has never been an off the tee option, as I have always tried to have faith in my driver to get me in the fairway or to bomb and gouge the course. I think I'm going to try to change that mindset this year- and remove the 2nd driver from the repertoire.
Consider that the smaller head size and shorter shaft of a 3-wood tends to promote better rhythm and tempo swings than does a large head longer shafted driver.
I am not suggesting abandoning the driver is a good idea, but for some players swinging driver only 5 or 6 times per round (instead of from 14 tee boxes ) does help the swing tempo for all the clubs within the bag.

This 5W vs DARKSPEED 5W is on my mind.

Consider that the smaller head size and shorter shaft of a 3-wood tends to promote better rhythm and tempo swings than does a large head longer shafted driver.
I am not suggesting abandoning the driver is a good idea, but for some players swinging driver only 5 or 6 times per round (instead of from 14 tee boxes ) does help the swing tempo for all the clubs within the bag.
Very very valid points- I'm one who plays two drivers though, my ST-G is the short one playing just slightly longer than a standard 3W, and then my ST-Z plays at the standard length. For me, I'm debating dropping the STZ from the bag entirely just based on how well the STG has performed.

Very very valid points- I'm one who plays two drivers though, my ST-G is the short one playing just slightly longer than a standard 3W, and then my ST-Z plays at the standard length. For me, I'm debating dropping the STZ from the bag entirely just based on how well the STG has performed.
Which ST-G driver model do you play? I made a few swings with the ST-G 220 and could not get the ball to carry far enough, so I continue to play my ST-Z 10.5* driver.
Eventually I will get around to trying an ST-X driver or maybe the forthcoming ST MAX, to learn how those models compare to the ST-Z.

Which ST-G driver model do you play? I made a few swings with the ST-G 220 and could not get the ball to carry far enough, so I continue to play my ST-Z 10.5* driver.
Eventually I will get around to trying an ST-X driver or maybe the forthcoming ST MAX, to learn how those models compare to the ST-Z.
STG-230 that I received at the Victory Cup last year. However I played the ST-Z 230 all '23 in the lead up

STG-230 that I received at the Victory Cup last year. However I played the ST-Z 230 all '23 in the lead up
I thought the ST-G drivers went from ST-G 220 to ST-G 440 and don't remember an ST-G 230 model.

I really see the merit in a two driver setup and everyone’s swing is different. For me, though, a couple of these 3 woods are so hot off the face, they almost act as that second driver in the bag. I get that a driver head is so much bigger and has higher MOI, but when set up correctly, I have found the ST-G to be very easy to hit. The added bonus of having another good option off of the turf is huge.

This 5W vs DARKSPEED 5W is on my mind.
I haven’t looked into the DARKSPEED fairways, because I love what I have and my eye isn’t wandering, but if the ST-G 5 is anything like the 3 has been for me, it would be a fun shootout.

I haven’t looked into the DARKSPEED fairways, because I love what I have and my eye isn’t wandering, but if the ST-G 5 is anything like the 3 has been for me, it would be a fun shootout.
I think they would both be a blast for sure.

Got it! I've only swung the ST-G220 and am hoping for some direct-comparison review of the ST-G 220 vs ST-G 440. My guess is that they are similar, both designed for high swing speed players who want a driver which produces lower trajectory shots than the ST-Z or ST-X models. But I could be wrong, maybe the higher loft option of the 440 G model makes it a very different club compared to the 220 G model?

Back